Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Blip Martindale Inks

Blip Martindale Inks

I'm attaching a few recent examples of my inking work. Any thoughts would be appreciated. Thank you.

Please feel free to visit my "Deviantart" page to see full size, and many more, images.

Last edited by Blip Martindale; 07-06-2017 at 09:11 PM. Reason: Added images

Monkey with Crayons [Moderator] Veritas71's Avatar
    Here is a quick run down on how to post images on PencilJack.

First, go to the image hosting site (DevArt, Photobucket, ImageShack, etc) and RIGHT CLICK on the image you want to post.

Next, select 'COPY IMAGE URL' or 'COPY IMAGE ADDRESS' and then return to PencilJack. Last, in the Quick Reply section, select INSERT IMAGE icon at the top (3rd from the right) and PASTE the URL into the box that pops up.

Done.
    OPEN FOR COMMISSIONS!
    My Blog
    My DeviantART Page
    PUMMEL Statistics: 8 Wins - 3 Losses (6-KO's) 2 Month Champ

I hope you'll forgive the "recycled" responses but, these are such common mistakes that a "one size fits all" answer works perfectly well.

Quote Originally Posted by Smitty View Post
    Clean but too faithful. Too much tracing not enough drawing. You're an artist, not a human Xerox machine. The artist provides a framework and defines "this" area as hair or steel or wood BUT how hair and steel and wood are delineated are none of his business. Those decisions are yours!

Think of comics as a fine vintage automobile. In the old days when you bought a car from Duesenberg or Bugatti or Rolls, what you got was a frame, engine, 4 wheels and that was it. If you wanted seats, floorboards, doors you went to a coach maker. The artist makes the car, the inker builds the coach. Just like the coach maker, you want a style of your own (why else would they hire you) that can be spotted a mile away.

Sit back, relax, breathe, let fly. Get some slop in there. If the reader has to check the credit box to see if you contributed, you screwed up.
    Quote Originally Posted by Smitty View Post
    For a primer on exactly what an inker does look to Fantastic Four 38-45 (unfortunately I don't know if there's a single volume collection of this run but, the Essesntials books (vol 2&3) are dirt cheap) where we see five inkers over eight issues: Stone, Giacoia/Wood, Colletta, and Sinnott. While Jack's work evolved over decades, it's consistent in the 8 month run yet, each inker's run looks radically different. Jack never knew who was going to ink. I guarantee he didn't redesign Ben between Stone and Giacoia, he didn't draw DD in Woody's style, he never decided to scrap everything for the "Classic" look when Sinnott came back. All those differences come from the inkers alone.

None of the finest inkers needed someone to draw for them. Sinnott, Anderson, Palmer, Nowlan, Williamson etc, were as good, if not better, than the people they inked. Learn to draw well in your own style and bring that style with you. Never "ink" anything, use ink to draw with and use the artist as a frame for your original work.
    Specific to these submissions

Williams- This looks like you scanned the art, adjusted levels and dropped in some blacks. Where are you in all this?

Frank- By concentrating on line, the life has been sucked out leaving the page stiff and lifeless. Screw line quality and the syphilitic horse that rode into town on top of it. If your line fails to mimic the artist's exactly, GOOD! Now we have art and not human xerography. Never draw lines! Use line to DRAW: form, action, character. Line is the tool, not the goal.

Hawthorne- The big problem here is an artist unsuited to the work. This would be fine for the Legion of Super Heroes which occurs 1,000 years in the future but, the Hyborian age was 12,000-35,000 years in our past. Look to artists like Foster, Frazetta, Kaluta, Kubert and get some slop in there

Other that the surface of calm water, there's no such thing as a straight line in Conan's world. That door frame wasn't bought finished from Home Depot. Most likely it's flotsam from a shipwreck; hewn by hand, aged by sun and salt, hacked by swords, zapped by lightning, blasted by cannon, smashed upon the rocks and dragged back to town. It will be no straighter than a line drawn freehand. You can use a ruler but, use it to get an unruled look.

Any dive Conan is likely to visit is one where the slime that grows under the scum of the earth is afraid to go. This place looks like a theme restaurant at Disneyland. Where's the piss, the puke, the blood, garbage, etc.

Remember, you are not the artist's slave; the artist is your assistant and a lazy-assed one at that. The publisher called you because the artist wasn't man enough to finish the job and they need you to save their bacon. Bring your best, not your least.

More samples, visit my "Deviantart" for larger views

Monkey with Crayons [Moderator] Veritas71's Avatar
    If this is going to be a running thread, I can move this over to the members art blog section. If not, please start a new thread for new pieces. Let me know.
    OPEN FOR COMMISSIONS!
    My Blog
    My DeviantART Page
    PUMMEL Statistics: 8 Wins - 3 Losses (6-KO's) 2 Month Champ

Whichever you prefer. I figured the mods wouldn't want me cluttering the board with a dozen similar threads. I'm fine with whatever. Thanks.

Another couple pages of my inks. Thanks for looking.

test

test again

Why is it always such a chore and waiting game to post images on this board, a board dedicated to... images of comic art?

I understand bandwidth costs money, but there are millions of message boards - 99.9999999999% of them not art-themed in any way - bursting with countless images all over the place.

It's really off-putting to come here, make a post with a few images, hit "submit" and then see the post disappear into the ether until who knows when... no idea if it needs approval or was lost or what.