Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Mole Man Sketch (For Kirby 100)

PUMMEL Mod [SUPPORTER]
    [Moderator]
    Perspective Made Easy? Sounds perfect for me.

Nice piece, man.
    My Deviant Art page
    My PUMMEL stats
    PUMMEL stats: 61 wins | 58 losses | 31 KOs
    2 Time Heavyweight Champion
    Light Heavyweight Commissioner

Quote Originally Posted by Juggertha View Post
    Perspective Made Easy? Sounds perfect for me.

Nice piece, man.
    Yah Smitty suggests it at least every other crit xD but its great! I ordered it from my friendly local bookstore had it in a few days and its been great. it starts off super simple and builds on that providing some really solid foundation in perspective. and each chapter ends with some excercises to practice what you learned. Strongly suggested by me as well, now!

Thanks! Can't wait to finish it!

Watch your lighting. The top of the snout says top light, the open mouth says bottom light. Either is cool but, ya gotta choose.

Quote Originally Posted by Smitty View Post
    Watch your lighting. The top of the snout says top light, the open mouth says bottom light. Either is cool but, ya gotta choose.
    Thanks Smitty! Will begin rectifying that, i think im gonna go light top, I wanna try to light Mole Man abit to use the contrast to set the composition of the piece (as well as playing some things to frame him when i move to the background.

With doing light at the top, how would you (or anyone else obv this is replying to Smitty's post but not just for him xD) suggest droping shadows on the mouth, if i do a full solid black i feel like you'll lose the form. I just tried doing a solid black in the throat/mouth/maw of giganto and it didnt look great, any suggestions?

BEYOND THAT, and i do intend to work on that fix, but i was wondering what people thought of shifting the eye shadows from solid blacks to hatching! please lemme know. (right eye hatched, left eye still solid blacks)

Well.. it looks like the last pic didnt post, oops! Well ive done some more work on it. Tried to develop the lighting and played with hatching for about the first time only really.

I tried shading Mole Man himself, and I liked the way it looked but I like the composition more without shading him much, causing the large area of white to draw the eye.

I still have the same light issue on the mouth, but im not really sure how to approach that, filling the mouth/throat shape in with all solid black just doesn't look good, any idea on what to do with the open mouth?

I was told there would be moloids..

..I'm here for the moloids

(lookin good)
    I am always doing that which I cannot do, in order that I may learn how to do it. ~Pablo Picasso

my deviantart
    my sketchbook

Haha1 i do really want to include moloids, so far they haven't been cooperating but ill do my best xD

Straight Outta a Comic Book [SUPPORTER] Symson's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Definite improvement! Nice!

What happened to his specs and receding hairline? Now he's trying to look cool with shades.
    Inviting 100 artists to celebrate Kirby and Eisner Centennial Tribute Books

Joining you in the ABCs of faith - Action, Belief and Confidence

Ha! too true Symson! I shall rectify the specs (old darkened ones werent right either as i return to peek at source material)

(its been a while, aight :P)

Okay Sym, Updated the glasses and pushed the hairline back a lil farther.
    MLAW we got some token moloids in there, ill probably work on adding more!