Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Batgirl

I need the explanation too, please! I've seen it twice this week (the other time on the Hela vs. Mjolnir thread) and I think I still don't understand that second line. Is it putting the foreshortening lenght as a parallel to the ground to better visualize it and then transport the measure with the third arc, just like humble has done in his sketch?

Quote Originally Posted by humble-tomato View Post
    but how do we decide the 2nd line's length ?
    By thinking like Spock and not like Khan. If you'll remember StarTrekII, Khan's undoing was his inability to think in 3D. It never occured to him to employ the Z axis.

With so many asking, excuse me if I just start at the beginning.

Top Row- Imagine a tube viewed from three different angles; perpendicular, 45%, and parallel to our view. The tube does not change length, it only appears to because of perspective (things get smaller as they recede) and foreshortening (perpendicular view-long; parallel view-short) Let's call them: T1, T2, T3.

Middle Row- From the side and top we see the hands-on-hip position pushes elbows back not out to the side. Therefore, in a front view, the arms are angled back and drawn with T2s not T1s.

Bottom Row- Rotate the body to a hard 3/4 (7/8?) view. What happened to the elbows? They rotated the same number of degrees. The front arm is now perpendicular to our view and thus drawn with T1s. The back arm (if we could see it) is parallel to our view and thus drawn with T3s. Note the rear arm being hidden is irrelevant. Draw it anyway! If you don't you'll never nail the hand.

Top Figure- When doing jumping jacks, arms perpendicular to view, elbows follow a circular path (blue); Arms are drawn with T1s. Hands-on-hips uses T2s, therefore the elbow follows an elliptical path (red)

What's an ellipse? A circle in perspective. The more perspective applied to the circle, the narrower the ellipse becomes.

Bottom Figure- All arms are T2s BUT the front arm approaches T1 (wider ellipse) the rear arm approaches T3 (thinner ellipse).

Note an elbow/humerus arc is the same thing. In the example on our left, I simply didn't bother drawing the humerus but, as mentioned above, just because you don't see it doesn't mean it's not there.

Where do you place the elbow, forearm, humerus arcs... wherever you darn well say so, you darn well say so-er you. Seriously, that's the rule in perspective; two arbitrary decisions with everything else carved in stone. I decide the red and blue arcs are true (and they are because I said so, spppluuurrrrb!) THEREFORE, where those arcs meet is the elbow (that's the carved in stone part)

How did I decide these things? By thinking 3D. The humerus is about 1.6 heads, the forearm about 1.3 heads, when viewed from the T1 position. At these proportions arms can be at the wrong angle but never the wrong length. As our view changes from T1 to T3 both measurements approach 0 heads.

What angle do you want? The farther back, the greater the angle, the narrower the ellipse (and more thrust the chest). Relaxed, the arms are approx 90 to each other. From a front view it would be 2 ellipsis of 45 or - 90 (ta dah). Rotate the figure so one arm uses a 55 ellipse and the other will use a 35 ellipse for a total of - 90 (math, gotta love it)

If I can mix my sci fi movie metaphors, "Use the force Luke." The point of learning to do this is so we don't have to do this. Commit this type of 3D thinking to your bones and forget about it. Thing is, you can't forget. Not if you really learned. It will always be back there.

3Dville cannot be some foreign destination achieved by plane, trains, and automobiles. 3D thinking has to be where you live, eat, sleep, play kissy-face.

Quote Originally Posted by humble-tomato View Post
    I was gonna fight for the breasts.. because I'm still a man..(albeit the middle aged one)
    But looking at them again, they do look too big for that build.
    Nooo...don't listen to the haters, there is no such thing as "too big" when it comes to breasts! xD

Fallen.

Open for commissions and work....PM me.

I love my boobs as much as the next guy (well, not my boobs; my boobs are flat, rock hard and covered with hair) but, if I drew Batman with his boobs dragging on the ground I suspect you'd be among the first to cry "too big!"

Thanks for the nice ,lenghy note Smitty. Although I had to read between the lines multiple times, especially with the numbers..I think I get better understanding now.. and that 90 degree total is a great tip to utilize and eyeball which arm will be shorter and how much..

Quote Originally Posted by Smitty View Post
    but, if I drew Batman with his boobs dragging on the ground
    and, Eeew!

Yes, thanks for the information and examples. Good stuff - you make it looks easy, and always something to work on.