Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: Considering Otis college of art and design

Straight Outta a Comic Book [SUPPORTER] Symson's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Ace Corona View Post
    What type of education did you acquire to do all that?
    It’s the experience I acquired, not the education or Ph.D i should say, that has allowed me to teach.
    That experience involves having advertising agencies, entertainment companies, publishers and fortune 500 companies as clients.

My actual experience in the world is more valued by colleges than a degree.
    Inviting 100 artists to celebrate Kirby and Eisner Centennial Tribute Books

Joining you in the ABCs of faith - Action, Belief and Confidence

Most of all, the power of infinite love! Guru_George's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by astrocity20 View Post
    It's like Smitty said... both. Being both skilled and having people who trust you not to screw up and not make a deadline go a long way.
    True... But... Having clients with deep pockets do help allot.

Testing... for Science. [SUPPORTER]
    [Moderator]
    Quote Originally Posted by astrocity20 View Post
    It's like Smitty said... both. Being both skilled and having people who trust you not to screw up and not make a deadline go a long way.
    I think you meant "not miss a deadline".

At any rate, it's not about being inside some private circlejerk, or about being "hooked up", it's more about proving yourself to be trustworthy. So much of any creative production business relies on trust. The earlier you are in the production pipeline, the more important it is that you be reliable. Because if you fumble, you're screwing not just yourself but several other people up and down the chain.

So people hire other people that they already know. Or they hire people who come well-recommended. Or they hire people who present themselves through their work as being worth taking a chance on. Because they desperately want to trust in your reliability.
    ONLINE PORTFOLIO
    DevArt

"If something's getting made, then someone's getting paid."

Trust is always a factor and has the value of gold, that's why all of the people I've worked with on long terms I've met Personally, had dinner with them and became mutual friends with.

Money is not something you just spend on someone sitting behind a computer. Trust is very much the same as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Inkthinker View Post
    I think you meant "not miss a deadline".
    Ha! Yes.

You can be friends and network with people but if those people know you can't do a job then they aren't going to put their own reputation on the line by recommending you even if they like you.

Post edited.
    Last edited by CrazyMobius; 07-07-2017 at 07:49 PM.

Meeting someone in person and communicating with them in person tells allot about them. Its not just about if they can do the job but will they do it. There are allot of con-artist out there that will just take the money and run. Again pointing out the important's of trust.

You need good communication in order to have good trust, this is what I'm communicating here right now.

Jackass of All Trades [Moderator] amadarwin's Avatar
    Penciljack National Headquarters Basement
    Glad the heat died before I had to bring in the locks. Good job, fellas!

To keep this on topic, with the technological advances out there and the many, many, MANY, skilled artists giving their trade away for free online (and some, for a nominal fee). I really can't imagine that you'd learn anything more, or better, from a costly degree instead of burning the midnight graphite.

Degrees are glamorized and sold to young, impressionable minds the moment their mom's uterus pukes them out into the world. The benefits are hammered relentlessly into their brains by parents, teachers, friends, and anyone else who've unknowingly (or knowingly) bought into the dogma.

Don't fall for it. Especially in this field. A degree will not make you a better artist or story teller. If anything, take that 40 grand and convince someone like Smitty to allow you to completely drain his insight and skills for a year or two. Learning 1 on 1 with a mentor type person has always been a favored go to with art. Ask any renaissance artist. Or blacksmith.
    Check out Film Grouch!

Wanna be uncool? Unhip? Unhung? Join the Monkey Revolution!

Amadarwin's unauthorized, unscathing, unfinished biography.

Master of Miniaturization Ace Corona's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by amadarwin View Post
    Glad the heat died before I had to bring in the locks. Good job, fellas!

To keep this on topic, with the technological advances out there and the many, many, MANY, skilled artists giving their trade away for free online (and some, for a nominal fee). I really can't imagine that you'd learn anything more, or better, from a costly degree instead of burning the midnight graphite.

Degrees are glamorized and sold to young, impressionable minds the moment their mom's uterus pukes them out into the world. The benefits are hammered relentlessly into their brains by parents, teachers, friends, and anyone else who've unknowingly (or knowingly) bought into the dogma.

Don't fall for it. Especially in this field. A degree will not make you a better artist or story teller. If anything, take that 40 grand and convince someone like Smitty to allow you to completely drain his insight and skills for a year or two. Learning 1 on 1 with a mentor type person has always been a favored go to with art. Ask any renaissance artist. Or blacksmith.
    Thank you, your input reinforces my decision to not continue with college after getting my A.A. Degree and honing my craft on my own for a few years
    The biggest mistake people make in life is not trying to make a living at doing what they most enjoy.

---Malcolm Forbes

My deviantART
    My Ace Corona Port at WDC