Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Critique wanted - detective story

I should have mentioned that I probably didn't need to put the building VPs out as far as I did (I may have got a little over anxious there.) If you want a little more differentiation in the two angles of the building foundations and face angles, you can bring the VPs (or one of the VPs) in a bit.

Sorry, I should have mentioned that before.
    Last edited by Nexus; Yesterday at 05:04 PM.

I should have mentioned that I probably didn't need to put the building VPs out as far as I did (I may have got a little over anxious there.) If you want a little more differentiation in the two angles of the building foundations and face angles, you can bring the VPs (or one of the VPs) in a bit.

Sorry, I should have mentioned that before.

Perspective is two educated decisions with everything else being dominoes falling down. The first two decisions are automatically correct BUT, if I start with decisions different from yours, I will achieve results different from yours.

Along with perspective, construction, anatomy, etc, the artist must also consider the laws of physics and geography. Everyplace is someplace relative to the continental divide. That's why rivers flow.

My two decisions are: My horizon is correct AND gravity sucks. THEREFORE the VP of the river MUST be higher than the horizon of the scene otherwise it's not a river, it's a lake (stoopid physics, yer ugly and yer mother dresses you funny... grumble, grumble)

Must the river's VP be as high as I've placed it here? NO! I've placed it extra high to illustrate my points that gravity sucks and the first two decisions affect everything else. Example: Nexus' decisions correctly make the corpse a giant, my two decisions correctly make the corpse a small child.

Post 8

Along with physics and geography, the artist (and the city) must account for weather. The rains WILL come, the river WILL rise and when it does, your city gets wiped out! You want ... something... between the city and the river: roads, sidewalks, embankments. Do an image search of Amsterdam. Rotate buildings so they follow the curve of the river.

The idea of placing VPs too far apart is pretty remote. I have a 5 foot table and often place the page at the left to work the right VP and to the right to work the left VP which places VPs 10 feet apart (and still too close together) The closer VPs get to the frame, or each other, the more distortion the image will have.

Smitty is right... it's probably best to disregard my last post about maybe bringing in the VPs.

One thing you can do to add realism to the river is to draw in a small retaining wall that sinks down and sits flush with the ground.

Great points Smitty! Bringing me both knowledge and a chuckle.

Now that you mention it I can't understand how I missed it, time to add some way for the city to deal with the water. I'll have another go at the page and post it here afterwards.

Good note on the vanishing points, I've been keeping them pretty close because it's just more convenient given my workspace.

Many thanks Smitty and Nexus!