Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Comics from Writing Contests for anthology

[SUPPORTER]
    Blog Entries

Comics from Writing Contests for anthology

Hi all,

As suggested by the other forumers, breaking this into its own thread - the quotes below just to get everyone up to speed.

So if you've ever had the comic art done for any of your entries for a writing contest (recent or otherwise), leave a link to the art in your post below. But before we go too much further, remember you'd need to get the OK from the artist/penciler/inker/etc if they're OK with having their work appear online and most probably printed in an anthology that will use Kickstarter to crowdfund printing costs. (Speaking of KS - has anybody here done one/more, or know of any good resources other than Tyler James' ComixLaunch podcasts to study for the first one?)

And for now let's not assume we'll automatically get the blessing from the Powers That Be here at PJ to slap an official PJ logo on this thing - let's keep this informal and tighten up any decisions as we go along.

But really want to get something done this year - would love to have a printed comic by the end of the with all our names on it!

Also - maybe it'll be a good idea to push some of the profits (as soon as we see them) back into PJ, just to help cover some hosting/other costs here as well, since we'll be using the forum to coordinate...

Then also feel free to leave your questions and comments, as well as if you feel you'd like to volunteer for any role in this collective? (We'd need people to help with planning, editing, lettering, coloring, and of course pencils and inks. But also more IT-related skills like setting up a site, updating this every week. And more general things again like blogging, promoting on Twitter/Fb & other social networks.) Sure I missed a couple of positions - in effect we'd need to jumpstart an informal publishing collective that will be able to help this project to completion. And then hand over to the next group of volunteers... And finally - would need to write up some ground rules for conduct/rights/responsibilities before we go down too far on this, just to make sure everyone is on the same page on this.

Cheers

Quote Originally Posted by Chris2.0 View Post

Speaking of art - Shaun & all other writers - how about you post links to the art any/all of you had gotten done for any of your stories? And then we see if we don't have enough content for a short anthology? Pretty sure we'd not be able to market it as a PJ anthology, but if most of the writers (and artists) are from here, then at least we can give it a shout out on here? And then maybe do a small kickstarter to get the best stories printed?

That'll beat giving editors one of your scripts to read!
    Quote Originally Posted by MisterPants View Post
    I think an anthology is an awesome idea! I'd love to be in on that. I was going to rework mine this weekend and try and get the final version posted by Monday. But regardless of the outcome, I really want to see what I can make of it and maybe expand it into something bigger. You know, first things first though, I gotta nail down the five pages. But yeah I actually have a tiny bit of scratch for once in my life so I was thinking of asking one of the talented artists here if they could help.
    Quote Originally Posted by Almayer View Post
    Hey, but in all these years of penciljack an anthology made by artists and writers from this forum has never been done? It must be. I know it'd be hard to organize, but should be done. With stories already drawn and adding new ones. Isn't collaboration between writers and artist something usual here?

If this contest is #112 there must be some stories already drawn and a great number of other interesting ones to be done. I'd love to see some of the ones that have been made through the years.
    Quote Originally Posted by Shaun View Post
    As the resident old timer on PJ (how the $@%^ did that happen?!) I should speak to this. There have been numerous stories from Penciljackers drawn in my time, which is only the last decade. There were probably more in the few years between before PJ's inception and my arrival. There was even a time when writer's held competitions and the winner would be drawn by all the artists, and then the artists would vote on the best interpretation of the script. And there was also talk of a PJ anthology but it never got past the discussion stage. So in short, yes, plenty of art exists from PJ scripts.

The challenge will be tracking down those writers/artists to get the work and necessary permissions. But I love the idea and will happily offer the work I've been involved with and reach out to the artist to get consent. Good idea, Chris!
    Quote Originally Posted by jamesdcreviston View Post
    I am 100% into that idea. I am not the best writer but I would love to have some of my writings actually become comic pages. I would happily throw in some funds into a KickStarter.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaycy View Post
    I would love to do an anthology book short! I've never had any of my scripts drawn out yet but if you need any short stories I'm your guy.
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris2.0 View Post
    Hiya Shaun & Almayer - good points all around.

Maybe we should do this in a few phases? First phase is to just take the writers on the forum now, and see what's been done recently, and get the OK from the artists to take this further? The approval is key I think, don't want to have someone coming back later and saying that they don't want their writing/art to appear in the anthology when it's being printed? This happened to the first anthology I was involved with - some of the people said their art/writing no longer reflects what they are doing now, so that is the reason this was never reprinted, and never released on Comixology... Sigh. So we would need approval, and preferably a contract of sorts that will allow the publishing group (all of us) to continue hosting and selling/reprinting this?

Which brings us to the next point - hopefully this will make some money in the long run - so we would need to think about sharing profit with the contributors. Starting from the artists, to the inkers,colorists, letterers and not forgetting us, the writers... And paying for hosting/any admin/other fees. What about profit share of 70% of all revenue goes to the creative team after all costs have been subtracted? And 30% to the publishing group for advertising, etc? And this applies to online as well?

Second phase would be to track down all previous art that's been done, and get approval to collect these? Maybe do this for every year, going back until the founding of PJ? Bit think that would be a big undertaking to contact everyone and get their approvals...

Maybe we should break out the discussions regarding this to a separate thread? And then also talk about just how we're going to handle the selection process of which stories get into the anthology? As I want this to be as close to pro-level as possible. We're already upping our writing game by taking part in these contests, but the scripts need to be in the same level as any work done by the big publishers/top quality indie publishers. So how about a 2-step process - we collect all the art that we have on a thread on PJ (or even a separate site), and then we have a competition to choose the best 10-20 stories to go into the printed anthology? That way we can have all the stories up to get more exposure for the writer and artist, but also have some method where only the best stories makes it to the anthology? Or am I overthinking this? (And the competition will also bring some publicity I'm sure for all involved.)

