Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dick Whittler (Detective) for Eisner 100

Dick Whittler (Detective) for Eisner 100

Straight Outta a Comic Book [SUPPORTER] Symson's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    This scene tells a great story. I feel it needs some fine tuning.
    Hopefully all of the vertical lines will be parallel to each other in the final art.
    The figures are awkwardly cropped. They should be fully visible and not cropped at all.
    The victim is hardly visible and he's the story. With only his poorly cropped head, the viewer is wondering if he was decapitated? This is always the danger when cropping like this. If he was beheaded, then drive the point home by showing his body in another location.
    Dick looks like he is holding a lighter, not whittling. He has no knife in his hand to cut wood with. Find some reference on whittling to get the hand positions right.
    Inviting 100 artists to celebrate Kirby and Eisner Centennial Tribute Books

Joining you in the ABCs of faith - Action, Belief and Confidence

Nice clean style. The composition could be stronger, but unfortunately I'm not sure how I'd change it. However, I like that the piece has a moody noir feel to it and tells a story.

Couple of revisions.

Fixed the leaning buildings and flipped the crime scene.

Hands were actually referenced from a photo of someone whittling, but I forgot to draw the handle and bit of the blade that should be visible. In the final piece I'll also add some wood shavings flying out.

Monkey with Crayons [Moderator] Veritas71's Avatar
    Watch the perspective on the street lamp. The ellipsis don't match the background.

You might throw some wood shavings falling from the whittling. Also, it feels like he's standing in front of the lamp, not leaning on it. I think it's because we can't see his feet, but maybe research it too make it clear.
    OPEN FOR COMMISSIONS!
    My Blog
    My DeviantART Page
    PUMMEL Statistics: 8 Wins - 3 Losses (6-KO's) 2 Month Champ

Straight Outta a Comic Book [SUPPORTER] Symson's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Okay here's where you have to use the reference as a tool and not a crutch.

You don't have to be a slave to the reference. Now take some artistic license and make the wood and knife more visible to the viewer. Exaggerate!
    Inviting 100 artists to celebrate Kirby and Eisner Centennial Tribute Books

Joining you in the ABCs of faith - Action, Belief and Confidence

Felt the composition was much stronger with the guys in the back facing inside the picture. Now with the crop in the waist of the corpse it feels like there is a piece missing here. Just my 5 cents. Gotta say I love the body lingo and face. Nice inks on those
    "Censorship is legal vandalization of art" - Urban Dictionary
    |LHW Bottomfeeder|
    PJ Sketchblog
    petethacreepofficial

Should have this finished by the end of the week.