Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Ethan Van Sciver (DC artist)

PUMMEL Mod [SUPPORTER]
    [Moderator]
    Quote Originally Posted by D.C. View Post
    Compiles all the posts around the situation: https://www.bleedingcool.com/2017/05...media-anymore/
    Thanks, mang.
    My Deviant Art page
    My PUMMEL stats
    PUMMEL stats: 61 wins | 58 losses | 31 KOs
    2 Time Heavyweight Champion
    Light Heavyweight Commissioner

Doesn't sound like a great person. Then again, what got him to the point where he'd say that to someone?

He's an artist who's style I think is good. Not great. I mainly remember him for hiding the word "sex" everywhere in the backgrounds of X-Men 118.

If anything, it was Grant Morrison who offended me during that run of the X-Men for how he people, especially women of faith backgrounds.

I think he went on to do Green Lantern right?

Ultimately, does it matter what he is like as a person? I hear John Byrne is a pretty lousy person. I like his art.

Stan Lee is an amazing guy to meet (and I personally love his comics). Yet I think most people here are quite critical of the guy.

Personalty and Ability are mutually exclusive.

Frantic Pencil Energy VagabondX's Avatar
    Just more proof that politics in general is a waste of time. All they do is make people hate each other for 'being on the other side' and no other reason.

Not Spoiling for a Fight Pencilero's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Juggertha View Post
    Anyone in here know him personally? I see him getting blasted on social media these days, and hadn't heard of him before. But holy cow, he's stepped in a bit of the doo doo.

Apparently he told some dude commenting on his page to "go kill himself", and then the latest one I've seen is his sketchbook cover (apparently, he is a bit famous for his right wing rants).

So, I'm wondering if he's just an ok dude that is a SM idiot, or if he really IS that far out there (?)

I have met Ethan van Sciver in person and he's a pleasant guy.

He's also very unassuming. While we were at his table, he got up to go talk to some legendary artist and left my buddy and I in 2008 to mind his portable bluray player. A new and expensive device, all his original art, and his supplies - left alone with two complete strangers.

Now pardon me if I incorrectly attribute information here, but I am a Green Lantern reader, and the sketch book you're wetting your pants over features Sinestro on the cover. Whom I believe Ethan van Sciver has stated in interviews, he visually based his version of the Green Lantern's ultimate villain on one of humanity's ultimate villains - Adolf Hitler.

Again, I may be misremembering - but I'm pretty certain I heard that on an interview with him, and that explains the title and character featured on it.

But this is the internet, and it's full of morons, which is why this whole thread is taking place.

Don't be a gossip.

Just go meet the guy at a convention.

It's no guarantee he won't be having a bad day. I met John Byrne decades ago, and stopped buying his work because of that encounter. I've also met Frank Cho multiple times, and depending on the day, he can be a nice and chatty guy; or he can be a terse jerk.

Disentangling this conversation from politics, with how you're angling it - is like discussing spaghetti, and attempting to separate the pasta from the marinara.
    New and improved for 1996!
    Instagram: Pencilero

Social media is like cancer that people willingly give themselves. I think artists, politicians, celebrities, etc. have to treat anything they say on twitter, facebook, etc. as being on the job (ie as if they were representing their employers) or it will come back and bite them on the ass and reflect negatively on their work.

I lost interest in Byrne stuff after joining his forum byrnerobotics in 2007. I used to get everything, then found he was a jerk and now his stuff looks less appealing to me.
    Last edited by golgotha; 05-13-2017 at 10:30 AM.
    "when there's no more room in hell...the dead will walk the earth."

my drawings
    my crazy music
    my facebook

PUMMEL Mod [SUPPORTER]
    [Moderator]
    Quote Originally Posted by Pencilero View Post
    Just go meet the guy at a convention.
    I live in asia... so unless he's coming over here, chances are slim.

Quote Originally Posted by battlewraith View Post
    Social media is like cancer that people willingly give themselves. I think artists, politicians, celebrities, etc. have to treat anything they say on twitter, facebook, etc. as being on the job (ie as if they were representing their employers) or it will come back and bite them on the ass and reflect negatively on their work.
    For better or worse, yup(!), it's the reality nowadays.
    My Deviant Art page
    My PUMMEL stats
    PUMMEL stats: 61 wins | 58 losses | 31 KOs
    2 Time Heavyweight Champion
    Light Heavyweight Commissioner

Not Spoiling for a Fight Pencilero's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by golgotha View Post
    I lost interest in Byrne stuff after joining his forum byrnerobotics in 2007. I used to get everything, then found he was a jerk and now his stuff looks less appealing to me.
    You're lucky.

He was the first comic pro I met at my first "convention" in 1992-93. One of those awful hotel conference room flea markets.

Quote Originally Posted by Juggertha View Post
    I live in asia... so unless he's coming over here, chances are slim.
    So, you're concerned about this internet banter. . . why?

It's more baffling if you're attempting to separate the man from his politics, which is the crux of this thread.

Plenty of content creators say dumb things, and I lose no sleep over it. If it's somebody whose work I enjoy, then I have to wrap my head around it (do I continue to support this persons work, or abandon it), and if it's somebody I have no familiarity with, or interest in I pay it no mind.

A lot of folks are political, right up to the point where the check cut to them from the person (corporation, but in America corporations are people) whose opinions, or views, they find repellent; but they need to feed their families. Granted, it may be easier to do when you're known for rehashing the works of Stan Lee for a new generation of rubes.

For the record, I'm not much of a fan of EvS work; so I don't want it to seem as though my participation here is fueled by admiration.
    New and improved for 1996!
    Instagram: Pencilero

Idiot vs SJWs, news at 10. Professionals hawking funny books or anything else that they splatter their names on would be better served using said accounts in a professional way. I know, common sense right?

If we're basing our opinions on what artists say and do on social media.. especially without any context.. then there are literally no artists I can look at anymore... myself included.
    I am always doing that which I cannot do, in order that I may learn how to do it. ~Pablo Picasso

my deviantart
    my sketchbook