Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Bald Chick (NSFW)

Bald Chick (NSFW)

Monkey with Crayons [Moderator] Veritas71's Avatar
    What happened to working with cylinders to give volume to your figures? This a HUGE step backwards.
    OPEN FOR COMMISSIONS!
    My Blog
    My DeviantART Page
    PUMMEL Statistics: 8 Wins - 3 Losses (6-KO's) 2 Month Champ

and………Thank you for THAT!

PUMMEL Mod [SUPPORTER]
    [Moderator]
    Far hip and far leg are off. V mentioned it, and i'd be good to break this down to its basic shapes.
    My Deviant Art page
    My PUMMEL stats
    PUMMEL stats: 61 wins | 58 losses | 31 KOs
    2 Time Heavyweight Champion
    Light Heavyweight Commissioner

Monkey with Crayons [Moderator] Veritas71's Avatar
    Sorry if what I said is rough, but you need to hear the truth. Go back to the basics. Retrain your brain and your art will get better. You're like an addict, you know it's wrong, but you do it anyway.
    OPEN FOR COMMISSIONS!
    My Blog
    My DeviantART Page
    PUMMEL Statistics: 8 Wins - 3 Losses (6-KO's) 2 Month Champ

Yo, dude, when last we met you told us you understood proportions, head units, rulers and how to use them and now you show us... this...

How much effort does it take to mark off 8 head units? All the shading, noodling, and detail in the world won't save grotesque, deformed, disproportioned shapes.

There are scores of artists who've made careers out of ugliness: S Clay Wilson, Basil Wolverton, Big Daddy Roth... If ugliness is the goal, SELL IT. If natural, attractive, balanced shapes are the goal, SELL THAT. But, quit hanging out in no-man's-land.

I feel like the last thread you did was to placate us. Sorry to be brutal but I see no willingness to learn or improve.

To amplify what smitty said at the end, embrace your style. No one draws like you do. You don't seem to want to learn to draw "correct" figures, so don't. But you need direction, should you decide to embrace whatever darkness drives this style. You need to learn how to add clothing, shadows, a world in which to put your figures.

Stop working on anatomy and figure drawing if you don't want to stray from what you do. Start putting your figures in clothes and in a world and embrace the style. It is not my cup of tea at all, but honestly you are one of the most distinctive styles on PJ

On the one hand, I'm sorry that I frustrate you guys by the way I do things. On the other hand, I want to convey that I just have to do things the way I do them.

I always have a hard time emotionally taking in what you guys say, the WAY you say it (too thin-skinned, I guess).

I'd had a whole different response, expressing MY frustration, and I ran it by my best friend for HIS perspective, before posting it here. I sent it to him in an e-mail. He called me up and we had a long talk about it.

He said two things that stuck with me: First, that he felt you guys were sincerely trying to help me. And secondly, that he and I had both had a major obstacle to overcome, and that was that we both started out by drawing mostly from our heads.

That helped put things into perspective for me.

I also want to say that I really AM putting all my hopes of putting all your advice into practice, by taking that figure drawing course……again: that just seems to be the way that I need to do things.

So, bottom line: first - Thank you for all your efforts over the years in trying to help me, and second - I hope you'll keep looking, even considering what I've said about how I feel I have to do things.

Yomark - we've all heard this song and dance. You've heard our reply to it. Always Drawing has a point though.. stop drawing nebulous lone figures. Once you start trying to put your characters into some sort of world other than a piece of paper background.. you'll realize that being able to regurgitate anatomy back out the way you think it should be.. was never the point. Just drawing a figure standing there is what it is.. The techniques you're saying you'll not be touching are not there for just drawing strange flat 2-dimensional boring and oddly proportioned people. They are for taking whatever figures you're going to draw and dropping them into a story. Having them do actions that are part of a narrative and not just some disconnected unnatural pose.. it will force you to come to grips with building your characters through a more thought out and reasoned course of action.

I personally think you should be practicing perspective, still life, and environment drawing now or aping off of an artist that has a handle on the things you are so very very bad at.

Personally, I might look at your stuff but I'm done trying to give you feedback on it. It's like that one guy you were friends with that became an alcoholic and every time you see them they want advice on what to do.. and the whole thing plays out exactly the same every time. Your feelings are what is getting in your way. Look.. if you see this drawing and all of your others and think "HOLY SHIT I REALLY NAILED IT!!!!!!" then there's nothing left to be said.
    I am always doing that which I cannot do, in order that I may learn how to do it. ~Pablo Picasso

my deviantart
    my sketchbook

Okay. I was afraid I'd get that kind of reaction. I thought long and hard about my response, and, as I'd said, I even bounced it off of my friend. It was carefully considered. So if you're going to dismiss it as a "song and dance", well, THAT'S one of the problems I have with how you respond to me.

And no, I don't think I really nailed it, usually not EVER. There ARE times when I've warmed up enough, and get to a point that seems to ME that I'm drawing better (or: at least at the "peak" of my skills) than I do on average. I consider myself to be on a journey.

I get your point about drawing in environments and story-telling. I won't try to justify my procedure, but I will say that I'm not yet comfortable enough with the figure to do that. Every time I try (and I haven't posted any of those disasters), I fail miserably.

If you don't want to look at my posts or engage me, then don't. If it's toxic for you, it would be bad to do so……just as for a time it was toxic for ME to get the feedback I was getting here (I would actually stop drawing for a few days after such a time), which is why I closed my account before.