Thread: Sliders (90s TV show)

Master of Miniaturization Ace Corona's Avatar

Sliders (90s TV show)

I was a fan of this show but lived a turbulent life, so I didn't always have a home and an available television during the five seasons this show was on the air. I don't know where else to ask about this show, so I figured I'd ask here because we're all fans of science fiction.

I've seen reruns of certain episodes, and have been left wondering:

1.) why did Jerry O'Connel's brother end up on the show?

2.) why did the actress who portrayed Wade Wells (Sabrina Lloyd) leave the show?

3.) why did the actor who portrayed professor Arturo leave the show?

4.) at what point did Kari Wuhrer end up on the show?

5.) why did Jerry O'Connel leave the show, and what was the explanation for the guy who replaced him?

6.) if the additional characters are from other Earths, how could they all be trying to get back to Earth prime?

I'm interested in both in-universe discussions and production perspectives based on the real world reasons actors/actresses left or joined the show.
    Last edited by Ace Corona; 07-19-2017 at 04:33 AM.
    The biggest mistake people make in life is not trying to make a living at doing what they most enjoy.

---Malcolm Forbes

My website

Never .jpeg a .jpeg

I meant to put this in the break room, can a moderator move this please? It was late at night when I typed this and didn't realize I was in the tips and tech section.
    Last edited by Ace Corona; 07-19-2017 at 04:31 AM.
    The biggest mistake people make in life is not trying to make a living at doing what they most enjoy.

---Malcolm Forbes

My website

Never .jpeg a .jpeg

Member [SUPPORTER] Crimson Spider's Avatar
    Sliiiiders.

Heavy spoilers.

1) They found out Jerry's father was a Slider and Jerry had a brother that was kidnapped/lost on a different Earth ever since he was a baby. They found him on a "amish" type earth where he was a genius inventor.

2) I am really foggy on the second season details. I remember they found out about a alien race that had dimensional technology and that whole season was about fighting a war against them and more specifically trying to keep them from finding Earth Prime. I think she died.

3) His character definitely died and the reason he left was he didn't want to be stuck on a low rent scifi show or want it to be stuck to his career forever. Luckily he got attached to a high falutin fantasy theatricsl film series that is stuck to his career forever! I would assume the actress had similar aspirations but I haven't seen her in anything.

4)She ended up on the show in the second season and slowly worked her way from a villain role to the lead on the show lol. She seemed to really embrace cheesy sci fi stuff and so she always has some sci fi show on the air. Her role was like a spy for the alien dimension conquerors or whatever.

5) Jerry O'Connel and his brother left over contract negotiations. The show was on the Scifi channel at that point and they didn't have nearly as big a budget as when they were on Network tv. Thre story reason was there was a jump that went horribly wrong and Jerry and his brother were merged together with another version of them. So then the main thrust of the season was trying to undo this merger.

6) By the end of the show they had been back to Earth Prime several times but there was also something else that happened to make them abandon it and follow another quest. Eventually Earth Prime had been taken over by the Aliens and the idea was finding a new Earth for the people, overthrowing the aliens, and other stuff. Like the show ended on a cliff hanger where they actually achieved what thry wanted but everybody but Rembrandt died or were scattered to different dimensions. So it ended with Rembrandt gettting a happy ending on Earth Prime but he went sliding again to save his friends.

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Blaque View Post
    Heavy spoilers.

1) They found out Jerry's father was a Slider and Jerry had a brother that was kidnapped/lost on a different Earth ever since he was a baby. They found him on a "amish" type earth where he was a genius inventor.

2) I am really foggy on the second season details. I remember they found out about a alien race that had dimensional technology and that whole season was about fighting a war against them and more specifically trying to keep them from finding Earth Prime. I think she died.

3) His character definitely died and the reason he left was he didn't want to be stuck on a low rent scifi show or want it to be stuck to his career forever. Luckily he got attached to a high falutin fantasy theatricsl film series that is stuck to his career forever! I would assume the actress had similar aspirations but I haven't seen her in anything.

4)She ended up on the show in the second season and slowly worked her way from a villain role to the lead on the show lol. She seemed to really embrace cheesy sci fi stuff and so she always has some sci fi show on the air. Her role was like a spy for the alien dimension conquerors or whatever.

5) Jerry O'Connel and his brother left over contract negotiations. The show was on the Scifi channel at that point and they didn't have nearly as big a budget as when they were on Network tv. Thre story reason was there was a jump that went horribly wrong and Jerry and his brother were merged together with another version of them. So then the main thrust of the season was trying to undo this merger.

