Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Best places to hunt for freelance work?

Best places to hunt for freelance work?

Anyone have any hot tips on where you hunt for freelance jobs?

I always check the bulletin boards here, at Digital Webbing, and at ConceptArt.org. Sometimes I look at more mainstream job/networking sites, but they always seem like...the wrong kind of clients.

Ma-Ma's not the law... I'm the LAW! [SUPPORTER] 50%grey's Avatar
    Orphan are you only looking for Comic book jobs, or could you do other things to pay the bills while you work on comics such as vectoring etc?

Is Storyboarding outside of comics another possibility?

If so there is a bunch of face book groups that list jobs in the video gaming/film/animation industry

These are the ones I found so far

https://www.facebook.com/groups/Conn...s.and.Artists/

https://www.facebook.com/cartoonbrewjobs/

One of the DC guys who taught me lettering, and vectoring also said to look at Linkdin, and Craigslist of all things for art jobs.

Also every major company like Disney etc has a Facebook employee recruiting page now, its another outlet for jobs.

I will say if you can learn vectoring ( super easy, and tons of tutorials online) You can make a very good amount of money to finance working your comics.
    “Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art.” ― Andy Warhol

Thanks, 50! I'm looking primarily for the stuff I have the skills for, like comics, illustration, character design, etc. I think storyboarding qualifies, though I've never actually done any. I did buy and watch a whole DVD series on storyboarding, because I wanted to learn their tricks for comics!

What do you mean by "vectoring"? I know the basics of vector programs like Illustrator.

Thanks for the help!

What do you mean by "vectoring"? I know the basics of vector programs like Illustrator.
    I was surprised by this, but tons of companies pay really well for you to make style guides for them from everything from their cartoon characters, their brand names etc.

All it really is inking their art with vector lines in illustrator then locking it down so they can send it to different places to make billboards, merchandise out of.

According to this teacher if you can already draw ( which you obviously can lol) ,and can vector tons of studios could use that help.

The guy relaying this info has done a ton of vector titles for the NBA, NFL, Coke, etc.
    “Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art.” ― Andy Warhol

Oh shit dog! That sounds promising. Would you happen to have any leads on where I could start looking? Or am I on my own?

From what he told us, all you need to do is make a portfolio with that kind of stuff then send it to every company that you can find that does any type of IP branding. Which is every major entity.

He says they also advertise a lot on Craigslist, and look for people through Linkidin as well. If you live in SoCal still there should be a good bit of that work out there.

Also by portfolio, I mean draw up some mascots etc then vector it in Illustrator. Also make up some Titling like you would see on the cover of a comic, and then vector that to show what you can do.

It might also be worth coming up with a company that you own that advertises that they can do that type of work. Then post that everywhere including the social media sites.
    Last edited by 50%grey; 05-08-2017 at 06:05 PM.

Thanks, 50, that's all really helpful. I'll look into it.

Yeah, no problem, wish I could give you more of a definitive source that posted open jobs, but from what I've seen selling art is a real hustle no matter what field it's in.

I do notice by looking at that Cartoon Brew facebook page that there seems to be more job postings in the animation field then a lot of the other ones.

Try joining the Facebook group https://www.facebook.com/groups/Conn...f=group_header
    there are usually lots of people looking for artists.

Does Vectoring pay well?