View Poll Results: Choose your favorite entry!

Voters
6. You may not vote on this poll
  • Zepster - The Mayflower

2 33.33%
  • MisterPants - Y/Plato's Wanderers

1 16.67%
  • Jaycy - The Sword

0 0%
  • jamesdcreviston - MARSHAL LAW

0 0%
  • FreshNightmare - "Animals"

0 0%
  • Shaun - Life Events

3 50.00%
  • Chris2.0 - Utopia/Dystopia

0 0%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Writing Contest #112 - Dystopia voting thread

[SUPPORTER]
    Blog Entries

Writing Contest #112 - Dystopia voting thread

Hi all,

The poll's up - so vote away, poll will remain open for 6 days. Winner gets to choose the theme for the next one, and we'll all be one writing contest closer to the anthology!

Then same old, same old - no voting for yourself, no buddy-voting, etc...

And if you want - feel free to leave a comment or final crit...

Neophyte
    This round was great! Let’s keep it going and keep me on my game. You all are making me a better writer!

Great entries all around. Awesome turnout too! All credit goes to Chris2.0 for getting this thing back up and running.

I struggle a bit with where to throw my vote on this one. Some really creative ideas in the bunch so I let execution and vision decide my vote.

I was really drawn to Zepster's story Mayflower because I don't think I've really seen dystopia portrayed in space. Also the execution was first rate. I struggled with the ending, the old one was harsh and the new one lacks a punch, but overall this was a great entry.

Is this only for the ones who have participated on the contest or everyone that read them could vote? Anyway, is difficult to choose only one!

Quote Originally Posted by Almayer View Post
    Is this only for the ones who have participated on the contest or everyone that read them could vote? Anyway, is difficult to choose only one!
    All can vote! I've always wished we got more artists reading and voting since you are the people we are writing for.

Ok, my vote then goes to The Mayflower. I'll only say that is the one that I envisioned better and even imagined it as a movie, and the end is very interesting. Hope jamesdcreviston doesn't mind, I'll be working on his Marshall Law story very soon!

Neophyte
    @Almayer, not offended I saw Life Events as a film in my head. Great art deserves to be noticed and these writers brought great art to the forum.

[SUPPORTER]
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Shaun View Post
    All can vote! I've always wished we got more artists reading and voting since you are the people we are writing for.
    I agree... But yeah, but even I must admin - it's pretty boring reading pages and pages of script... (Especially mine that's longer than most!)

So just another reason for us to get the art for our best ones done and either post these online, or printed in an anthology - so that "The Editing Powers That Be" can see them and send some work (y)our way?

@Shaun & everyone - do you think it might be a good idea that every writer should also write a one page synopsis for their story, and post this either in the same thread, or a different one where the artists might see it? Might have more people reading a single page than 5 pages of script? But then again - the script must be formatted correctly as well then - no use having a good idea & overall plot, but then the script is not difficult to read or full of typos?

(As part of submissions/pitching would be in any case to have a one page story synopsis of your story, so it might be worthwhile to try this at least?)

And now for the really difficult part - choosing a favorite!

@Shaun & everyone - do you think it might be a good idea that every writer should also write a one page synopsis for their story, and post this either in the same thread, or a different one where the artists might see it? Might have more people reading a single page than 5 pages of script? But then again - the script must be formatted correctly as well then - no use having a good idea & overall plot, but then the script is not difficult to read or full of typos?
    When we were doing the Sequential Manias the moderator asked us to do this as a way for artists to choose the scripts that appealed to them without reading everything. This is also good for the writer because it forces us to get comfortable writing summaries and sometimes in dumbing down the story we realize mistakes.

However one page synopsis is way too long in my opinion. I would suggest two or three sentences as the limit. It should be like a TV Guide blurb for your story, which gives the potential reader an idea of the setting, genre, and overall story idea. Writing a one page synopsis of a five page script would basically be the whole story. And I fear after reading a whole page detailing the story a lot of people wouldn't bother to read the actual script.

Neophyte
    Like a logline? Or maybe a little extra?