6) By the end of the show they had been back to Earth Prime several times but there was also something else that happened to make them abandon it and follow another quest. Eventually Earth Prime had been taken over by the Aliens and the idea was finding a new Earth for the people, overthrowing the aliens, and other stuff. Like the show ended on a cliff hanger where they actually achieved what thry wanted but everybody but Rembrandt died or were scattered to different dimensions. So it ended with Rembrandt gettting a happy ending on Earth Prime but he went sliding again to save his friends.
    Thank you so much Johnny!

---Malcolm Forbes

My website

Never .jpeg a .jpeg

1) Basically because of nepotism. This is based on a memory of Jerry O'Connell being on Conan way back, so don't hold me to this. But I remember him jokingly saying it was just a matter of helping his bro out because he needed a job.

I kinda feel that wasn't just a joke, seeing as how that guy's acting career didn't really amount to much. I see he ended up in The Bachelor? Weird.

2/3/4) So much behind the scenes drama. It was kind of a shitshow when it came to keeping consistency.

I'll quote the wiki (which I find kind of curious that you didn't just look up, but alright);

John Rhys-Davies was the first star of the series to leave, officially due to creative differences, although different stories circulate about the reasons behind it. While Rhys-Davies had been an outspoken critic of the show's writing since the first season, Fox supported him; only David Peckinpah, who was assigned to the show in its third season, wanted him out. Some sources suggest that he was fired for insulting a Fox executive at a party who was later promoted to a high-level position with control of several shows, including Sliders. Other sources claim that he was fired in order to make way for Kari Wührer, who it was felt would increase the show's ratings with teenage boys and young men.

When Sabrina Lloyd left at the end of season three, a spokesperson for her agency said "no comment at this time" and stated that it was her decision not to return. A source came forward claiming Lloyd was fired because she was jealous of Kari Wührer. Universal and Lloyd's agent both refused to comment and the rumour spread. Much later it was revealed that Lloyd and Wührer did not get along, primarily due to some snide comments she had made about Lloyd's engagement to a crew member. As Peckinpah wanted to return to the 3 male/1 female dynamic of the first two seasons, it was decided Lloyd was no longer required after she asked for a raise.

Her character's fate - to be trapped in a Kromagg breeding camp - was allegedly Peckinpah's idea, and one that was pushed through by him alone. As a result of public pressure to elaborate on what happened to Wade after she disappeared, the producers asked Lloyd to guest star in one season five episode that was to focus entirely on Wade (without the rest of the cast). Lloyd requested $40,000 to appear, the same per-episode salary Derricks was receiving and $20,000 more than Wührer, and the idea was scrapped. However, the episode she was to appear in, Requiem, was "fine tuned" to answer this question without her. Lloyd ultimately provided voiceovers for the episode, and a stand-in was used.
    At the beginning of season 4 Quinn and Maggie finally make it to Earth prime (somehow later than Rembrandt and Wade) but find it conquered by the Kromagg aliens (ugh) they encountered in an earlier season. They find Rembrandt but Wade had been taken away off screen to be a broodmare.

Even as a teenager I found it icky that they wrote the character off like that.

I was ten years old when this show started and wasn't very picky with tv at that age. I really liked it at the time. It was kinda fascinating to see the decline of the show with me growing up and getting a better taste in shows. Now I question if it was ever good show to begin with. But even at the time I could tell that the show was getting worse and worse. I think it was maybe the first time I was aware that a show could get really bad over time.

Quote Originally Posted by jharker View Post
    1) Basically because of nepotism. This is based on a memory of Jerry O'Connell being on Conan way back, so don't hold me to this. But I remember him jokingly saying it was just a matter of helping his bro out because he needed a job.

I kinda feel that wasn't just a joke, seeing as how that guy's acting career didn't really amount to much. I see he ended up in The Bachelor? Weird.

2/3/4) So much behind the scenes drama. It was kind of a shitshow when it came to keeping consistency.

I'll quote the wiki (which I find kind of curious that you didn't just look up, but alright);

At the beginning of season 4 Quinn and Maggie finally make it to Earth prime (somehow later than Rembrandt and Wade) but find it conquered by the Kromagg aliens (ugh) they encountered in an earlier season. They find Rembrandt but Wade had been taken away off screen to be a broodmare.

Even as a teenager I found it icky that they wrote the character off like that.

I was ten years old when this show started and wasn't very picky with tv at that age. I really liked it at the time. It was kinda fascinating to see the decline of the show with me growing up and getting a better taste in shows. Now I question if it was ever good show to begin with. But even at the time I could tell that the show was getting worse and worse. I think it was maybe the first time I was aware that a show could get really bad over time.
    Thanks jharker, to answer your question, I don't know why I didn't check Wikipedia first, I guess I wanted the opinions of people who watched the series when it first aired, in case there was some knowledge that I couldn't find online. Thanks for your information

---Malcolm Forbes

My website

Never .jpeg a .jpeg