Thread: Before and After Penciljack (1 day)

Before and After Penciljack (1 day)

So ive meandered away from Penciljack several times in the last decade. never lingering for long, and that was because for various reasons i wasnt as serious about my art as i would have liked to be. Well in the last year or so ive been focusing alot on it, and most recently as of the start of 2017.

I forgot just what an amazing place Penciljack can be, i was up till 3:30 AM on a work night reading through old threads and critiques and it really got my juices pumping.

Something had been bothering me about some lineart for a recent commission i had done, working on adding a character to a social media banner (that i had previously done) and that was an incredible lack of dynamic pose, some horrible decisions in using the duplicate and flip horizontal commands to create something horribly symmetrical.

I became increasingly displeased with the product and looking through pencil jack I was incredibly inspired in what i needed to do.

on the left was the first rendition, on the right the one i just finished.

But wasn't the first one extremely helpful when it came time to draw the 2nd?

I really enjoy these, BTW. Nice linework.

If you want a dynamic pose you need to counter ballance the lines of head, shoulders, hips, feet. They are all parallel in your pieces, add some twist to the torso and chose a clear sillouette. I can read the design on the first one, not so much on the second.
    Middlweight | W:6 L:0 KOs:4 | Streetfights: W:2 L:0 kOs:1
    LightHeavies | W:7| L :3 KOs: ​6
    http://nabisga.deviantart.com/gallery/

Thanks nsterken, it did help abit, actually, especially because i was in no way familiar with the character.

Josem, thanks for stopping in and dropping some feedback for me, some of that i had in my head when i started (mostly trying to counter balance shoulds and hips) but apparently when lining in i slipped back into some bad habits and I need to watch for that in the future. Some of it I hadn't put thought into (particularly) the silhouette and will try to give that the weight it needs in future situations!

Thanks so much!