Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Recommendations on portable drawing tablets.

Quote Originally Posted by Pencilero View Post
    Where do you go to test Wacom tech?

Living in an economically depressed region, Wacom tech is rarer than unicorns. The only time I've been able to test a Cintiq briefly was years ago at an Autodesk booth at Heroes Con.

Not even Micro Center has demo units, and they're the only PC hardware game in town.

I just spotted the PS4 Media Control at the game store while being a dummy this past weekend, I may pick one up and test it out with my Surface for hot keys. It has a better form factor and more buttons than my dead VR3D remote. Plus since it's not el cheapo electronics equipment it may last longer than 7 weeks.
    There are two stores in Sydney, Australia that promote Apple hardware but they also have Wacom products marketed for designers. Tbh Wacom Australia have terrible marketing because people don't know what their product is and what it can do. Thankfully, Powermedia have Photoshop installed for consumers to test the stylus and pressure.

I just missed out on 20% off on the new Cintiqs on ebay, however in Australia the are doing a combination of 5 to 15% off the new tech that utilizes Pro Pen 2 technology.

I was thinking I might have bought the Cintiq Pro 16 with the 20% off but I read on reddit some issues with wavy lines when using 4k. Again, at around 2k retail I'm content with relying on my 24hd touch and 21ux. I start a new internship at an animation company and would love a tablet with 94% colour gamut when I'm learning to background paint.

Not Spoiling for a Fight Pencilero's Avatar
    Putzed with another Surface demo unit yesterday and the Sketchable software. I'm pretty impressed digging into the software functions - it's very similar to the Autodesk Sketchbook software. Symmetry tools, multiple pencils. I didn't check for Perspective tools. I'll keep that in mind next time.

I tried to be more mindful of the pen feel, and I noticed it does feel quite a deal better than the older generation (Surface 2) pen.

Doing some research, there were aggressive prices on the Surface tablet at Best Buy and Microsoft stores last year during Black Friday. So I may take the plunge on that fateful day.

I'll have to putz with an iPad at some point, but I admit a full blown bias in not wanting to be trapped within the iOS ecosystem, and waiting eight years for Apple to deliver the product I wanted years ago - the ship has sailed. So it's very low priority.
    New and improved for 1996!
    Instagram: Pencilero

Okay, spent a little more time at Best Buy with the Surface Pro and Sketchable.

Out of the gate, one of the units had a wonky pen. Drawing a slower line in sketchbook on it was jittery with the pen near the unit. So being a true help desk dork - I tested with the pen near another machine and the line quality was steady on the same tablet. Unfortunately the security cables were not long enough for me to cobble together a working situation on the machine with the faster CPU, so I jumped on the slower CPU unit (still faster than my SP pro2) and installed Sketchable and went to town.

The pen feel IS much better. I'm trying to be cognizant of it in the tests, but from the amount of drag / friction with the new pen tips on the glass drawing surface to the pressure sensitivity. Everything is a substantial leap over my Surface Pro 2. Don't get me wrong - my SP2 serves me well, but damn it is hard to not run out and buy a new unit tomorrow.

Palm rejection is solid.

I don't know the multiple finger gestures of Windows 10 on a tablet, but it will take some adjusting to. I found I needed to set the pen down or move it well away from the screen when pinching and zooming.

To be fair, I went over to look at the iPads and Apple pencils; but I didn't have much time to spend on that unit. Out of the gate, I was turned off by the lack of an eraser on the Apple pencil. It took them eight years to get the pencil developed. Let's hope it doesn't take another eight to get an eraser. The tip is more pencil styled and less Wacom styled, so if you're looking for the digital equivalent of a Prismacolor sharpened pencil, the Apple pencil is the choice for you. However if you're used to working within the Wacom ecosystem - the Surface pen is not all that far removed, and the eraser is incredibly useful - even though I'm still used to working with my SP2 and forget it's there.

I encourage anybody interested to go to a Best Buy and fart around with the units. Hands on experience can't be beat, and most of the Surface demo units now have Sketchable installed on them that I've seen. Which is an improvement over the previous demo units which didn't have dedicated illustration software to road test the hardware.

Quote Originally Posted by Pencilero View Post
    To be fair, I went over to look at the iPads and Apple pencils; but I didn't have much time to spend on that unit. Out of the gate, I was turned off by the lack of an eraser on the Apple pencil. It took them eight years to get the pencil developed. Let's hope it doesn't take another eight to get an eraser. The tip is more pencil styled and less Wacom styled, so if you're looking for the digital equivalent of a Prismacolor sharpened pencil, the Apple pencil is the choice for you. However if you're used to working within the Wacom ecosystem - the Surface pen is not all that far removed, and the eraser is incredibly useful - even though I'm still used to working with my SP2 and forget it's there.
    Question: If you forget that you have an eraser on your current SP2 stylus, do you have actual need of an eraser on the Apple Pencil or is it something you think should just come stock on all professional styluses (styli?). Or is it just your SP2 where you forget about it.

