Thread: Hitman study

Hitman study

I've been playing with some different techniques and was looking for some feedback. I'm trying to do better backgrounds and I'm pretty happy with my progress, but it just doesn't have a "finished" look to it I think.

Thanks in advance.
    Last edited by inmyoblivion; 08-04-2017 at 06:36 PM.

Monkey with Crayons [Moderator] Veritas71's Avatar
    Smooth out the hitman's clothes. He has a very sharp look to him. Drapery folds only at bent joints. Backgrounds are hard. Perspective, scale, realism. I find shadows are very important. The sun shines down at angles, which you get to choose, and creates interesting patterns. This can be used to balance a piece, draw attention to a focal point, etc. Make the shadows work for you.
    Last edited by Veritas71; 07-11-2017 at 01:39 PM.
    OPEN FOR COMMISSIONS!
    My Blog
    My DeviantART Page
    PUMMEL Statistics: 8 Wins - 3 Losses (6-KO's) 2 Month Champ

Thanks for the feedback. I appreciate it.

On a side note, I'm really impressed this forum. On a lot of sites it seems to take about three replies before things get snarky so it's great to find a place where you generally only see constructive and honest criticism and advice.

Monkey with Crayons [Moderator] Veritas71's Avatar
    LOL. Yeah. We try to build artists up, not tear them down. Some of our users have some colorful vocabulary, but it's usually not derogatory. We also can do drawovers if needed, just ask.
    OPEN FOR COMMISSIONS!
    My Blog
    My DeviantART Page
    PUMMEL Statistics: 8 Wins - 3 Losses (6-KO's) 2 Month Champ

Not a big deal, but the vanishing points should probably be further away. I'm not sure what the square on the ground is in the foreground, but it's on the edge of looking a little funky.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Rich View Post
    Not a big deal, but the vanishing points should probably be further away. I'm not sure what the square on the ground is in the foreground, but it's on the edge of looking a little funky.
    Thanks for the input. I've been looking at some perspective lessons, but one thing I haven't seen much on is how to deal with vanishing points really far off your page...especially in three-point. Regarding the square up front, it was a street patch in a reference photo but I guess it didn't translate well. My wife wondered if it might be a rug in the street, lol.

Neophyte
    Agree, Hitman would wear ironed clothes. As for the background, have some fun with the details- business signs, advertising, garbage, pedestrians, cars, graffiti, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Rich View Post
    Not a big deal, but the vanishing points should probably be further away.
    Bingo. Instructors (and I include myself) bear some blame for this. In odrer that the student see the horizontals go to a VP, they get included right next to the drawing without a proper warning that this is NOT where the VPs belong! On your standard $100 2x3 drawing desk, it's likely your VPs won't fit on the table, let alone the sheet. The closer the VPs to the drawing (the closer to the frame for VPs inside the drawing) the more distortion you get.

The dark blue panel at bottom shows a proper frame for your VPs.

Perspective is two educated decisions with everything else carved in stone. The first two decisions I make are automatically correct as long as everything else is subservient to those decisions. Here, I've decided: A) the door on the corner store is correct; B) Hitman's standing in the right place. Once those two decisions are made... everything else goes kerflooey. (Note: I could've decided the trash can and phone pole were correct and I would've been right BUT everything else goes kerflooey in a different way)

Having made my decisions, we find the Hitman is under 5' tall. Street and traffic lights are too low. Side walk too narrow...

Where are we? Is this the Twilight Zone? People have all just disappeared? Is it a Ghost Town?

Watch your windows. Are they boarded up? Show the boards. If not, window openings need to be built up. Those are load bearing walls.

Sorry for the late response, but thanks so much for the feedback. It's great to have a place to get detailed info like this to keep me honest especially since I have a tendency to get lazy on some elements of my drawing, lol. On the technical side, the perspective sections in the books I have are pretty basic so I'm going with about the same knowledge I received in my high school industrial arts/drafting class longer ago than I care to mention. I saw a strictly perspective book on amazon (David Chelsea) ill have to pick up on my next splurge. Thanks again for all your input.