Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 38

Thread: Comics from Writing Contests for anthology

  1. #21
    Neophyte
    Join Date
    Feb 2017
    Location
    Los Angeles, CA
    Posts
    114
    @Chris 2.0 who runs Penciljack? Who should we be getting approval and assistance from?

    I agree that we need to advertise in the artist section and give them a chance to draw and build a comic with us. Maybe this can become an annual thing for Penciljack?

    For now I think Digital has to be the way to go. We can get it made, put it on Comixology, a portion of sales can go to Penciljack, a portion to the artists and a portion to the writers (I’m thinking 10/70/30 - PJ/A/W) since we all know art takes longer than writing.

    "One idea I had - if some of the indie published PJ creators want to - they can take a 3-10 page (self-contained) excerpt from their already (or to-be published) comic and add it to the anthology? Here's hoping the interest will also give their work a bit more promotion/marketing?”

    That is a great idea and maybe in oder to promote single works like this they can have their artist draw a script? That way they get space and promotion and we get some more scripts drawn. I know we have more scripts than work.

    Just ideas.

  2. #22
    a portion of sales can go to Penciljack, a portion to the artists and a portion to the writers (I’m thinking 10/70/30 - PJ/A/W)
    I agree with this but for the math to work let's call it 10/70/20?

  3. #23
    [SUPPORTER]
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    South Africa
    Posts
    383
    Blog Entries
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by Shaun View Post
    I agree with this 100%. If all the scripts were created by and for pencil jack members and same with the art it only makes sense for PJ to be in the branding of this book. Honestly that's the only thing that's going to tie together really different themes, art, etc.
    Quote Originally Posted by jamesdcreviston View Post
    I would be best to do a digital comic for now. At some point we could print the anthology. We could do digital for almost nothing and get it posted on Comixology.
    Quote Originally Posted by Shaun View Post
    That would be awesome! We will keep you in the loop on our progress. Hopefully we can get this off the ground.
    Cool ideas all around...

    From what I know the idea of a PJ anthology has surfaced quite a few times here on the boards, but AFAIK, it was not finished, but I might be mistaken... PJ was started before my time here, but I think we could approach the first member?

    How about this - to show we're really keen on doing this - how about we upload at least one/more stories to an image hosting site, and then link to it back here. That's what I'd call the $0 option. But of course, the stories would need to be at least penciled, inked and lettered. Colored would be pretty cool too, if we can swing it. Then once we have one/a few stories done, let's take this to PJ, and get their OK? As otherwise it might just seem like another round of wishful thinking? Or what do you all think?

    Then for a worst case scenario, if they don't go for it, then at least we didn't spend too much time and money getting a site up and running, prepping the pages for digital publication, etc? And as a small bonus, what's keeping us from putting the completed mini-comic on ComiXology (as quite a few people suggested), but just under our own creative/writer collective name? And if we have more than 20 pages, slap a $1 price on it, so that people can support this initiative by buying this? And maybe then PJ might want to be involved in an expended edition or the follow-up one? And/or we could approach Kickstarter with this 20-page comic (we only need 4 stories!), and ask for $$$ to complete the rest of the pages?

    Then for profit sharing - if PJ is going to promote this, then we need to give them more than 10%, but let's cross that bridge when we get to it? And maybe pay the whole creative team whatever is left over, and then the team decides who gets what?

    @Shaun, thanks for the list - that's 7 comics already in various state of completion, and Joe Dredd indicated he'd get his done as well, and I'm also committed to submit one story at least. So almost ten 5-pagers for the site/mini-comic - and sure we'd be able to get more as well! Even if just half of the stories are completed, then we already have 25 pages for the mini-comic!
    Last edited by Chris2.0; 04-12-2017 at 03:54 PM.

  4. #24
    I see very good ideas on the part of everyone, my feeling is the project needs a voting on the main ideas and see which option convince the potential participants more. The idea of ​​uploading the anthology at first to Comixology seems to me very good, as do the kickstarter as well, but perhaps is more prudent to do the latter once you see how the anthology works in Comixology.

    I see a very good idea to place at zero cost the stories that could go on the anthology (always with the authors' ok) so that others are encouraged to participate and to enhance enthusiasm.

    I can only could help doing inks to penciled pages if needed. The possibility of adding new stories (not drawn before the idea of the anthology) will be considered, as suggested by jamesdcreviston, or not? With more stories, more likely to increase the quality of what is finally selected.

    Quote Originally Posted by jamesdcreviston View Post
    I agree that we need to advertise in the artist section and give them a chance to draw and build a comic with us. Maybe this can become an annual thing for Penciljack?

  5. #25
    Neophyte
    Join Date
    Feb 2017
    Location
    Los Angeles, CA
    Posts
    114
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris2.0 View Post
    Cool ideas all around...

    From what I know the idea of a PJ anthology has surfaced quite a few times here on the boards, but AFAIK, it was not finished, but I might be mistaken... PJ was started before my time here, but I think we could approach the first member?

