Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Will Eisner tribute wip

Will Eisner tribute wip

Really been struggling with this piece. so Im drawing Lady Luck. I figured i might put in a caption with lady luck saying "just one more dance Will?"

Love Will Eisner, gotta work on my pencilling, hav'nt picked them up in a while.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

Not quitting his day job yet... [SUPPORTER]
    I love the concept! I think there are a few things you could do to make this more interesting. First, although you've got a background it's very minimal and everything is happening on one plane of depth. Adding some close foreground elements and further distant elements would liven the picture up. Another possibility is that you could change the perspective up or down to make it more interesting.

Just some suggestions - feel free to take or leave them. As I said, I love the concept!
    My Site!!
    My DeviantART Profile!!
    Pummel: Middleweight
    Stats: Wins: 15 | Losses: 16 | KOs: 9

I've got rid of the bricks on the left I think they just looked a bit unnecessary. I'll see if I can find something else to liven up the picture, I don't want to do to much to the background on this as I want the focus to just really be on the characters. Do you think I should go ahead with the word balloon or leave it out?

Straight Outta a Comic Book [SUPPORTER] Symson's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    I feel this is a good start.

Please do not use word balloons.

The background is confusing. They are in a basement, that has curtains and a pile of bricks? But the viewer has no sense of why it's there. The background should help tell the story.

She's the only one casting a shadow and it's very oddly cropped, so you can't tell it is her shadow at first glance.
    Inviting 100 artists to celebrate Kirby and Eisner Centennial Tribute Books

Joining you in the ABCs of faith - Action, Belief and Confidence

Oh, the humanity, no word balloons, please. If you feel you need for text, run it under the panel.

You need something that suggests "Eisner." A decent caricature/portrait would help but, that only reads to those who know what Will looked like. Consider a studio in the bg with a Spirit page on the desk. The idea of the lonely artist studio as a cold, damp, dungeon is recognized the world over.

Ok I like smittys idea of the drawing desk in the background. I'll leave out the word ballon then, out of curiosity why is it bad to have a word balloon here? You both seem very against the idea

Straight Outta a Comic Book [SUPPORTER] Symson's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    No word balloons, because I say so!

But seriously, this is not a panel. It's a single illustration that has to tell it's story with the art. Pin-ups / display pages have to stand on their own.
    Inviting 100 artists to celebrate Kirby and Eisner Centennial Tribute Books

Joining you in the ABCs of faith - Action, Belief and Confidence

well ok then. I was playing around with a new idea this morning, i think im probably going to go with this instead

Monkey with Crayons [Moderator] Veritas71's Avatar
    I would ditch the open hand for a fist, and maybe try the 'Spirit' as smoke from a chimney.
    OPEN FOR COMMISSIONS!
    My Blog
    My DeviantART Page
    PUMMEL Statistics: 8 Wins - 3 Losses (6-KO's) 2 Month Champ