Page 2 of 55 FirstFirst 1234561252 ... LastLast

Thread: Shawn's Sketchbook

When you aren't happy with it ... ERASE IT! spidey976's Avatar
    Thanks JLFG

I am looking to start posting here as often as I can ... especially since I might have trouble getting really finished pieces done ... being a new poppa and all. Though I have to say I am excited about drawing again ... for the first time in a long time. Honestly, when I first joined I took some of the posts about my Rob "Liefeld" like anatomy on the chin a bit. If you remember it was the World War Hulk piece I did awhile back that you commented on. However, when I look at the pieces that I have even just done rough sketches for since I joined PJ and started to try and study and hear the suggestions that people have made ... and well I already feel like some of them are a fair bit stronger ... and that makes me excited. So please keep critiquing and offering advice so that I can learn. Also, I have looked at Lomis ... thanks ... and I will keep checking it out.

Shawn
    Last edited by spidey976; 09-14-2007 at 09:07 PM.

Hey spidey ,

I looked through your work here . You showed some good stuff with good points , i liked your redesign of Captain America the best . You also showed some of the same problems over and over .

Only my opinion , don't have to take any of my advice but......

What i would start working on is the shoulder location on the body . Seen it over and over in each pic your putting them out to far from the neck and chest and it's putting off the whole figure . Try doing some relaxed figures with arms just hanging and bring those shoulders in about one shoulder width, then under the arms is gonna come in abit also .

I think it would improve your work right away .

hope that helps ya out .

Clint.

Back from the Lurking Abyss sadman2000's Avatar
    Agreed, You could really benefit from just stripping down to the bare essentials of art, don't worry about making that "awesome pose" or foreshortening. Just work on proportions on the figure in a static pose, while it may sound boring, It's a much faster to understand the way the human body is drawn compared to drawing action poses.
    Sorry, no time to talk. I'm busy drawing my books and stories! ;P

dA:

sadman2000.deviantart.com

My Blog:

http://www.penciljack.com/forum/show...?t=71674<br />

Thanks Dog and Sadman

Dog ... honestly please keep the tips/critiques coming ... I am here to learn. I am a, for the most part, a self trained artist, and know there are serious gaps in my skills and knowledge. I will be completely honest. When I first joined PJ a month ago I almost let my ego get in the way when people said I needed to study my anatomy more, but they were TOTALLY right. The studying I have been doing is the difference between the drawing of the old Captain America leaping and the Redesign I did (I think there is a big difference), which by I am glad that you liked it the best because it is my newest piece. The first finished piece since joining PJ. If I had let my ego get in the way ... well I wouldn't have made any progress ... and as I said above the progress is exciting for me. So PLEASE keep up the critiques.

Sadman I am going to be trying to study and work on your draw-off ... do a little of both ... lol ... and mainly look after the new baby ... . Please keep checking back .... I am looking forward to more constructive critisism.

Cheers

Hey Folks

Well ... I have barely any time to lay a line down this week ... but I did take Sadman's and Dogsoldier's advice ... and I did a very quick anatomy study ... taking in to acount their advice about the shoulders ... it isn't a really completed piece ... half the body isn't really around ... lol ... but I can really see what they were talking about ... so thanks guys ...comments???

Last edited by spidey976; 09-21-2007 at 06:47 PM.

Inker's Worst Nightmare JimLeeforGod's Avatar
    Right behind you.......turn....around! ;)
    Its already looking better Spidey. Nice work.
    I would go even further and maybe cut him
    another 1/2 head from the sides.

The one you have right now will work well for
    big strong characters. Superman, Thor, Captain
    America depending on which style you go for.
    But for normal figures you want to tone it down
    more.

Its alot of progress in a short period of time so
    keep it man.

I know it might be a little much right now but
    think of the muscles not being seperate from each
    other as blocks but entwining and layering on each
    other. Connected underneath overlapping to give the
    skeleton form. If you think of it that way it will look
    more fluid.

Like I said you've got alot of great advice from people
    so dont try to be too overwhlemed just put it in the
    back of your mind, you dont have to practice them all
    at once. Just keep practicing and it'll start clicking by
    itself.

Look forward to seeing more
    -JLFG

Vote Jim Lee for God!
    Vote Scott Williams for Vice God!

Deviant Art: http://jimleeforgod.deviantart.com/

Thanks JLFG ... I am glad you think I have come a fair bit ... . I have learned SO much from peoples comments in the last month ... and by studying what other people are doing. I really appreciate the advice and I'll listen to it all ... and try to work on it a bit at a time ... and bring a little bit into each piece. As for the size ... well I was going for a Cap or Supes ... lol ... I did a more traditional sized quick sketch ... and I will see if I can get a scan up a little later ... but this is the one I kind of darkened up enough to scan ... the other one is very mini ... . Thanks for the comments JLFG.

Back from the Lurking Abyss sadman2000's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by spidey976 View Post
    Hey Folks

Well ... I have barely any time to lay a line down this week ... but I did take Sadman's and Dogsoldier's advice ... and I did a very quick anatomy study ... taking in to acount their advice about the shoulders ... it isn't a really completed piece ... half the body isn't really around ... lol ... but I can really see what they were talking about ... so thanks guys ...comments???

This is pretty good, I'd watch your upper torso area as said before. I'll give a few tips on proportions.

1. The waist always lines up with the upward angle of the chest muscles.

2. the head of the figure is 1/3 of the width of the shoulders.

3. the heighth of the chest muscles is equal to the heighth of the head.

I hope those help man.

Later,

sadman2000
    Sorry, no time to talk. I'm busy drawing my books and stories! ;P

dA:

sadman2000.deviantart.com

My Blog:

http://www.penciljack.com/forum/show...?t=71674<br />

Thanks Sadman ... I will keep those in mind ...

Hey guys

Thanks agian for all of your suggestions I think they are really helping with my new stuff. Here is a quick pic of something I am working on for the fav characters draw-off. I is a picture I took with my digital cam ... so it isn't he best quality.