Thread: Batman!

Illustration Batman!

Drawing Batman is my artistic equivalent of comfort food.
    1 hour, all Photoshop.
    I'm up for any feedback on this one.

I recorded my screen while I worked and put together a quick three-minute process video, too, if anybody's interested:

Looks great Steve, how do you do the zip a tone effect in photoshop?
    Last edited by Josem; 11-09-2017 at 02:48 PM.
    Middlweight | W:6 L:0 KOs:4 | Streetfights: W:2 L:0 kOs:1
    LightHeavies | W:7| L :3 KOs: ​6
    http://nabisga.deviantart.com/gallery/

I use a halftone pattern brush- just a hard round brush with a halftone texture. Nice thing about that is I can scale the texture up or down for fine or big dots.

There are several ways to mimic zipatone though, some of them might be quicker than my method for one-offs like this.

You can do a pattern fill on a multiply layer as well. Either use one of the premades or make one yourself. I think I made a few for different spacing. This method lacks the ability to be scaled offered from the brush method though.
    I am always doing that which I cannot do, in order that I may learn how to do it. ~Pablo Picasso

my deviantart
    my sketchbook

I like the piece. I think the arms are a little too different in size to be explained with perspective. His left arm is also in a bit of an awkward position (I just tried doing that with the palm facing the elbow with the arm at that angle.. it's just super weird). Maybe open the arm up a bit or even extend it up and add a grappling gun. Light source is coming from the bottom. The legs should be casting shadows onto a.upper legs and b. torso. Arm anatomy is wonky but it's cartoony so I'll avoid being nitpicky there. Maybe some shadow on the cape around the body to help his figure pop a bit. One thing on the anatomy that definitely does stick out is the lower leg on his left. It seems noticeably shorter in proportion to his right.

I like the piece though. Good energy. The colors aren't as smooth as I remember your work being though and it's missing some of your usual charm. Everything ok?
    I am always doing that which I cannot do, in order that I may learn how to do it. ~Pablo Picasso

my deviantart
    my sketchbook

Thanks for the great feedback, Mlaw. The size difference between the arms, and the inconsistent leg sizes is a mistake on my part. I get sloppy with proportions so often, it's great to be called out on it.

I did make a choice to cheat the lighting on where his legs are casting shadows onto his body, and where the cape is in shadow. Agree that the body could pop more from the cape.

Overall this is a little looser than my usual stuff. I was stretched pretty far over the last few months with some work, and I'm coming back to baseline from being a bit burned out. I didn't realize it came through in the piece, and I'm impressed that you noticed!

Fantastic piece! It's like a mix of genndy tartakovsky and bruce timm! I think the only problem with the arms is that his right (our left) has the elbow above the peak of the bicep and i think the forearm could maybe over lap the rest of the arm to show some depth, but i think the pose overall is really nice! I would have loved this image on a backpack or lunchbox as a kid!

Quote Originally Posted by sdowner View Post
    Thanks for the great feedback, Mlaw. The size difference between the arms, and the inconsistent leg sizes is a mistake on my part. I get sloppy with proportions so often, it's great to be called out on it.

I did make a choice to cheat the lighting on where his legs are casting shadows onto his body, and where the cape is in shadow. Agree that the body could pop more from the cape.

Overall this is a little looser than my usual stuff. I was stretched pretty far over the last few months with some work, and I'm coming back to baseline from being a bit burned out. I didn't realize it came through in the piece, and I'm impressed that you noticed!
    Your work is always a treat Steve, and a challenge to crit! I know the feeling on the burnout. The last big job I did ended up being pretty draining at the end. Don't forget to have a bit of fun

my deviantart
    my sketchbook