Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The occassional Cintiq alternative thread

The occassional Cintiq alternative thread

Hey PJ!
    Looking for the current trends on alternative pen input style monitors or devices.
    I am looking to buy something in the next few days but don't want to fork out for Wacom.
    For bang for the buck (cost/performance) what is currently hot? Am I better off just getting a tablet (like a Note or something) or are the brand x display tablets going to outperform? Not looking to spend more than a few hundred bucks (plus an articulated arm if it's a monitor).

Hopefully this will help others in the future too.
    I am always doing that which I cannot do, in order that I may learn how to do it. ~Pablo Picasso

my deviantart
    my sketchbook

I just purchased a Ugee HK-1560 tablet 15.6" screen, it has great reviews, hopefully it'll arrive before the the month is out.

http://www.ugee.net/goods/58.html

Quote Originally Posted by BPS Morganza View Post
    I just purchased a Ugee HK-1560 tablet 15.6" screen, it has great reviews, hopefully it'll arrive before the the month is out.

http://www.ugee.net/goods/58.html
    I'd love to hear your take on it when it comes in.
    www.hobblingdead.com
    portfolio
    PUMMEL stats: Div - LHW | Wins - 24 | Losses - 14 | Knockouts - 11 | Months Champion - 1

Not Spoiling for a Fight Pencilero's Avatar
    Co-sign.

It seems Frenden hasn't reviewed any tablets lately. He was the go-to guy for a while, but seeing as how these aren't inexpensive - I can see how that has tapered off.
    New and improved for 1996!
    Instagram: Pencilero

Third in line waiting for review
    "Censorship is legal vandalization of art" - Urban Dictionary
    |LHW Bottomfeeder|
    PJ Sketchblog
    petethacreepofficial

I ordered an Aritisul 10.1 but will probably swap up for the 13.3. Will offer a review of it as well.
    I have not installed the 10.1 since I don't want to have to go in and delete drivers a few times (for this and the up-size). I can say, the feel and finish is very professional. The materials have a level of polish I would expect from Wacom and for what it is, my Galaxy 10.1 tablet is about the same weight as is my medium Intuous. I'm legitimately excited to start working on this as almost every reviewer (save a few who seem to not know what drivers are) has gushed about it.
    I am always doing that which I cannot do, in order that I may learn how to do it. ~Pablo Picasso

my deviantart
    my sketchbook

UPDATE:
    I got the Artisul 13" with stand...and.. can't use it.. yet
    So here's the deal.. It's not just a bigger version of the 10".. It has a REALLY nice scroll ring, pen stand, etc. So, 6 programmable buttons, plus a dial/wheel (I think it's got a center button), a very nice stand, a rubberized battery free stylus with multiple nibs, a stylus stand, a stylus case (clamshell with nibs and a magnetic clasp), and a bunch of other goodies.

The rub.. my monitors are a bit old. They're topping out at 1600x900 on resolution. To use this tablet/display, you have to be able to match multiple monitors to the resolution of the tablet. SO.. I am having to ditch my dual monitors for the time being and have ordered a new-fangled monitor that can support that higher resolution.

Edit: Ha! It worked.. hmm.. wonder if I can still cancel that order..

While typing this, it did occur to me to make the tablet the primary monitor and attempt to somehow use the existing dual monitor setup. Either way, the new monitor arrives tomorrow so we'll see.

my deviantart
    my sketchbook

I'd say that you would need a dual monitor setup because even with a Wacom Cintiq which has a better colour gamut than Bosto, Yiynova and Artisul, a second monitor is needed. With a second display you can see a difference with paint colour and line quality.

For the time being I'm using my Lenovo x220t as a drawing input. 12.5" apparently but so limited in size to use for finished work.
    My mindset for 13" graphic tablets is that they have to be portable. What's the point of being tethered with such a small screen? Budget is a huge consideration but having anything 21" and over is excellent for workflow imo.

Only drawback that I have with my Cintiq 24HD is that it's a monster. You can't rotate the screen like you could with a 21UX. Also it takes a huge chunk of desk real estate. I've used enough graphic input devices to know that for better accuracy the best display on offer is what to go for. Maybe not the case with the 27" that I used to have. 24" is the best looking display imo.
    Last edited by Dri; 03-16-2017 at 10:19 PM.

It is super portable except for the short leash the HDMI/USB cords keep you on. I have a powered USB extender but I need to see if I can find one for HDMI as well. This will allow me to lounge around and draw at my actual drawing board or relaxing in a position I couldn't normally get. Come to think of it, I may well install something on my wife's laptop too so I can draw in the wee hours.

my deviantart
    my sketchbook

Not Spoiling for a Fight Pencilero's Avatar
    Certainly not less expensive than a Cintiq or Companion, but I got to fart around with a Surface Book today with the default software on it. Windows Sketch or something, it's a bit clunky - not really a great tool to show off the capabilities of the hardware; but it's impressive as hell!

Whenever I fire up my Surface Pro 2, I go directly to calibrate my pen. On the Surface Book - the calibration is pretty spot-on from the jump.

I couldn't find the pressure settings for the pen, so by default this sketching program required more pressure than I typically apply.

The giant screen is fantastic for drawing on when disengaged from the keyboard base. Although it gets warmer as you draw, it feels great in the hand - very solid feeling metal and glass; but I can imagine it would get pretty toasty over time.

If I had the money to burn, I'd buy the hell out of one.

I might down the road - hopefully the next iteration of the Surface Pro will have the extra inch the Book offers. Having all that screen real estate is a big jump from my SP2, which I still enjoy; but man - I'd love to throw manga studio on the Book and go to town.
    New and improved for 1996!
    Instagram: Pencilero