    How about this - to show we're really keen on doing this - how about we upload at least one/more stories to an image hosting site, and then link to it back here. That's what I'd call the $0 option. But of course, the stories would need to be at least penciled, inked and lettered. Colored would be pretty cool too, if we can swing it. Then once we have one/a few stories done, let's take this to PJ, and get their OK? As otherwise it might just seem like another round of wishful thinking? Or what do you all think?

    Then for a worst case scenario, if they don't go for it, then at least we didn't spend too much time and money getting a site up and running, prepping the pages for digital publication, etc? And as a small bonus, what's keeping us from putting the completed mini-comic on ComiXology (as quite a few people suggested), but just under our own creative/writer collective name? And if we have more than 20 pages, slap a $1 price on it, so that people can support this initiative by buying this? And maybe then PJ might want to be involved in an expended edition or the follow-up one? And/or we could approach Kickstarter with this 20-page comic (we only need 4 stories!), and ask for $$$ to complete the rest of the pages?

    Then for profit sharing - if PJ is going to promote this, then we need to give them more than 10%, but let's cross that bridge when we get to it? And maybe pay the whole creative team whatever is left over, and then the team decides who gets what?

    @Shaun, thanks for the list - that's 7 comics already in various state of completion, and Joe Dredd indicated he'd get his done as well, and I'm also committed to submit one story at least. So almost ten 5-pagers for the site/mini-comic - and sure we'd be able to get more as well! Even if just half of the stories are completed, then we already have 25 pages for the mini-comic!
    If you want to do a free site, why not put it up a Patreon where we can contribute and then have people pay a monthly fee for our content which could go back to Penciljack or distributed to the artist and writers each month. This would encourage writers and artists. Once we have enough those same followers could help us on Kickstarter to print a complete volume of all the comics over the year.

  6. #26
    [SUPPORTER]
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    South Africa
    Posts
    383
    Blog Entries
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by Almayer View Post
    The possibility of adding new stories (not drawn before the idea of the anthology) will be considered, as suggested by jamesdcreviston, or not? With more stories, more likely to increase the quality of what is finally selected.
    Quote Originally Posted by jamesdcreviston View Post
    If you want to do a free site, why not put it up a Patreon where we can contribute and then have people pay a monthly fee for our content which could go back to Penciljack or distributed to the artist and writers each month. This would encourage writers and artists. Once we have enough those same followers could help us on Kickstarter to print a complete volume of all the comics over the year.
    Then @Almayer - yip - judging by other responses as well - I'd say any script posted in a writing contest is fair game & should be allowed. And the best part of having more stories? Not only will it fill up the anthology - but if we really have more than enough, then we'll have to go into a second round of voting maybe? To see which stories, from all the comics on the site, will be printed in the anthology? This second round will definately bring more attention to the anthology, and everyone involved! But that's only if we get something like 200 pages for our +/- 100 page planned anthology, so let's get more people involved!

    Good plan @jamesdcreviston - sounds like some/all of us would need to do some research on Patreon to see how best to implement this? Wouldn't it be great that if we get enough support, then the money raised might be enough to have the best voted story drawn? And/or inked/colored/lettered as well? Now that would be really cool motivation to get involved!

    I've listened to part of one of the ComixLaunch podcasts where they talked about Patreon, and we'd need some rewards for the people pledging? Anybody has an idea what to give? Or let's brainstorm to see if we can come up with some good perks? And will be good exercise for the eventual Kickstarter as well, just as you said!

  7. #27
    The rewards can be: the comic book itself, a pdf, character sketches, scripts and, maybe, something story-related.

    We should at least get 2-4 stories and publish them for free to test the waters and the system. We can ask for whatever scripts are easier for artists to work with and the submissions don't have to be from the contests. Just 'something our creative teams did'.

    The problem, in my opinion, will be getting to pencil, ink and letter in an 'organized and timely fashion'.

  8. #28
    Neophyte
    Join Date
    Feb 2017
    Location
    Los Angeles, CA
    Posts
    114
    Quote Originally Posted by Shaun View Post
    I agree with this but for the math to work let's call it 10/70/20?
    HAHAHA! Yes 10/70/20 so sorry. I guess I’m not part of the accounting team.

  9. #29
    I've also got a Dystopia script that I didn't get in before the deadline. If we go ahead with this, I would like to get that one drawn as well. So I could do "Masks" and "Dystopia".

  10. #30
    [SUPPORTER]
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    South Africa
    Posts
    383
    Blog Entries
    1
    Hi Joe Dredd, why don't you upload your take on Dystopia as well, sure it would be a cool story...

    Then @LionWolfe - good call on the rewards... And yes - think after some time just limiting the entries to the writing contest would be "limiting" as well. So in future, any writer, paired with any artist should be able to get into future anthologies... But yeah, let's just get this one off the ground first!
    Yup, sounds like we would need a "council of the wise" to do some project management to avoid delays. Maybe in a volunteer capacity, say for 3-12 months at a time? Just to bring 1 (or 2?) anthologies to completion, then the baton can be passed on?

    OK, now to see how to upload my first story's pencils to IMGR & link it back here, then to get it inked, colored and lettered! Might just post the updated script on the forum as well - pretty sure I need to fine-tune the dialogue & captions before this is lettered!

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •