Results 1 to 10 of 10

Thread: Guardians of the Galaxy (Agent Venom)

  1. #1
    George Bush'n the buttons A.D.R.I.A.N.'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2001
    Location
    Houston, Texas
    Posts
    949

    Guardians of the Galaxy (Agent Venom)

    Hi guys! It's been awhile since I last posted but I'd thought I'd make an attempt to get back into the community.

    "Enjoy life. There's plenty of time to be dead." -Anon.

    http://badcog.deviantart.com/
    My site http://adriannelson.com/

  2. #2
    Monkey with Crayons [Moderator] Veritas71's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    UR Castle
    Posts
    4,492
    Welcome back!

    REALLY like this one. Has a very Chris Bachalo feel.

    Nit picky thing: the straps holding the pouch to Venom's right leg. Since the leg is going backwards, they should curve down with the contour.
    OPEN FOR COMMISSIONS!
    My Blog
    My DeviantART Page
    PUMMEL Statistics: 8 Wins - 3 Losses (6-KO's) 2 Month Champ

  3. #3
    I like this.

    Rocket's rendering kind of creates a little less clarity juxtaposed with Venom's right leg, especially since all the other background characters provide such high contrast (even Groot's rendering is fairly minimal).

    Question: Why did you decide to place a white halo around the background characters? Was it a style choice? Just curious, really, because it isn't necessary - I just filled it in to see what it would look like and my hunch was correct (from my own personal view, of course): eliminating it makes them pop a little more and separates them from Venom, who also has a halo but is in the foreground.
    Phillip Ginn
    _______________________________
    www.phillipginn.com

  4. #4
    Straight Outta a Comic Book [SUPPORTER] Symson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    LA LA Land
    Posts
    2,733
    Blog Entries
    6
    Welcome back! Very good art.

    I invite you to join our Penciljack community projects paying tribute to Jack Kirby and Will Eisner. Find more info by clicking on their names.
    Inviting 100 artists to celebrate Kirby and Eisner Centennial Tribute Books

    Joining you in the ABCs of faith - Action, Belief and Confidence

  5. #5
    Member jeffchris50's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    Jeffersonville, Indiana
    Posts
    793
    I like this one, too, but I feel like it's a little too much Venom overkill; he's so predominant in the piece that everyone else but Drax sort of gets lost. Maybe if you had brought the bottom of his right leg up a little tighter against his thigh and moved him over to the right just a bit, then you'd see more of Drax's head and more of Rocket, as well. Overall, though, really nice piece!

  6. #6
    George Bush'n the buttons A.D.R.I.A.N.'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2001
    Location
    Houston, Texas
    Posts
    949
    Quote Originally Posted by pmginn View Post
    I like this.

    Rocket's rendering kind of creates a little less clarity juxtaposed with Venom's right leg, especially since all the other background characters provide such high contrast (even Groot's rendering is fairly minimal).

    Question: Why did you decide to place a white halo around the background characters? Was it a style choice? Just curious, really, because it isn't necessary - I just filled it in to see what it would look like and my hunch was correct (from my own personal view, of course): eliminating it makes them pop a little more and separates them from Venom, who also has a halo but is in the foreground.
    good eye! this was originally a convention commission for Agent Venom and I came back in and add the rest later to just fill it in. I'm not going to go back at this time and make corrections (I still might, now that the critiques made some good points) due to time. I'll try the fill -in you suggested though. To make it clear i wanted to color this also and with that I was thinking of separating the background figures back, but I've recent found that it's better to solve that problem in the original the lineart (looks better). Your critique confirms that. Thank you.
    Last edited by A.D.R.I.A.N.; 09-12-2017 at 11:46 AM.
    "Enjoy life. There's plenty of time to be dead." -Anon.

    http://badcog.deviantart.com/
    My site http://adriannelson.com/

  7. #7
    George Bush'n the buttons A.D.R.I.A.N.'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2001
    Location
    Houston, Texas
    Posts
    949
    Quote Originally Posted by Veritas71 View Post
    Welcome back!

    REALLY like this one. Has a very Chris Bachalo feel.

    Nit picky thing: the straps holding the pouch to Venom's right leg. Since the leg is going backwards, they should curve down with the contour.
    Good eye! That's a quick easy fix, digitally. Thanks for taking the time to respond.
    "Enjoy life. There's plenty of time to be dead." -Anon.

    http://badcog.deviantart.com/
    My site http://adriannelson.com/

  8. #8
    Hangman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    CT....or purgatory...u pick
    Posts
    1,868
    Welcome back! That's a very nice piece. Drax's placement bothers me as Venom leg creates a weird framing/tangent for Drax's head. Hope you post more!!!!

    Sent from my SM-N910C using Tapatalk
    Raised as a babe in drawing arenas to become the art warrior that I am today.

    http://gunkstudios.tumblr.com/


    Pummel: lightheavy weight rank- wins-27 losses-20 KO-11

  9. #9
    George Bush'n the buttons A.D.R.I.A.N.'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2001
    Location
    Houston, Texas
    Posts
    949
    Quote Originally Posted by Hangman View Post
    Welcome back! That's a very nice piece. Drax's placement bothers me as Venom leg creates a weird framing/tangent for Drax's head. Hope you post more!!!!

    Sent from my SM-N910C using Tapatalk
    Thanks! Yeah, I'm trying o be better at my overall designs so in some instances I'll try to stuff stuff in to attempt to cover weakness in the drawing.
    I'll keep posting, though. Tough as you guys can be
    "Enjoy life. There's plenty of time to be dead." -Anon.

    http://badcog.deviantart.com/
    My site http://adriannelson.com/

  10. #10
    Excellent balance of b & w
    Great anatomy

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •