Thread: Citizen Of Yuma (Concept Art For Graphic Novel)

Inking Citizen Of Yuma (Concept Art For Graphic Novel)

Concept Art One Is "City of Magic" These are loosely drawn pieces showcasing a world and group of characters that I've been developing over the course of several months. I used india ink and a small brush to make all the loose lines and detail is mostly an amalgamation of simple lines grouped tightly to create the illusion of detail.

Concept Art Two Is "Blood Division" These are much tighter pieces but still concept. I like using the hair as abstractions because of its flowing quality. I try to make the faces really lively and rounded. India ink and small brush were used again.

Concept Art Three is "Sword of a Sage" By now you've noticed that I've used many native american motifs to decorate the characters with. But it is an open world and several asian and european influences do come into play along the way. I added both subject and background in this one since I got tired of my concepts living in a void. Its a desert theme so far with rivers and reeds here and there. Still working on color and composition of the flora and fauna.

Monkey with Crayons [Moderator] Veritas71's Avatar
    Welcome to PencilJack!

Couple crits
    Concept 1 : I would recommend brushing up on perspective. All the buildings roofs are going to different horizon lines.

Concept 3 : her hat looks like it's floating above her head.
    OPEN FOR COMMISSIONS!
    My Blog
    My DeviantART Page
    PUMMEL Statistics: 8 Wins - 3 Losses (6-KO's) 2 Month Champ

Yes. I'm all over the place when it comes to roof lines. Thank you!

Oh cool! I can add that in as a motion. But I get yah. Her hat should probably be making contact with her head when its a concept :0 Thank you!

Welcome!

Quote Originally Posted by citizenofyuma View Post
    Her hat should probably be making contact with her head when its a concept :0 Thank you!
    I know these are just concept sketches, but a person's head fits inside a hat. A hat doesn't just make contact with a head.

What are you using these concept sketches for? Environment and character design? Story/scene ideas? Mood/style ideas?
    Phillip Ginn

Redmond, Oregon/ also known as Central Oregon
    I like the idea that your going with free hand brush...But in order to pull that off you gotta have Control 100%...that's a lot of practice practice.. I think Big John has some tips in the old.." how to draw the marvel way " or seek out " The Art Of Comic Book Inking " by Gary Martin
    Keep that Pencil Busy!

I know these are just concept sketches, but a person's head fits inside a hat. A hat doesn't just make contact with a head.

What are you using these concept sketches for? Environment and character design? Story/scene ideas? Mood/style ideas?

Sorry. I'm not always the best at articulating myself. Its part of the things that I will always have to improve upon when I first join an organization or group is learning the specific lingo of the users. I'll catch on.

Environment, Design, Story, Scene, Mood, and Style ideas. I chose a desert environment, the designs of the building and a lot of the native inspired clothing and statues are in the Style of Art Nouveau. The story is of a mentally ill heroine with magical powers struggling to control them in her unbalanced state. The Scenes are in development with the concept art. The mood is the surreal one a person gets when stepping into an impressionist museum. So I'm just hewing all these things together and honing them into a world and story that's aesthetically pleasing and has a harrowing story.

Quote Originally Posted by Bryan E.Warner View Post
    I like the idea that your going with free hand brush...But in order to pull that off you gotta have Control 100%...that's a lot of practice practice.. I think Big John has some tips in the old.." how to draw the marvel way " or seek out " The Art Of Comic Book Inking " by Gary Martin
    Thank you! Im going for an impressionist style with the lose brush work but still any book recommendation on the topic of illustration and affirmation of medium is welcome! Where can I find Big John? Is he a blogger?

Redmond, Oregon/ also known as Central Oregon
    Quote Originally Posted by citizenofyuma View Post
    Thank you! Im going for an impressionist style with the lose brush work but still any book recommendation on the topic of illustration and affirmation of medium is welcome! Where can I find Big John? Is he a blogger?
    If he was alive He Just might...Big John is The Late Great John Buscema....one of Marvels Best...In the book and also Video John shows tips on handling your brush.....I'd almost bet you could find something on U-Tube.... Gary Martin's Book shows you how a variety of Artist use their Inking Skills..
    Keep that Pencil Busy!