Thread: Love Drop

Sequentials Love Drop (One Page Comic)

Drawn today my final project. I added colour once I got home from class.
    My teacher didn't have a Superhero background, so asked I go cartoony, which I am not used to.

Edit: Pencils

And a Bonus 3 Panels

Redmond, Oregon/ also known as Central Oregon
    Well played...color did make the moment ( so to Speak )..
    Keep that Pencil Busy!

Neophyte
    Funny stuff, that turn was like half her size.

Glad you guys enjoyed it. Cartoons aren't what I am used to. However, I got the impression my class found it funny.

Oddly enough I have seen this play out at work.

Modesto, CA 1979 EddieChingLives's Avatar
    Colors really bring your work to life. The guy in the first panels upper arm looks disconnected from jos shoulder and connects to his elbow in an awkward way. Perhaps the bathroom door should have had a male/women sign to show that he will be going in the same restroom, but perhaps wc might mean the same thing in the U.K.

Your borders are impressive. Drawing quick horizontal lines on your lettering might help as a guide to keep the lettering straight. Sometimes I notice an improvement by lettering in pencil first. Then finishing in ink.

Storytelling moves very well. The only thing that interrupted the flow was his arm and the bathroom sign already mentioned above.

Nice flow, pardon the pun. And thanks for all of your encouraging comments throughout the years!

Quote Originally Posted by EddieChingLives View Post
    Colors really bring your work to life. The guy in the first panels upper arm looks disconnected from jos shoulder and connects to his elbow in an awkward way. Perhaps the bathroom door should have had a male/women sign to show that he will be going in the same restroom, but perhaps wc might mean the same thing in the U.K.

Your borders are impressive. Drawing quick horizontal lines on your lettering might help as a guide to keep the lettering straight. Sometimes I notice an improvement by lettering in pencil first. Then finishing in ink.

Storytelling moves very well. The only thing that interrupted the flow was his arm and the bathroom sign already mentioned above.

Nice flow, pardon the pun. And thanks for all of your encouraging comments throughout the years!
    Thanks for the lettering tip. This hadn't occurred to me on the spot.
    I am wondering if my comic is not good enough in B/W given the comments that color has bought it alive.

I agree, I didn't draw the shoulder great (check pencils) - added above. It isn't attached. it didn't occur to me in my rush that it would be so noticeable. Poor construction really does show through.

Bathroom door - I thought W/C was a american term!

Your borders are impressive. - This one needs explaining. please elaborate for me. i know its a compliment and yet I am not sure what you mean.

And thanks for all of your encouraging comments throughout the years! - Thanks Bro. Though, I think its me who should be thanking you.

Its people like you that kept me in the game. After I lost my drawing confidence and decided to focus on my regular career, it was seeing you do a little something each week on dA that kept me thinking, "always believe".

I've been slacking. It's Jeremy Dale's DA that inspired me. He was drawing one of his favorite characters every week.

Your borders are crisp. I am jealous. You make drawing borders look so easy. Mine are usually sloppy with edges that don't line up.

My stuff looks better colored, that's why I colored my sketches every week. It gives it that finishes look! I noticed the black and white Silvestri Wolverine Essential book, they even added gray to the artwork to help pop out the foreground from the background. So your goal is to add depth, whatever way you can. You don't have to be Bernie Wrightson or Kelly Jones. You can make it pop out in a quick coloring pass.

The only time I saw W/C was in my 8th grade drafting class. Most restrooms in the states just have a male or female stick figure symbol.

Great to see your humor come out through your work. You are creating stories from nothing.

Your borders are crisp. I am jealous. You make drawing borders look so easy. Mine are usually sloppy with edges that don't line up.
    I used a 60cm / 24inch T-Square. I placed a Triangle on top for vertical lines. I lined the paper up against the side of a square table, next to the T-Square. I also decided to make 9 Panel grid to make life easy for me (1st panel takes up space of 2 Panels, though gives the setting and 2 characters). I inked the panels last too. I think lots of people do the Panels first. I inked it with a Pitt Brush Pen.

The other thing that made the panels clean is I actually did thumbnails and developed the story visually for once (no script). I worked on the thumbs Wed 10am - 1pm and then 2pm-4pm. Did the Pencils Thursday, same hours, and Inks on Friday, same hours. Plus 3hrs of colour in the evening.

However, it does mean I am lucky enough to have the thumbs for once so can see how I changed and developed the story overtime, and realised how the panels should transition as not to be too jarring mentally / where I even needed to combine some panels. Including realising I should exaggerate the poo size, after a mental break of drawing superman and some lunch.

Thumbs done on 8x11 Copy Paper

Thumbs Page 01
    Thumbs Page 02
    Thumbs Page 03
    Thumbs Page 04 - Changed Ending to wrap up in one page
    Thumbs Page 05
    Thumbs Page 06
    Thumbs Page 07
    Thumbs Page 08 - Realised Body Language was vague, better to show her embarrassed face
    Thumbs Page 09
    Thumbs Page 10
    Thumbs Page 11
    Thumbs Page 12 - Thursday -Layout beyond I realised I knew the story well by now and was confident to go straight to boards

Those thumbnails are really fun to see. Sometimes that's the only way to get to that final level. The books show how you just make one thumbnail and magically it becomes a completed comic. They don't tell you how sometimes it takes 12 tries to get to that final thumbnail.

The biggest thing I notice in beginners art is how it seems like people draw the panels first and force the drawings inside the frames.

Thumbnails allow the action to come alive on the pages, then you can decide where the panels should go on the page, with emphasis on finding the one or two big anchor panels to add emphasis, or have some panels bigger than others, depending on the emphasis you want on the page.

The most sequentials I've ever done in a row were the six pages I did for UggaBugga.net. I almost quit because I could never get the thumbnails to the board without it being inconsistent.

What I ended up doing was just drawing one panel on a page. If it looked like crap, I scrapped it and drew another one. If it looked good, I scanned it in and pasted into the final panelled page. I'm sure it's not the ideal way, but the only way I could get to that finished level.

My point is, to new or aspiring artists is if you feel like you can't get to that final level, you have to draw yourself out of it. Get a fresh new piece of paper and draw.

Draw a few versions until you find one that works. Sometimes it takes 9 bad drawings to get 1 that I like. That's an important ratio to remember in case your perfectionist voice steps in and says you can't do it because it looks like crap on the first try.

Draw the panel ten times, and if you can get a good one in the first few goes, you saved yourself some time.