Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Using a ten point divider to create a perspective grid.

Using a ten point divider to create a perspective grid.

Hi,
    I'm new to this forum, so I hope I'm not doing it wrong...

I read about someone who used a ten point divider to create a perspective grid once. He didn't explain how, so I figured it out, and I thought it was a rather cool trick to create a perspective grid on a paper with vanishing points that are far away from the paper. These ten point dividers are expensive, but I hope anyone finds it useful.

Scot Robertson calls this a spacing tool or something and goes over it in his book on drawing. I've wanted to get one for use but haven't found them at an affordable price. Thanks for posting this
    I am always doing that which I cannot do, in order that I may learn how to do it. ~Pablo Picasso

my deviantart
    my sketchbook

Straight Outta a Comic Book [SUPPORTER] Symson's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Interesting. I never even heard of this tool. Thanks for posting.
    Inviting 100 artists to celebrate Kirby and Eisner Centennial Tribute Books

Joining you in the ABCs of faith - Action, Belief and Confidence

Quote Originally Posted by MLaw View Post
    Scot Robertson calls this a spacing tool or something and goes over it in his book on drawing. I've wanted to get one for use but haven't found them at an affordable price. Thanks for posting this
    Interesting, I need to get that book from Scot Robertson, thanks for the pointer! Yes, these ten point dividers are a bit expensive... Maybe we could design a cheaper model and crowd-fund it. It doesn't have to be *that* precise.

Quote Originally Posted by Symson View Post
    Interesting. I never even heard of this tool. Thanks for posting.
    I only saw it mentioned once somewhere. Thank you for your kind remark!

Loomis talks about it in Fun with a Pencil. But he just uses a ruler on each edge to mark off spacing. It's the same principle but this would be slightly faster.

Quote Originally Posted by Always Drawing View Post
    Loomis talks about it in Fun with a Pencil. But he just uses a ruler on each edge to mark off spacing. It's the same principle but this would be slightly faster.
    Heh, a ruler would definitely be the cheaper solution, you are right. Slightly slower and you have to do a lot of calculations to figure out where the marks should go.

Quote Originally Posted by ayalpinkus View Post
    Interesting, I need to get that book from Scot Robertson, thanks for the pointer! Yes, these ten point dividers are a bit expensive... Maybe we could design a cheaper model and crowd-fund it. It doesn't have to be *that* precise.
    I thought about designing one for 3d-printers.. someone might've already done it to be honest.
    I can't recommend that Scot Robertson book enough. He breaks down so many aspects of perspective. It's like the natural successor to something like Perspective Made Easy or similar.
    I am always doing that which I cannot do, in order that I may learn how to do it. ~Pablo Picasso

my deviantart
    my sketchbook

Ma-Ma's not the law... I'm the LAW! [SUPPORTER] 50%grey's Avatar
    You have to really scan Ebay everyday, but eventually someone will sell one cheaply.

But yeah they are pretty expensive. I got lucky,and found mine inside a drafting kit someone was selling at a garage sale.

One thing that is definitely worth the high investment is the sets of Ellipse templates. They come in packs of 3 sizes. Regular, Large, and Extra Large.

You will use those all the time, and will add that extra layer of professionalism to all your art.

Even someone like Eric Canete, or Sean Murphy who look like they pretty much wing everything take the time to use Ellipse templates on published work.
    Last edited by 50%grey; 04-21-2017 at 08:34 PM.
    “Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art.” ― Andy Warhol

I don't use grids like this often - but when you don't have the space for more subtle perspective, they're very handy. Nice idea. Never heard of a ten point divider, but would love to have one.

Using a ruler is a bit tedious, I admit. A quicker way (without a divider) would also be a drawing compass (using the lead and needle together) or just mark the increments out on the edge of a piece of paper each time. Still needs a ruler to subdivide, of course.