Thread: Disney is in talks to buy 21st Century Fox

Ma-Ma's not the law... I'm the LAW! [SUPPORTER] 50%grey's Avatar

Disney is in talks to buy 21st Century Fox

https://io9.gizmodo.com/if-disney-bu...-th-1820186640

Please make this happen!

I really need a good X-men movie series before I kick the bucket.

#edit - Ugh, should be buy not by... And I can't edit the title.
    “Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art.” ― Andy Warhol

When I got a news alert about this possible buyout, my first thought, aside from how long will MARVEL STUDIOS wait to reboot and give us the TRUE X-Men and the TRUE Dark Phoenix Saga, was "Oh Shit!!! The FANTASTIC FOUR can FINALLY come home to the MCU where they belong!" If this DOES happen, I do hope that Disney and MARVEL realize that the FF ARE Marvel's first family and should really be considered a crown jewel. I'd love to see them hire another truly visionary director not afraid to set the FF's beginnings in the 60s, replete with all the King Kirby flourishes, and let them have a couple of films set IN that time period before bringing the FF and Doom into the present, possibly via Doom's own time platform. And, of course, once the FF are here, bring in The Mole Man, The Mad Thinker, Annihilus, The Negative Zone and, of course, the REAL Galactus!

Return If Possible [SUPPORTER]
    [Moderator]
    Quote Originally Posted by 50%grey View Post
    #edit - Ugh, should be buy not by... And I can't edit the title.
    Fixed.

I won't get excited for this until it is actually official. But, good God, what dreams may come....
    Money can't buy you happiness, but it will pay for the search.

Doubt it will happen. It would be nice to have those characters back at Marvel. It would probably also fix some of the rights issues involving Star Wars. But I can't even imagine the larger implications that such a deal would have, but I suspect theycan't be very good.

Testing... for Science. [SUPPORTER]
    [Moderator]
    Well, they're not talking about selling off Fox News or Fox Sports. I think it's just 20th Century Fox, the film company and all its ancillary rights and properties. Which is still a huge deal, and consolidates a significant amount of intellectual property under a single umbrella... for better or worse.
    ONLINE PORTFOLIO
    DevArt

"If something's getting made, then someone's getting paid."

PUMMEL Mod [SUPPORTER]
    [Moderator]
    It's huge, and awesomely full of potential... but the chances are slim. Be a nice addition to the wave after Infinity war though.
    My Deviant Art page
    My PUMMEL stats
    PUMMEL stats: 61 wins | 58 losses | 31 KOs
    2 Time Heavyweight Champion
    Light Heavyweight Commissioner

Not Spoiling for a Fight Pencilero's Avatar
    No thanks.

Stay vigilant.
    New and improved for 1996!
    Instagram: Pencilero

Thank you, Pencilero!

Not trying to be political, but that image is worth a thousand of my words.
    CyberLord
    Smashing 37 arch-villains into raisins with his bare-hands since 1971!

Angry Black Guy [SUPPORTER] dmario's Avatar
    welp...was fun while it lasted.
    dmario.org - business up front!

dEVIANTart - party in the back!

I think this discussion is probably one of the most irrelevant places to bring up media consolidation. Unless you're worried that corporate interests are somehow going to use classic Marvel superhero characters as a propaganda machine to......exploit the....working class (?), the only thing that really concerns me is the quality of the films that would come out of it.

The Fox FF movies have been garbage and I wasn't really thrilled with their Xmen movies. Marvel seems to be doing pretty well with their offerings so, if this deal actually happens maybe we will get decent renditions of some of the classic characters.