Thread: Good Book for basic forms for comics

Good Book for basic forms for comics

Hello,

I've been struggling with foreshortening of a body/shoulders etc. such as crouching forward or flying forward poses. I decided it's because I don't understand the basic forms correctly, and need to go back to the basic basic.

Mind you I can get basic forms just fine for static poses and with references. It's when things/muscles twist, crunch, stretch..and try to create from my head, I struggle.

I've been in animation industry for quite a while and understand cartoony simple constructions well enough.. so no cartoony books please.

Any other good books other than "How to draw comics the marvel way" ?

Straight Outta a Comic Book [SUPPORTER] Symson's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Check out books by Andrew Loomis and Burne Hogarth
    Inviting 100 artists to celebrate Kirby and Eisner Centennial Tribute Books

Joining you in the ABCs of faith - Action, Belief and Confidence

Thanks. I have the both.... This made me think though.. I have all the material I need already.. I guess I just need to apply myself real hard..
    Last edited by humble-tomato; 11-06-2017 at 06:02 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by humble-tomato View Post
    so no cartoony books please.
    What the fargin' smurf is this mealy-mouthed nonsense!?!

WARNING! Grumpy Old Man Goes BALLISTIC! Run Away!

Never underestimate the educational power of bigfoot and toon (yes, that's my legal team and I'm gonna sue!)

Jack Kirby started in animation

Frank Frazetta was one of the greatest bigfoot artists ever.

Alex Toth's work took a seismic shift when he went into animation.

Mort Drucker does great "straight" stuff

Neal Adams started with Jughead.

I spent the first 24 years of my life trying to be a bigfoot animator... until I made it and found I was a storyboard/layout guy at heart.

"Mind you I can get basic forms just fine for static poses and with references. It's when things/muscles twist, crunch, stretch..and try to create from my head, I struggle." If static is easy but life escapes you, you haven't studied your toons enough. You're attempting calculus without learning the difference between letters and numbers.

Go back to the beginning. I recommend Preston Blair's ANIMATION. The basic structure of Spider-Ham and Spider-Man are identical. Learn to use simple forms to create lively drawings from your head, with ease, and at will. Once you've learned that, you can drape it with all the complicated noodling you want.

Art is magic. Literally, magic. It's a couple of tricks followed by decades of finger bleeding practice. But, first, you gotta' learn the tricks.

no cartoony stuff... I gotta find some crack...

If you understand construction.. then understand perspective.. then do anatomy studies.. and study storytelling. Study light/shadow. Study color theory. Forget everything you learned and make comics.
    I am always doing that which I cannot do, in order that I may learn how to do it. ~Pablo Picasso

my deviantart
    my sketchbook

Straight Outta a Comic Book [SUPPORTER] Symson's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Thanks. I have the both.... This made me think though.. I have all the material I need already.. I guess I just need to apply myself real hard..
    Practice, practice, practice.

There is no magic pill, no shortcuts, no tips or tricks. Apply yourself.
    Inviting 100 artists to celebrate Kirby and Eisner Centennial Tribute Books

Joining you in the ABCs of faith - Action, Belief and Confidence

Heh, I guess I deserve to trigger the grumpy old man.

Yeah.. already mentioned Preston's,.. and the great The illusion of life, Animator's survival kit, Andrew Loomis and Burne Hogarth books.. please name any other good books on basic forms.., cartoony or not..

I will read them all and ...
    Last edited by humble-tomato; 11-08-2017 at 10:36 AM.

Not Spoiling for a Fight Pencilero's Avatar
    Hello,

I've been struggling with foreshortening of a body/shoulders etc. such as crouching forward or flying forward poses. I decided it's because I don't understand the basic forms correctly, and need to go back to the basic basic.

Mind you I can get basic forms just fine for static poses and with references. It's when things/muscles twist, crunch, stretch..and try to create from my head, I struggle.

I've been in animation industry for quite a while and understand cartoony simple constructions well enough.. so no cartoony books please.

Any other good books other than "How to draw comics the marvel way" ?
    Look at reference.

Draw from reference.

There is value in crafting from imagination, and there is value in looking at an actual human body in motion and applying what you see.

I have a collection on my Instagram account for anatomy reference. Any time I see a male or female athlete in a cool pose, or showing off anatomy from an angle I'm uncomfortable with, I add it to the collection. Instagram is absolutely wonderful for visual information, ignoring all the kitten, puppies, food, and other detritus out there.

Not to knock puppies and kittens. I follow plenty of cute animal accounts, because a cute dog is a much needed endorphin boost when I'm feeling blue.
    New and improved for 1996!
    Instagram: Pencilero

Ma-Ma's not the law... I'm the LAW! [SUPPORTER] 50%grey's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Smitty View Post
    What the fargin' smurf is this mealy-mouthed nonsense!?!

WARNING! Grumpy Old Man Goes BALLISTIC! Run Away!

Never underestimate the educational power of bigfoot and toon (yes, that's my legal team and I'm gonna sue!)

Jack Kirby started in animation

Frank Frazetta was one of the greatest bigfoot artists ever.

Alex Toth's work took a seismic shift when he went into animation.

Mort Drucker does great "straight" stuff

Neal Adams started with Jughead.

I spent the first 24 years of my life trying to be a bigfoot animator... until I made it and found I was a storyboard/layout guy at heart.

"Mind you I can get basic forms just fine for static poses and with references. It's when things/muscles twist, crunch, stretch..and try to create from my head, I struggle." If static is easy but life escapes you, you haven't studied your toons enough. You're attempting calculus without learning the difference between letters and numbers.

Go back to the beginning. I recommend Preston Blair's ANIMATION. The basic structure of Spider-Ham and Spider-Man are identical. Learn to use simple forms to create lively drawings from your head, with ease, and at will. Once you've learned that, you can drape it with all the complicated noodling you want.

Art is magic. Literally, magic. It's a couple of tricks followed by decades of finger bleeding practice. But, first, you gotta' learn the tricks.

no cartoony stuff... I gotta find some crack...

Interesting, didn't realize that many comic artists went through animation. I thought I was going to work in comics first ,but I ended up learning along side Don Bluth.

Animation is a beast, I draw more, and have learned more in a short time then a lot of other things I've been through.

I recommend it to any artist just to get another perspective on drawing. That production field is much different, and it will strengthen your eye for shapes and negative space.

Also that Preston Blair book is Don's favorite art book of all time. He says he still uses it today.
    Last edited by 50%grey; 11-11-2017 at 05:53 PM.
    “Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art.” ― Andy Warhol