Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Thing Pummel

Are you going to develop a painting off of it/paintover or are you shooting for a render as your submission? I've often wondered how a 3d entry would go exactly.. so this is interesting
    I am always doing that which I cannot do, in order that I may learn how to do it. ~Pablo Picasso

my deviantart
    my sketchbook

I find post 18 to be a more interesting angle.

Everyone has their own style. Ya gotta let people play if you want their best stuff. Feel free to tell me to go suck a rotten egg if you like but, I think you need to tweak the head.

I should've noticed earlier. Maybe it was the wireframe and lack thereof later but i'd:

Drop the brow
    Drop the nose
    Lift the mouth
    Shorten the chin

Quote Originally Posted by MLaw View Post
    Are you going to develop a painting off of it/paintover or are you shooting for a render as your submission? I've often wondered how a 3d entry would go exactly.. so this is interesting
    In an ideal world I would finish all the modeling and then apply a cell shader to the surfaces to simulate inking in the render. However, I did a lot of commission work this month and didn't budget my time we'll. And now I'm out of town until Monday night. So I'll most likely composite a few render passes and then do a paint over.

Smitty--

I like that angle too. I feel like it brings out the forms more and it makes him feel more massive. But it also feels....balanced I guess? That's not necessarily a bad thing, but I've been getting a lot of criticism from PJers lately about my work being too static. What do you think?

I purposely left the head to be the last thing to work on, so it won't be hard to tweak it when I get back from my trip. Thanks for the help!

Quote Originally Posted by battlewraith View Post
    However, I did a lot of commission work this month and didn't budget my time we'll.
    Dude, If you've done a lot of commissions this month I'd say you budgeted your time perfectly.

In the immortal words of Daffy Duck, "Money, money, money, money, money! Mine, mine, mine, mine, mine!"

Quote Originally Posted by battlewraith View Post
    Smitty--

I like that angle too. I feel like it brings out the forms more and it makes him feel more massive. But it also feels....balanced I guess? That's not necessarily a bad thing, but I've been getting a lot of criticism from PJers lately about my work being too static. What do you think?
    Interesting comment. I feel your pain. One of my very first fan letters on my first X-job (Fanfare #4) suggested (in a kind constructive way) that my work appeared "flat". Drat if he wasn't right. Since then, not a day, a drawing, or a line has gone by where that comment didn't ring in my head. While the comment haunts me, it does so in a Casper, the friendly ghost kinda' way. Like eating your veggies, it's good for you. If you feel the "static" comment was warranted, good on you for listening and keep the comment in your heart.

Back to the drawing. At first I thought it was simply the old "down shot vs up shot" theory. Down gives the viewer power; Up makes the viewer weak. But then I wondered if it might be my English speaking bias. Left to right reads easier, it makes more sense. I then tried flipping the post 15 image horizontally and... "Holy Molecular Twangulator, Reed" post 15 flopped is now my fav.

Straight Outta a Comic Book [SUPPORTER] Symson's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    The general public has only one idea of what balance is to art.

Balance is visual weight of elements in the composition. We - as artists - use balance to add stability, structure and emphasis an create dynamics.

There are three main types of balance.

1. Symmetrical balance which is formal (static) (this is what most people think of as balance.)

Equal distribution of visual weight.

It is a mirror image balance and doesn't have to be identical, it can be similar in number, color, shape or scale.

2. Asymmetrical balance which is informal

Dissimilar objects that have equal weight or equal eye attraction

Asymmetrical may appear as casual and less planned. However, it is very carefully planned. It also can create tension. It is the best way to create dynamic composition.

3. Radial Balance

All elements radiate or circle out from a common central point.
    Inviting 100 artists to celebrate Kirby and Eisner Centennial Tribute Books

Joining you in the ABCs of faith - Action, Belief and Confidence

Here's sadly all I have time for. Did hands head and feet in Photoshop. Thanks for the guidance everyone!