Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: The occassional Cintiq alternative thread

I went from a Cintiq (cracked screen) to a Yiynova just because of the price, Yiynova are definately no Cintiq but i find them more than serviceable and for the price im really happy with it.

The colors seem worse than the cintiq but as i run it in duplicate mode i can use my monitor as a color check.

Update on the 13.3 Artisul. Installation was a pain. I had a dual monitor setup.. tried to use it with those.. not working. I disabled one, it works. I figured I would physically disconnect the unused monitor.. but.. that threw off the Artisul.. so.. I re-connected the unused monitor and it works again.
    Okay.. weirdness aside.. It's very programmable. The 6 buttons on the tablet plus scroll wheel/toggle button are setup for Photoshop functions. I don't think it recognizes different profiles for different programs (like Zbrush) but you can save your setup and load.. so it's easy enough I guess if you're going to be in a program for a while.

Photoshop doesn't recognize it as pressure sensitive.. but.. it does.. meaning.. i get a message in the dynamic brush tools saying it won't recognize it.. but.. it does recognize it (tapered strokes, transfer, opacity, etc).

Tracking is honestly a little wonky. It's not terrible but the calibration doesn't seem all that precise. It's usually responsive but there are occasionally "quirks" that so far are only minor annoyances (having to be close to the screen with the stylus when toggling pen/erase mode or clicking something on the other monitor turning off pressure based dynamics for the initial stroke).

Is it amazing? A few years ago, I would say yeah. Now.. nah...
    BUT
    Is it usable and/or something I would recommend? Yes... if you're looking for this type of thing and on a budget.
    I'm comfortable with this purchase and believe my art and workflow are better off with this than my medium Intuous. Time will tell I suppose but I'm happy for now.

EDIT:
    Also, please.. everyone, keep posting reviews for similar devices here!
    I am always doing that which I cannot do, in order that I may learn how to do it. ~Pablo Picasso

my deviantart
    my sketchbook

I would like to hear peoples opinions on 19" or larger interactive devices. The problem is nobody can't give an honest assessment until one year because it doesn't factor build quality and drivers. It seems to be an issue with the Huion according to some users. So out of the box it's fine.

Problems occur for linux users apparently. Also there is an issue of dust creeping underneath into the display. Forget that. I had that happen to a Cintiq 21UX 1st gen and had to open it up to get rid of specs of dust under the monitor. Each of the Cintiqs after that I haven't been like that. I'm interested to know if the alternative tablets have good design for air flow that doesn't allow dust to get into the unit.

If any pjers get these items they should review them for other artists' benefit.

Not Spoiling for a Fight Pencilero's Avatar
    Using Linux for creativity is like entering the priesthood expecting to become financially wealthy.

If you're okay with working off the grid, that's fine; but you can't be an outlier and expect things to work without compromise.
    New and improved for 1996!
    Instagram: Pencilero

Quote Originally Posted by Pencilero View Post
    Using Linux for creativity is like entering the priesthood expecting to become financially wealthy.

If you're okay with working off the grid, that's fine; but you can't be an outlier and expect things to work without compromise.
    The drivers would be the only legitimate issue.. but the community is pretty good at solutions once the problems are identified.
    One could use GiMP or other free illustration software if they were wanting to work entirely through open-sourced freeware but I digress.
    I am always doing that which I cannot do, in order that I may learn how to do it. ~Pablo Picasso

my deviantart
    my sketchbook

Follow up on the Artisul. I've gotten used to it and worked through it's quirks (and if you're left-handed.. make sure you select that.. it reverses the offset which makes life sooo much easier..).

A big note.. (2)
    1. It won't calibrate completely. I tried matching it to a gradient online image thingy.. the darkest and next darkest just won't go.. By default the two brightest are also bleeding over throwing your values way out. I actually had no clue how bad off it was until I sent a color piece to my client.. which I saw on a different monitor after sending and was like "WHOAH WTF".. so yeah.. pay attention to that.

2. If you're planning on buying extension cables.. it won't work.. At least buying standard USB and HDMI extensions didn't. The USB was okay though.. just not the weird HDMI thing.

Most of the other quirks and kinks have worked their way out or I've just gotten so used to them that I'm compensating .. whatever the case they're not really an issue anymore. I've been using it quite extensively and the material is holding up. The scroll wheel is annoying since it doesn't display what mode it's on for me on the tablet (it goes to the main desktop) so I end up not knowing and having to switch back pretty often (usually zoom in/out). The express buttons are still holding strong. The stylus does have one small issue. The dual button is actually a single button that rocks onto either end's micro-switch/button thingy. So.. if your finger is kind of in the middle, you can push the wrong one (for me this is the difference between right clicking and switching to eraser mode). The stylus is the weak link in the hardware but to give it credit, I was subconsciously using the pressure for strokes that I would do on my Intuous.. so the pressure sensitivity is there.. I just wish the construction was more solid I guess.

I would say if you prefer a more portable solution this might be for you... but again, some of the stuff I mentioned can be pretty huge. Having to move my final image to my main desktop and add an adjustment layer before sending an image off for approval is a real pain..

my deviantart
    my sketchbook

Not Spoiling for a Fight Pencilero's Avatar
    This just popped onto my radar today. Headline is a bit hyperbolic, but if the final product delivers - who gives a *ahem*?

This $300 Surface Pro clone might be better than the real thing

It comes with the usual caveats that you may be facing wonky drivers, or need to fiddle with the hardware/software a bit more, but it is an inexpensive alternative; and that's always the quest.
    New and improved for 1996!
    Instagram: Pencilero