Thread: The Widow - A Very Doggebi Halloween - Art by Loston Wallace

The Widow - A Very Doggebi Halloween - Art by Loston Wallace

Every year I try to get another artist to enter my story-verse at the reigns of my Halloween special. This year PJ legend Loston Wallace did the artwork. Please check it out.

d.Forrest

Monkey with Crayons [Moderator] Veritas71's Avatar
    WOW! Great stuff!
    OPEN FOR COMMISSIONS!
    My Blog
    My DeviantART Page
    PUMMEL Statistics: 8 Wins - 3 Losses (6-KO's) 2 Month Champ

Redmond, Oregon/ also known as Central Oregon
    Love Halloween
    Keep that Pencil Busy!

Man, I'm glad I read this post. The comic's great. But as a Korean, I have to ask..
    What made you go this route and do a story in old Korea setting?
    I've seen a guy who's doing a story about a very popular admiral who single handedly defeated Japanese invasion.
    That I could tell why he wanted to do it because he had a chance to see a K-drama about him and got impressed.
    But I don't see any historic figure in your comic. So what made you go through the hard route of having to study a foreign history?

Well I've been writing/illustrating a story set in Joseon for about five years. These Halloween specials are set in the same continuity of that story-line. The only difference is I don't draw the specials, because I want to see someone else play with my characters for a change.

The reason for Joseon? Well that's a very long story (I think I blogged about it somewhere, but I cannot find the blog post at the moment). So the super abridged cliff-notes version is: I had a story that needed a setting, and had been in that status for years. I tried Tokugawa Japan (ronin), I tried the American Old West (cowboys), but nothing quite fit. Then on a trip to Seoul I visited Min Seok Chon and fell in love with the rustic look of Joseon era homes. I also met my wife on that trip, and she's done a lot to inspire my adoration of Korea.
    d.Forrest

Thanks for the answer. I did read your original comic (Well, not all of it yet), not only the Halloween version.
    And it was very interesting to see most characters' faces look very Korean (I believe it's tricky for westerners distinguish from Chinese or Japanese) and small details were truthful.. of course except for some fusion designs for the fun.
    Anyways very inspiring and I hope to create some comics in Joseon setting in the future myself. Cheers.

Quote Originally Posted by humble-tomato View Post
    Thanks for the answer. I did read your original comic (Well, not all of it yet), not only the Halloween version.
    And it was very interesting to see most characters' faces look very Korean (I believe it's tricky for westerners distinguish from Chinese or Japanese) and small details were truthful.. of course except for some fusion designs for the fun.
    Anyways very inspiring and I hope to create some comics in Joseon setting in the future myself. Cheers.
    With most of my character designs I pick a Korean celebrity to be my jumping off point. Since I'm terrible at portrait work, it never looks like the actual celebrity. But it looks wrong the same way each time
    d.Forrest

very cool piece of work... well done. i especially like the main characters.
    Pummel MW | 4 Wins | 3 Losses (1 by no show)| 0 KO's | 0 Street fights | 0 Brawls |

Awesome. Choo is definitely my favorite of the five sisters.
    d.Forrest