Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 28

Thread: steel vengeance

  1. #1

    steel vengeance

    This is a 5 page short story ive done with writer Marco Lopez. Ive done a few short stories with him now, these pages are going to be coloured as well, there a few flashback scenes which i tried to indicate with a different border style as well, but the colours will help more

    below are the first 3 pages i will post the final 2 tomoz, let me know what you think and thanks for looking

    pg 1






    pg 2

    pg 3


  2. #2
    made a start on the colours, these are not final but just wanted to show a bit of progression


  3. #3
    Watch the wrist.

    From the shoulder, through the barrel and to the target is one straight line.


  4. #4
    It has a good energy to it all. I like the rough-cut pulpy shadows. I would take Smitty's comment to heart for both panels where you have shooting going on. Shooting poses that look "off" lose their impact , and if crime-noir is your thing then it's going to be worth your time to really make it a point to study shooting poses until you know you can nail it down everytime.

  5. #5
    thanks smitty, ive kind of made the same mistake on a page below. Ive always found drawing characters holding objects difficult. anyway here are pages 4 and 5

    page 4



    page 5


  6. #6
    Quote Originally Posted by bedtime143 View Post
    thanks smitty, ive kind of made the same mistake on a page below. Ive always found drawing characters holding objects difficult. anyway here are pages 4 and 5
    I've always thought of shooting poses as one of the bigger hurdles to master. You've got the hand position, the foreshortening of the arm, the eyes coordinating with the hand, alignment of the body and shoulder... there is a lot of stuff going on. It's not like just holding a sword chopping away randomly. But I guess that's why you see it done incorrectly so often. But seriously, I like your pages. They look fresh and they don't have a static posed feel. Good stuff.

  7. #7
    Quote Originally Posted by Nexus View Post
    It's not like just holding a sword chopping away randomly.
    uhh... It's exactly like that.

    You can chop randomly but, the grip is universal regardless of race, creed, religion, sexual preference or party affiliation.

    You hit what you aim for and you aim by pointing. Tell your dog, "look" and he'll look at you like you're nuts. Tell your dog, "look" and point at something, he'll follow the line of your arm right to the object you want. Tell your dog, "look" and point with your thumb at 90 to your arm, he'll follow the arm and find nothing and, again, look at you like you're nuts.

    One straight line. It doesn't have to go back to the shoulder. You can hold a gun/sword/knife with arm bent BUT the barrel/hilt will follow a straight line from the elbow to the target. Break that line and you don't shoot the target, you shoot the person next to you. Break that line you hit your opponent with the flat of your blade and he then chops your head off because he knows how to hold a sword correctly.

  8. #8
    Quote Originally Posted by Smitty View Post
    You hit what you aim for and you aim by pointing. Tell your dog, "look" and he'll look at you like you're nuts. Tell your dog, "look" and point at something, he'll follow the line of your arm right to the object you want. Tell your dog, "look" and point with your thumb at 90 to your arm, he'll follow the arm and find nothing and, again, look at you like you're nuts.
    Sure, the grip part I agree with, but the position of a sword when striking isn't always parallel or precise with the direction of the arm, unless it is an absolutely ideal full swing, like you are chopping a static piece of wood sitting right in front of you. Sword battle is often more random in how the blade falls based upon the block of an opponent and the body movement of the opponent. Not so much with a gun. A gun is a much more precision tool, therefore the poses need to be more precise to look legit compared to dirty swordplay. That's my take anyway.

  9. #9
    The Gozerian MLaw's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    The Nth Dimension
    Posts
    3,317
    Quote Originally Posted by Nexus View Post
    Sure, the grip part I agree with, but the position of a sword when striking isn't always parallel or precise with the direction of the arm, unless it is an absolutely ideal full swing, like you are chopping a static piece of wood sitting right in front of you. Sword battle is often more random in how the blade falls based upon the block of an opponent and the body movement of the opponent. Not so much with a gun. A gun is a much more precision tool, therefore the poses need to be more precise to look legit compared to dirty swordplay. That's my take anyway.
    I'll help you out here.. google Paul Martin Smith X-Men.
    You're welcome.
    I am always doing that which I cannot do, in order that I may learn how to do it. ~Pablo Picasso

    my deviantart
    my sketchbook

  10. #10
    Quote Originally Posted by MLaw View Post
    I'll help you out here.. google Paul Martin Smith X-Men.
    You're welcome.
    Yep, I knew Smitty was Paul Smith... which is really cool, but we are having a discussion about art, right? I wasn't saying Paul was wrong, I just thought he was misunderstanding the context of my comment. But yes, thank you.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •