Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Thor - Digital Painting Practice

Thor - Digital Painting Practice

Hi Guys and Gals,

,I was inspired since completing my last painting so immediately got onto the next. this time choosing Marvel comic's Thor as the subject.
    I didn't want to go down the route of painting Chris Hemsworth though, as this would most likely then just end up a straight painting copy of the reference material and I wanted to do a more stand alone piece.

Sketchbook Pro used for initial sketch, Photoshop for the painting.

Straight Outta a Comic Book [SUPPORTER] Symson's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Very good painting. The awkward graphic diagonal shadows are distracting.

This looks like you used Dolph Lundgren as a reference.
    Inviting 100 artists to celebrate Kirby and Eisner Centennial Tribute Books

Joining you in the ABCs of faith - Action, Belief and Confidence

Thanks Symson,

It was indeed Dolph as reference, I tweaked some parts of his face (mainly his nose) to look a little more like the comic book version.
    I tried so many variants of the shadow and thought this was the better of them, maybe it'd have been to have it further over to the right, or lose it completely, thanks for the crit, I'll look at trying some other things in future paintings!

Looks really nice.

I'm a fan of cast shadows like this - implies a background and gives a piece a little more drama. To me though, the shadow seems too straight, cutting through the background and his face on nearly the same plane. Not sure it would be an improvement, but I'd lower the background shadow down to around to the disk on his right shoulder.

A small detail would be a bit of a squint, given the use of the shadow. But very nice piece.

Monkey with Crayons [Moderator] Veritas71's Avatar
    Have to agree about the cast shadows. Love em because of the extra drama, but the straight line across doesn't hold up. It would follow the volume of the objects, and the distance between objects would determine where the line falls. I also think the helmet and nose shadow should be closer in value. Same light source only a few inches apart for each object shaded. I might also try an add some texture to the cape, being it is so close to the viewer. Just a smidge, too much will kill it.

Nit picky stuff, cause I have to say I LOVE the rendering and likeness (dolph would have made a great thor).
    OPEN FOR COMMISSIONS!
    My Blog
    My DeviantART Page
    PUMMEL Statistics: 8 Wins - 3 Losses (6-KO's) 2 Month Champ

I have to agree, the shadow would've been better lower. And definitely more texture on both the cape and maybe even the rest of his costume.
    I did try the shadow out in a variety of positions and just couldn't settle on one that was perfect, so I think I ended up just making do with the way it is.
    Onwards to the next one, and hopefully to improving!

Thanks for the input, it's all very helpful and much appreciated!

I'm going to vote with the no shadow group. It's confusing, distracting, disorienting and has no relation to the portrait. So much so it becomes a game of "Where's Waldo." Is it an H, is it an A, is it Dr Strange's window, is it part of the Avenger's logo, where's the rest of the logo... Thor becomes unimportant to the point of being invisible.

While the face is very well rendered, there are serious structural issues. The helmet, seeming smaller than the skull, borders on 5D. The neck is overly long. Hairline-brow, brow-nose, nose-chin, chin-clavicle are equal measurements. The chin is buried into the neck; this only works if the chin goes into the divot of the clavicle which would cover the neck completely. The right half of his body is missing.

Surface with no structure is a house without a frame. One gentle breeze and it all falls down.

The anatomy is weird. The shadows aren't terrible but they also don't really add anything (other than confusion apparently). The metal is okay but the values are probably too muted. I like to look at medical equipment or precision engineering machinery. It tends to look pristine and really give a good visual reference for that stainless look. Kitchens catalogs can be helpful sometimes too but that lighting tends to be less harsh.. therefore less dramatic.
    I am always doing that which I cannot do, in order that I may learn how to do it. ~Pablo Picasso

my deviantart
    my sketchbook

Thanks for the crits, all taken onboard for the next painting!

I took some of the crits onboard and made some alterations, I'm now definitely leaving it as is, but it does indeed look a little better.
    Next time I'll spend a little longer on the initial sketch and get the proportions better first off.
    After consideration I also decided to leave the shadows, I could've placed them better but I do like the look, and that's how I'd originally planned to have the painting. I guess not everyone will like it but the main reason I'm doing these is to find a look that I like. I come from a cartooning background with little to no need for getting things to look uber real, but I'm having fun and learning so hopefully the rest will improve with practice.