To be honest, I don't even use the eraser on my Wacom Intuos Pro stylus. I forget it's there. I just always use a hot key. It probably comes from not having erasers on my real pencils and always using a separate eraser. How the stylus works is of more concern to me than having an eraser on the other end. I used the Apple Pencil on a first gen iPad Pro, and it was really, really nice. Worked smoothly and was fun to use. (Procreate, on the other hand, I had some issues with, but that's another story)
    Phillip Ginn

Quote Originally Posted by pmginn View Post
    Question: If you forget that you have an eraser on your current SP2 stylus, do you have actual need of an eraser on the Apple Pencil or is it something you think should just come stock on all professional styluses (styli?). Or is it just your SP2 where you forget about it.

To be honest, I don't even use the eraser on my Wacom Intuos Pro stylus. I forget it's there. I just always use a hot key. It probably comes from not having erasers on my real pencils and always using a separate eraser. How the stylus works is of more concern to me than having an eraser on the other end. I used the Apple Pencil on a first gen iPad Pro, and it was really, really nice. Worked smoothly and was fun to use. (Procreate, on the other hand, I had some issues with, but that's another story)
    I may have articulated that bolded part poorly judging by your reply.

The SP2 pen has no eraser built in.

I need to manually toggle the eraser either by hotkey or software menu.

When I worked on my Intuous I used the eraser quite often. It's a natural motion that we all learn early on with No.2 and other cheap pencils we learn to write with.

And the final statement of your reply - I'm too old to go wasting my time / learning new software. I have a day job that impedes on the majority of my time. When I have time to myself, I need to get in, and draw. This is why I'm happy with Manga Studio. It's a worthwhile piece of software, affordable compared to the alternatives, and has a fantastic tool set for creating comics.

Again - I encourage anybody without experience to go try both at a demo kiosk to get a feel for them.

For me, I prefer the product that works with the software I know and use. Plus the improved pen tip to add friction while drawing (and the pen includes additional styled tips I'm not able to test at a demo kiosk) with an eraser function built in so I can spend more time sketching, and less time pressing more than the Tab key to toggle my menus.

In terms of what I expect in terms of usage - it's sort of implied you're not using an iPad with a keyboard, although you could, but it would only make sense to build more function into the input device.

Again - it took Apple eight years to come up with an adequate drawing instrument for their media consumption devices. I have no doubt they'll draw out including an eraser on a future model to sell more hardware to the Apple acolytes. Then a button on the body of the pencil to toggle additional functions on a further iteration.
    Last edited by Pencilero; 10-02-2017 at 09:22 PM.

I could pm you but could you share the problems that you have with Procreate on the ipad pro in the thread 'Apple Pencil' in the Break Room. Thanks in advance.

Pencilero:
    That's a perfectly reasonable perspective. Related side note: last night, while coloring a piece, I remembered this thread and flipped over my Intuos stylus to use the eraser. It was weird; I rarely do that with real pencils that have erasers. It's efficient, but it felt foreign since I normally use a separate eraser. Different strokes (no pun intended).

As for learning new software, it can absolutely be cumbersome, especially if you prefer not to spend time doing that and would rather just get to drawing instead. If you didn't mind learning new software, I'd recommend checking out Astropad for the iPad (I'm not sure/can't remember if you have or not), which allows you to use Photoshop on your iPad, and I just read that some users are using it to work in Manga Studio, as well. But, of course, you'd have to want to use the Apple Pencil as is, not mention learning the ins and outs of Astropad.

Dri:
    Honestly, I may have overstated my reservations about Procreate (sorry); I don't know if my comments would be worth posting in the Apple Pencil thread. My issue with the version of Procreate when the iPad Pro came out was that the pressure sensitivity didn't emulate traditional tools in the way Wacom attempts to, which I find more intuitive and is important to me since I use traditional tools to draw 99% of the time. I honestly can't remember the details of my experience with it since I only had a couple hours with it 2 years ago, but while I remember it being better than, say, Pencil by 53 (velocity-based line width variation), I recall needing to do the opposite of how I'd normally use pressure with, for example, a dip pen, and that it was counter-intuitive for me.

If you'd like to chat about your experience, how it might be different from mine, and would rather move it to the Apple Pencil thread, let me know here and I'll move over.
    Phillip Ginn

Dri:
    Honestly, I may have overstated my reservations about Procreate (sorry); I don't know if my comments would be worth posting in the Apple Pencil thread. My issue with the version of Procreate when the iPad Pro came out was that the pressure sensitivity didn't emulate traditional tools in the way Wacom attempts to, which I find more intuitive and is important to me since I use traditional tools to draw 99% of the time. I honestly can't remember the details of my experience with it since I only had a couple hours with it 2 years ago, but while I remember it being better than, say, Pencil by 53 (velocity-based line width variation), I recall needing to do the opposite of how I'd normally use pressure with, for example, a dip pen, and that it was counter-intuitive for me.

If you'd like to chat about your experience, how it might be different from mine, and would rather move it to the Apple Pencil thread, let me know here and I'll move over.
    Nah. All good. Don't want to derail the thread especially if the experience may not be relevant now. 2 years is a long time ago when it comes to technology.

Hi everyone, I'm new to the forums. This is very relevant to me since I work offshore. I'm looking for options for making art while underway or away from my studio.

How do you work with the Galaxy Tab S3? Is it with a PS app on android? I've been using a Samsung's Chromebook over the past few months for light use and emails and it has the ability to download and use android apps with varying success. I don't think it has the gusto for illustration work, though. It does have a pen and touchscreen, but no pressure sensitivity.