Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Considering Otis college of art and design

Master of Miniaturization Ace Corona's Avatar

Considering Otis college of art and design

After I graduate with an A.A. In graphic design from my junior college, I'm considering enrolling in Otis college of art and design majoring in illustration with a minor in advertising design.

What do you guys think? I know of at least one famous comic artist who graduated from Otis, but can't recall his name. I'm thinking I can make money in the advertising business while doing comics as a hobby.
    The biggest mistake people make in life is not trying to make a living at doing what they most enjoy.

---Malcolm Forbes

My deviantART
    My Ace Corona Port at WDC

Not Spoiling for a Fight Pencilero's Avatar

Lightbulb

Quote Originally Posted by Ace Corona View Post
    After I graduate with an A.A. In graphic design from my junior college, I'm considering enrolling in Otis college of art and design majoring in illustration with a minor in advertising design.

What do you guys think? I know of at least one famous comic artist who graduated from Otis, but can't recall his name. I'm thinking I can make money in the advertising business while doing comics as a hobby.
    If you have a degree that will earn you money, focus on that.

I would not waste money on funnybook "education".

Look at the number of legends in the comic industry who are completely self taught. If you've already got solid drawing chops, you're well on your way.

Unless, of course, you can easily afford it. Then go nuts.
    New and improved for 1996!
    Instagram: Pencilero

Quote Originally Posted by Pencilero View Post
    If you have a degree that will earn you money, focus on that.

I would not waste money on funnybook "education".

Look at the number of legends in the comic industry who are completely self taught. If you've already got solid drawing chops, you're well on your way.

Unless, of course, you can easily afford it. Then go nuts.
    Thanks Pencilero
    The biggest mistake people make in life is not trying to make a living at doing what they most enjoy.

---Malcolm Forbes

My deviantART

Don't waste your money on any art school. The ROI is a joke. Invest in your future unless you plan on being single and broke. Most art schools cost the same as a nursing degree. How many broke nurses do you see? Hone your craft by yourself.
    walril.deviantart.com

P.U.M.M.E.L. stats: 6 Wins | 20 Losses | 5 KOs

Tuition: $42,370 (not including all the fees)

Give me a break. I have no idea how art schools get away with such murder. You're in/near the L.A. area, there are tons of options to choose from when it comes to getting taught to draw and paint. There are a number of studios over there that run classes at a much more manageable dollar rate.

Quote Originally Posted by astrocity20 View Post
    Tuition: $42,370 (not including all the fees)

Give me a break. I have no idea how art schools get away with such murder.
    My hare brained theory is prestige, and literally "paying your dues" in order to access a network of similar folk.

I work in a facility with a lot of graduates from a similarly prestigious liberal arts college. There I can bear witness to this networking in action, it's not so much what you graduate having learned. It's merely that you've graduated and are now one of the tribe. So basically a very, very expensive fraternity/sorority.

Yeah, so what. My six figure salary trumps that. I can also get better at drawing. Again, look at roi.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    walril.deviantart.com

P.U.M.M.E.L. stats: 6 Wins | 20 Losses | 5 KOs

Quote Originally Posted by Walril View Post
    Yeah, so what. My six figure salary trumps that. I can also get better at drawing. Again, look at roi.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Um, congratulations on your income but most people aren't pulling down six figure salaries, especially those who want to be comic book artists. So... that's what.

Pencilero, they'd have been better off just paying a one off $40,000 bribe to get a position if they're holding their place without any merit anyways.

Quote Originally Posted by Walril View Post
    Money can't buy you love.

Nor can it buy you talent.

Raw practice would benefit you more than throwing around cash. Looking at your DA page, there's barely progress over five years. I mean, maybe that's why you're earning six figures - but if you can't find the time to draw now, what will academia change?

There's a reason fine arts is one of the worst college majors, and only children of privilege pursue such education. Typically with diminishing returns.

Jim Lee, degree in psychology from Princeton. Titan in the funnybook market. He has a solid return on investment in the form of a great Plan B, but fortunately he's Jim Lee and can draw his ass off and has become a legend in the funnybook racket.

I've seen too many fat headed ding dongs get passed through colleges with cartooning degrees, and it's evident the only reason they passed is because they paid. Then they graduate with severe debt, low skill, and inflated egos. You can't fault these schools for not qualifying / testing for actual skill, when education is mostly for profit these days.

Don't be a chump kids.

Thanks to everyone who posted in this thread, I'll hold off on art school until I sell that screenplay I plan on writing, until then, I'll just draw comics after I graduate

---Malcolm Forbes

My deviantART