Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What it's like to post without getting a reply.

Modesto, CA 1979 EddieChingLives's Avatar

What it's like to post without getting a reply.

Just a confessional post. So if I critique your stuff, just know I have a long way to go myself. But that's the beauty of comics. You don't have to wait until you are perfect to create. You can make them right now!

Critique if you feel like it. Thanks for looking at this.

Rest In Peace Brokenhill [Moderator] fatmancomics's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Instagram, my friend. I get likes almost as soon as I post. The irony is that the stuff I spend hours on gets the least amount of attention while sketches made on corners of notebooks get double digits.

Thanks fatmancomics! I appreciate the feedback and the cool Galactus art!

Return If Possible [SUPPORTER]
    [Moderator]
    "Hearts" are not feedback.
    Money can't buy you happiness, but it will pay for the search.

Rest In Peace Brokenhill [Moderator] fatmancomics's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Sometimes you just want validation. I also have a five-year-old which means I don't have much time to sit down and draw. Making the time means spending time away from her and her mother which, quite frankly, I'm not willing to do right now. Today was the first time in about a month that I put pencil to paper and it was during a break at work.

The sad reality is that I've allowed my art to become just a hobby. Every attempt I've made at actually selling anything has failed. I seem to have only one person who is willing to pay for my art and one steady client just doesn't pay the bills. Posting here and getting feedback is great but I'm trying to just make more finished work and that can't happen if I keep changing a composition based on feedback.

Life gets in the way. And it's sad that my day job as a truck driver pays better than 90% of comic artists with insurance for my family. But the trick is to find that window of time to thrash something out, not for the recognition you want, but as a creative outlet. We NEED to get this art out of us, and comics is the GREATEST outlet. We can bring our ideas to full fledged illustrated mini movies! There's nothing more liberating. And I really feel like I learn something new with each new scene I produce.

And don't feel too down. This is a humbling industry with many LEGENDS that stppped getting work and couldn't earn a living from comics. Even if I never connect the dots and make millions off of comics, nothing takes away from the absolute thrill to bring a thought to life!

Thanks again for the response aka feedback.

And thanks to all the people who do view this and don't comment.

Not getting any feedback sucks for sure ( trust me I know), it's hard to not take is as some sort of a condemnation, but one must remember it may just be that people don't have something interesting to say

I love this page! Nicely drawn, and has a structure that goes well with one-pagers: a surprise twist. I can see this being the future of comics: short one-pagers that make people think about something.

You drew this in a ring-bound, then scanned and colored digitally? You can see the ring-bands in the top-left corner :-) The word balloons lead the eye through the page effectively in a question-mark-shaped line. The sides of the gutter on the right of the three mid-panels seem to not be completely parallel but that's a small detail.

Overall, nice page, hope you make more!

Wow! Thanks Ayalpinkus! What an inspiring post! I thought this page was a bit pretenciois, but seems to be relatable with the last panel!

Great detective skills. I did this page so I can see what it would be like if I drew in red pen and quickly inked over it with a black pen. I like to tone in pencil after the so called inks to bring out the depth in the drawing. And I like the feel of the cheap bic crystal pens, and it's nice to see that after the coloring, bic inks really don't look too bad IMHO.

And it's quite empowering to thrash out a thought into a page, throw some color on it, slap some letters on it and it exists. I think it captures some energy in that quick process, which is probably why I'm such a big fan of Jim Mahfood and the energy he's able to capture.

Thanks for such a positive and encouraging reply! Where do I send your $5?

*Here's a look at what was scanned into my computer before the tinkering begins.

*And here's an updated version if the panels and letters were more straight.

*Also, thank you below, Fossilmorph! Glad that energy was able to come across.

really love the flow of the pencils, the style just evoques movement and really gives the idea of someone just venting out!