Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Kirby tribute wip

Kirby tribute wip

So heres the rough layout for my Kirby tribute piece

originally i was going for the layout below but i think the newer one will stand out more

Given the time frame consider sticking with the bottom image.

Your perspective, uniforms, helmets, caps are all suspect. You've drawn hands on top of drawings of guns but the guns and hands do not relate to one another. This sort of drawing is just what you need to do to learn but, again... time frame. With the bottom image all you need learn is to draw a circle in perspective and how to connect a shield to an arm.

Time frame? Isn't it the end of May we have to do these

Monkey with Crayons [Moderator] Veritas71's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by bedtime143 View Post
    Time frame? Isn't it the end of May we have to do these
    Yeah, both Kirby and Eisner deadlines are May 31st.
    OPEN FOR COMMISSIONS!
    My Blog
    My DeviantART Page
    PUMMEL Statistics: 8 Wins - 3 Losses (6-KO's) 2 Month Champ

End of May is the point.

You have a lot of cramming to do to pull off the studies necessary for this: Uniforms, helmets, caps, munitions, perspective...

If this was your gig, your final exam, you'd have an excuse to do nothing else for the month. If you have to work, go to school, cook your own meals, do your laundry, fix your car, mow the lawn, answer mail, see friends and family etc etc etc AND slip this into your schedule during your so called "free time"... That's a ton of study and practice in little to no time.

With the bottom image all you need to learn is the circle in perspective and how to attach it to an arm.

I see smitty, fortunately for me I've got a lot of free time at the moment, I was actually planning on getting this done by the end of the week tbh, I am struggling with my Eisner tribute though just can't come up with a pose I like for Lady Luck.

This is the character I wanted for the hypothetical second round of the tribute!

Both are great options, I like more the second one just for the pose, but the first is good too. Looks more like a cover for me, but it's obviously more complicated and need good references. If you got time and like more the first, try it. I know you'll find the help you need here to complete it the best possible (I'm receiving great C&C to complete my Eisner tribute).

Good luck!

ok so i redrew his shield arm, improved the guns and uniform

Monkey with Crayons [Moderator] Veritas71's Avatar
    I love the idea of the flag, but its placement makes no sense. I would either have another soldier carrying it or just do it as a background element rather than keeping it 'real'.
    Last edited by Veritas71; 04-30-2017 at 12:54 PM.
    OPEN FOR COMMISSIONS!
    My Blog
    My DeviantART Page
    PUMMEL Statistics: 8 Wins - 3 Losses (6-KO's) 2 Month Champ

Quote Originally Posted by bedtime143 View Post
    ok so i redrew his shield arm, improved the guns and uniform
    I love your stuff but, the good buddy code of the west is clear: when you see your buddy walking down the street with broccoli in his hair, toilet paper stuck to his teeth and his johnson hanging out, you're supposed to say something.

Dude, you got broccoli in your hair. You're getting dangerously close to Yomark territory here. Going over the wrong lines and forms over and over again just makes them darker; It doesn't correct mistakes.

Library hours don't exist in the 21st century. If you can get to PJ you have 24/7 access to all the visual ref you need from one of the most documented wars in history. Use it.

Officer: Fix the cap. The crown, while curved down at the sides, is circular. The bill goes from ear to ear. No tie, no shirt; jacket only. Consider an Iron Cross where you have the tie knot (now, he's not just a Nazi, he's a bad-ass Nazi)

Soldiers: Helmets, not Gilligan caps. Remember there's a head under the helmet. Draw that head first or you can't place the helmet. No giraffe necks, get the collar around the neck.

Cap: Fix the shield arm. Arm forward means the upper arm is now "shorter". Cut the upper arm in half. Attach the shield to the arm. If you don't want to use the long forms I showed above, use the short form here with an ellipse guide. The face of the shield is the open end of a tube in perspective. The tube's midline goes back to the VP of the tube, not the scene. That midline is your minor axis. Line up the minor axis points of your guide to the midline... shield. Remember that covering the arm and hand is what a shield does. We only see that much hand if the shield's ellipse is 0 (aka a flat line) ... now that I look at it, we shouldn't see the hand at all. I should've dropped the guide along the axis to cover the entire hand... d'oh!

Flag: Gotta vote with Veritas on this one. If it's a Nazi trench it should have a Nazi flag. An American trench would be full of Americans. The only place for an American flag here would be Cap's right hand