Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Portrait that I'm working on for an art show.

So far, so good on the do over, Highlander. Turning your reference photo and your rendering at the same angle is the best way to ensure things all line up properly. Heck, back in the days when I was doing a fair amount of portraiture, I always kept a protractor (yep, they're still relevant) and a ruler handy just to gauge angles and make sure everything was on the same line plane.

I'm noticing on the do over that her eyes are still a little wonky and I think I know why. The more I look at the photograph, the more I look at this girl's gaze; she's not looking at the camera, or directly at the viewer, you, in this case, she's looking more wistfully sort of up and into the distance and her irises/pupils themselves are a bit more ethereal, almost translucent, an effect heightened by the size of the reflection over the surface of her cornea. I would try tilting her pupils up more towards the tops of her eyes in order to capture that as well as lighten the overall iris and perhaps add in the huge reflection with white chalk or prismacolor. And watch the lips; I can appreciate your desire to add details, but too many details can make her lips, which are young and quite pretty, seem too old and almost wrinkly.

Another technique I used to use for rendering in grayscale, especially if my reference was in color, was to convert the reference image TO grayscale in order to get a better idea of how the colors, values, hues and shadows are going to change going from color to grayscale. Back then, pre-Photoshop days, I would have to depend on a crappy photocopy, or, if I got lucky, I could get a photostat of the reference piece in grayscale, to sort of act as my roadmap.

Just some (hopefully) helpful suggestions...

Welp, here's where I'm at, and probably very close to calling it done. Thanks for all of the helpful suggestions (and to Josem for his drawover that made me feel bad enough about my first attempt to want to try again, lol).

My phone camera blew out the contrast or something a little, I think the shading looks better on the actual piece (especially the hair), but this is a pretty good indication of how it looks.

Eyes still aren't perfect, but for the life of me I'm not sure I'm going to get them much better than what I did here. I'll compare it to the reference from one angle and it looks right, but then from a different angle it's slightly off. Don't feel like I got the overall angle of the head quite perfect. Still, I'm pretty happy with this.

Last edited by Highlander_77; 09-10-2017 at 06:14 PM.

Well it got accepted into the show, so not a bad result. Thanks again for all the helpful advice.

Quote Originally Posted by Highlander_77 View Post
    Well it got accepted into the show, so not a bad result. Thanks again for all the helpful advice.
    Cool! I hope it does well!

Quote Originally Posted by jeffchris50 View Post
    Cool! I hope it does well!

Well it didn't win any of the prizes (I didn't expect it to), but here it is hanging on the wall in the gallery, (along with my friend who was the inspiration for the piece). It's the closest I've come yet to being able to call myself an actual "artist", so I'm still very happy with this outcome.

Always pretty cool to see your own stuff hanging up in a gallery and your friend should be tickled that she's been immortalized by you in charcoal! Sometimes it's not whether we win or lose, but the sheer joy of competing itself.

It's cool to be in an art show. It's such a boost to one's confidence. Great job.