Thread: demon character design

demon character design

This is for a story I'm working on. I'm staying away from the traditional beast type of demon and going for something more twisted and inhuman. I don't need the character yet, but I want to get his design ready for when he comes up in the story.

I'm trying to think of ways to express a look of higher status, and I'm considering some kind of weird jewelry. I'm also thinking of having him hold a halberd or pole-arm of some type (?).

(Uh... sorry people. I accidentally deleted the first version of this character. See the new version below.)
    Last edited by Nexus; 08-24-2017 at 02:20 PM.

Very cool design. I like the inside out approach, you should play more with that. The wings are too 'normal' fot this guy. Also they are drawn like for a dynamic pose where hes hawking down. A full spread of the wings will give instant majesty. Status is not bling, but posture! Have him in a dominant pose, some jewellry wont hurt for added detail and effect. Good way to sneak more symbolism in
    "Censorship is legal vandalization of art" - Urban Dictionary
    |LHW Bottomfeeder|
    PJ Sketchblog
    petethacreepofficial

Thanks for the comment! The wings were the last thing I added on, and I was hoping to make them look sort of broken and mangled, but I can see what you mean. It looks like the are swooping in because I drew them upside down and at different angles. It was intentional, but it give the wrong idea of what is going on. The feathers being kind of short also makes it look like they are at a swooping angle. Hmm. I think you are right that they don't look... weird enough, like the rest of him. Maybe I will try something more like bat wings, or like skin, but warp them out and make them ragged and broken. I think I will still try to put them upside down for now, just for effect, but I might change that.

Round two.
    So, here are bat wings. For the moment I'm going with this somewhat expected look, but I might make them look more damaged and broken after I sit on it for a bit.

Last edited by Nexus; 08-24-2017 at 02:14 PM.

Monkey with Crayons [Moderator] Veritas71's Avatar
    Not seeing a pic. In original or updated thread.
    OPEN FOR COMMISSIONS!
    My Blog
    My DeviantART Page
    PUMMEL Statistics: 8 Wins - 3 Losses (6-KO's) 2 Month Champ

Oops... I've been moving stuff over to a new web host. I think I tossed the original first image already, but I put up a bigger, more detailed second version of the character (above.)

Monkey with Crayons [Moderator] Veritas71's Avatar
    If you want to get away from standard demon archetypes, get rid of the head completely. No mouth there, so no need. Try combining the arms and wings together, like the dragons from GoT's. Maybe try an orifice like a worm instead of a mouth. Search for deep underwater creatures for inspiration for new ideas. Good luck!
    OPEN FOR COMMISSIONS!
    My Blog
    My DeviantART Page
    PUMMEL Statistics: 8 Wins - 3 Losses (6-KO's) 2 Month Champ

Quote Originally Posted by Veritas71 View Post
    If you want to get away from standard demon archetypes, get rid of the head completely. No mouth there, so no need. Try combining the arms and wings together, like the dragons from GoT's. Maybe try an orifice like a worm instead of a mouth. Search for deep underwater creatures for inspiration for new ideas. Good luck!
    I'm not sure if I want to take it quite that far. At least not for this guy... because I think there is a psychological fascination that comes from something that looks like itwas human but has left humanity behind, and is now warped and insane. It's kind of like the appeal of the cenobites. I'm trying to channel into that sort of thing.

But I'm still not set on this, so I might play around with it some more.