Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Arachnidia- Sequentials for Pummel

Arachnidia- Sequentials for Pummel

So this is my first jab at sequentials, I had an attempt a couple years back with a friend but other than that this is the only sequential page I've ever done :/

I was trying to get a buddy to write a script for the concept of this character a kind of jokey spider based heroine, but he bailed on me so i penned this last night and did this today. Any thoughts for improvement?

I also included the thumbs for the page as well as a cover if I have time. I'm aiming for 3 pages.

Disneyfied T&A
    My deviantart

Lol, funny script! I looked at the page first, and was like ok... gross but with the captions all makes sense, love the faces! Good thing we're getting some sequentials, with all the eisner and kirby tributes! Looking forward to your entry!
    "Censorship is legal vandalization of art" - Urban Dictionary
    |LHW Bottomfeeder|
    PJ Sketchblog
    petethacreepofficial

Redmond, Oregon/ also known as Central Oregon
    I'm with Pete...You got Skills...
    Keep that Pencil Busy!

Thanks guys, I'll take it that its pretty much working. I'm just kind of bumbling along, not sure if this is how your supposed to do it.

Just a few minor tweaks and cleaning up ready for inking, I fixed the top left panel layout, really wasnt happy with it. I'm still not happy with the top right panel, but time is getting on.

Disneyfied T&A
    My deviantart

Flip your panel 1. Also, panel 8, why is the thumb wrapped like that instead of gripping the cup?
    I am always doing that which I cannot do, in order that I may learn how to do it. ~Pablo Picasso

my deviantart
    my sketchbook

Why should he flip panel 1? He broke the 180 rule, but kept the characters on the same side on panel 2, it works for me.
    Middlweight | W:6 L:0 KOs:4 | Streetfights: W:2 L:0 kOs:1
    LightHeavies | W:7| L :3 KOs: ​6
    http://nabisga.deviantart.com/gallery/

Quote Originally Posted by Josem View Post
    Why should he flip panel 1? He broke the 180 rule, but kept the characters on the same side on panel 2, it works for me.
    Ah now that I look at panel 2 more closely, that guy is super close to the panel border. As to the flip, I'll let Seithe stew on how to approach that.
    I am always doing that which I cannot do, in order that I may learn how to do it. ~Pablo Picasso

my deviantart
    my sketchbook

It's a huge cup, capable of holding a foot long sub, it looked really uncomfortable to have her thumb around the cup.

Also, what's the 180 rule? I guess is don't flip your characters 180degrees from panel to panel?
    Disneyfied T&A
    My deviantart

Quote Originally Posted by Seithe View Post
    It's a huge cup, capable of holding a foot long sub, it looked really uncomfortable to have her thumb around the cup.

Also, what's the 180 rule? I guess is don't flip your characters 180degrees from panel to panel?
    The problem I have is, the sub is drawn into the cup.. sure.. but that cup is still not big.. as her hand is literally right there as a unit of measure... so the cup doesn't look as big as you're intending. EDIT: Also, literally in the next panel you don't have her thumb on that side.. you have it around the cup as a normal cup.

180 rule is a thing that started in cinema and was adopted in comics at least 10 years ago. It's an imaginary plane that the camera isn't supposed to pass to maintain visual continuity. If you knock in a quick and dirty overhead sketch of the scene/camera placement, the camera shouldn't traverse past that. It also tends to be broken down in simplest terms to if a character starts on the left keep them on the left. The whole point of it is to maintain spacial relationships.

Ultimately it's your call. It looks weird to me. Josem says it looks okay to him... other opinions will vary. I would personally flip the first and redo the second.. but that's just me.

my deviantart
    my sketchbook

I didn't try flipping it in the end, I thought that bit looked ok. i did move her hand about on the bottom left panel, but its still the size of the cup that means you cant see both finders and thumb around it.

Here are the inks and letters. There are probably spelling mistakes as I'm pretty stupid in that regard.

if I have time I'll try and colour it, but only 2 more weeks and 2 more pages needed. Yelp!
    Disneyfied T&A
    My deviantart