Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Portrait that I'm working on for an art show.

Nice! Second batch have a sort of Burne Hogarth feel to them that really captures the light vs. shadow factors and adds actual mass to the renderings. That second one is particularly nice...

Give those eyes some love, she deserves it. Made this on top of yours, far from good, but hope it helps in future portraits. Nice drawings.
    Middlweight | W:6 L:0 KOs:4 | Streetfights: W:2 L:0 kOs:1
    LightHeavies | W:7| L :3 KOs: ​6
    http://nabisga.deviantart.com/gallery/

I would start again and realign the eye. She's attractive with symmetrical features. Josem pushed the contrast up to make it look more finished. You can still do that on a traditional level that Josem achieved digitally.

Map the areas where the eyes sit as well as the nose and lips. Crucial elements for likeness.

Quote Originally Posted by Dri View Post
    I would start again and realign the eye. She's attractive with symmetrical features. Josem pushed the contrast up to make it look more finished. You can still do that on a traditional level that Josem achieved digitally.

Map the areas where the eyes sit as well as the nose and lips. Crucial elements for likeness.

I doubt I'll have time to redo it before the deadline for submission. Plus I already submitted it, don't know if I'd be able to re-submit it again. I certainly wish that I did have more time, as Josem's draw over makes mine look pretty bad. To be fair, working with charcoal is a little tougher than working digitally (or even with graphite pencil, which is my usual preferred medium). I can try to do it over, just think it may be too late. Fortunately, the people on the jury at the art gallery haven't seen the reference photo, so they have no idea how close I got the likeness or not, lol. But, I'll see what I can do.
    Last edited by Highlander_77; 09-07-2017 at 08:57 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Highlander_77 View Post
    I doubt I'll have time to redo it before the deadline for submission. Plus I already submitted it, don't know if I'd be able to re-submit it again. I certainly wish that I did have more time, as Josem's draw over makes mine look pretty bad. To be fair, working with charcoal is a little tougher than working digitally (or even with graphite pencil, which is my usual preferred medium). I can try to do it over, just think it may be too late. Fortunately, the people on the jury at the art gallery haven't seen the reference photo, so they have no idea how close I got the likeness or not, lol. But, I'll see what I can do.
    Treat it as a study and something to learn on. When drawing a face tilt the page so you line up the eyes. We've all made mistakes like that because we have a tendency to put eyes in a straight line even if the head is tilted. That is from not readjusting the canvas.

I think the opposite about digital being easier. It's cleaner than traditional but the feel of pencil / pen / brush / charcoal / pastel on paper is so much better. You're not thinking about the paper medium creatively. You can still glue paper on top of paper if you can't erase the eye.

Treat portraits like a jigsaw puzzle. You're putting things together and readjusting until it fits. Don't let a draw over deter you from finishing and resolving a study. It's hugely satisfying when you get it right.

Treat it as a study and something to learn on. When drawing a face tilt the page so you line up the eyes. We've all made mistakes like that because we have a tendency to put eyes in a straight line even if the head is tilted. That is from not readjusting the canvas.

I think the opposite about digital being easier. It's cleaner than traditional but the feel of pencil / pen / brush / charcoal / pastel on paper is so much better. You're not thinking about the paper medium creatively. You can still glue paper on top of paper if you can't erase the eye.

Treat portraits like a jigsaw puzzle. You're putting things together and readjusting until it fits. Don't let a draw over deter you from finishing and resolving a study. It's hugely satisfying when you get it right.

When I talk about digital being easier, I'm thinking in terms of the ability to redo mistakes, work in seperate layers, move things around, that sort of thing.

As for gluing paper on top, this was done on bristol board, which is kind of thick. No way it wouldn't be obvious if I did that.

Honestly, if I really focused I'm sure I could do another piece before the deadline (as long as I can find the energy by the time I get home from work). Just don't know if I'll be able to substitute a new piece for the one I submitted. I'll be seeing one of the members of the board for the gallery Saturday morning at the life drawing group, so I can ask him about it.

I probably will make another attempt for myself regardless though.

Well, I decided to go ahead and start another attempt (whether I can get it done in time is another matter). Just the rough pencil layout at this point, but I'm already feeling that I'm getting the likeness a lot better here.

Hey HL, Glad you are attempting it again.

When using the reference in this picture try to turn the board and the reference at an angle to help with proportions.

Framework looks much better.

Hey HL, Glad you are attempting it again.

When using the reference in this picture try to turn the board and the reference at an angle to help with proportions.

Framework looks much better.

Psssh, why would I want to go ahead and make it easy for myself like that?

Seriously though, seeing it illustrated like that is extremely helpful. Thanks.

Well, I'm glad I let you guys talk me into starting over again. So much happier with how this is turning out so far. I'm definitely going to have to talk to my friend on the board of directors at the art gallery and see if I can withdraw the first piece and submit this instead (assuming I can get it finished tomorrow. Gotta stop for tonight because I do need some sleep).