Oh yeah - jamesdcreviston - Kickstarter is the ideal way to get this funded - and with all the writers and artists involved spreading news about this, I'm pretty sure this will get funded. And another thing - with Kickstarter still is not supporting the country I'm in, someone from the US or UK might be better to run the Kickstarter? Actually we need to also discuss the division of labor in general - to make sure this does continue until done. And that no one burns out. So if we can have volunteers for a certain time period to run with their section, and then they can hand over to the next person when the first anthology is done if they want to? Thinking we need a council to run this thing, and then people with social media skills to handle promotion/marketing? Then someone/a few people with the IT background to put up a site for this? Then we have to talk about getting people to letter the work? Nothing like bad lettering to bring down a comic. And we need good quality control checking - don't want a typo or issue with coloring/lettering to mess up a story or the whole anthology?
    Quote Originally Posted by Almayer View Post
    I absolutely agree with what you say Chris. I know I'm new here, and maybe my opinion is not the most authorized, but I think that if this kind of collaborations was done in the past it must return! It's what gives real sense to the existence of this forums besides the C&C! I only could help by drawing an story written by any of you guys (I'm talking with two of you right now), and expect to be selected for the Anthology if I reach the level. But I absolutely support the initiative.

I am down to proofread and help with the site and the blog! Once I am good enough, I will submit a few of my own scripts.

This is a genuinely great idea! So excited to get cracking on this.

Question: Will the anthology have a theme like horror, science fiction, etc? Should there be one so the writers have something to focus on?

[SUPPORTER]
    Blog Entries
    Cool, thanks for the inputs & questions.

@Lionwolfe
    Yeah, we would need all sorts of help to get this going! Feel free to enter the monthly writing contests - going to read your "Return From Insanity" script as soon as can make some time...

@Jaycy
    Good to hear! A theme would be a good idea - and the tighter the theme, the better the anthology. At least that's the advice on the Business of Art podcast - need to finish listening to their anthologies episodes.
    But the only thing is - the writing contests change every month when the winner decides on the next theme.

So let's discuss whether to see if we can have an overarching theme for the year, or just let the first one be the smorgasbord of themes that PJ writing contests have been up to now?

So if we're aiming for around 100 pages, that'll be around ten to twenty 5-10 page stories. That's a lot, especially since there's effectively only 7.5 months left of the year. But we all would need to see how much material is available in the back-log? Then we serialize these online, and then have a selection committee & popular vote by the end of Oct/Nov to choose the stories going into the printed anthology?

While my writing is decent, I still need to learn how to properly apply it to comic scripts and how to format those correctly. I'll also update the script within a few days or a week, as soon as I rewrite it

May I suggest looking at Dystopia first, since it's the most recent and just to finish it off, and them going back, one contest by one until what we see doesn't reflect the creators' styles/philosophies any more?

Neophyte
    I don’t think we need a theme except community. If anything this anthology should show what we do here at Penciljack as a community. We should start by asking for writers, letterers and inkers if they want to take part. If nothing else this project will help us all have samples for growing our career. I am self funding my first comic and I will tell you its not easy or cheap the would give everyone something tangible and maybe even a good present for your dad for Father's day.

[SUPPORTER]
    Blog Entries
    Checking quickly, it looks like I have the following stories penciled that appeared in the contests:

http://www.penciljack.com/forum/show...=1#post1354706

http://www.penciljack.com/forum/show...=1#post1291271

Pretty sure I had at least one more, but just can't seem to find the art for this... (Was for this one - http://www.penciljack.com/forum/show...=1#post1295674 )

Then onto some business-related questions...
    1. When we start getting a mailing list together before the Kickstarter, who will be the caretaker for this if someone leaves? Will the person leaving get a shout-out on the mails for the people on the mailing list to join his/her own one, or what?
    2. What is the $0 option for hosting comics? Or just paste 'em on IMGUR and link to these? Or do we get our own domain, hosting, ComicPress installation, etc?
    3. What do we call this writer's collective wanting to publish an anthology? And would it really be limited to only writers?

I'm a little confused, my understanding was this was an anthology for previously created comic book pages created by writers and artists from Pencil Jack? Are we soliciting new scripts and trying to find artists to draw them? Because that's going to be a more time intensive project. Part of the reason it's not super common for PJ scripts to get drawn is that artist like to (and should!) get paid.

In my understanding the anthology should be for previously created stories. I hinted previously that new collaborations made during the next few months should be eligible too (that could give me a chance), but that will surely make the process get slower. That, or take a bit more time to let more stories be drawn. I really think the fairest is to do it from stories already done. And if it goes well, then plan more initiatives like this.

Neophyte
    Quote Originally Posted by Shaun View Post
    I'm a little confused, my understanding was this was an anthology for previously created comic book pages created by writers and artists from Pencil Jack? Are we soliciting new scripts and trying to find artists to draw them? Because that's going to be a more time intensive project. Part of the reason it's not super common for PJ scripts to get drawn is that artist like to (and should!) get paid.

Yes it should be for already drawn stuff but for a good anthology you are going to need 80-100 pages since all of these are 4-5 page stories. Do we have enough for an anthology? Thats what we need to know.

If we can get a good collection we can have something put together pretty easily.