Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Steampunk City

Steampunk City

Finished pencils for a steampunk city design. How do you like it?

If the horizon is in the shot then there's on 3rd point (not unless you include the 4th and go curvilinear) If you want to ignore the rules of perspective then go bonkers on it, toss it out completely, go german expressionism, cubistic, UPA (Gerald McBoing Boing)

There's some very obvious skill here but, along with London bridge, all your buildings are falling down.

If you want a bird's eye view, get the horizon up where the bird lives - outside the frame and well above the drawing. If you want a worm's eye view, get the horizon down where the worm lives - outside the frame and well below the drawing. Either way, no 3rd point in an horizon level shot.

Hey, thanks for the tip!

This was a freehand drawing and I only had a couple of hours to design and draw it, so I decided to cut some corners. Curvilinear would've been too troublesome and I wanted a very dynamic shot of the city, from a point of view of a person standing in a window, with the city visible both below and a bit above. Two point would've been too static in my opinion and I think the level of distortion in here is still in the acceptable range

Just wanted to say that that is some really nice architectural and design work. It's got a lot of beauty and grace and both my hand and my brain get tired thinking of the sheer work behind it! And knowing you did it "in a couple of hours?" Man, in my book, that's quite a feat!

I really appreciate these types of perspective heavy designs. I myself have not been bold enough to try something of this caliber. seeing stuff like this though really gets me motivated to get it together. Thanks for posting

Neophyte
    That is amazing art. I love the contrast as well as size of the ship in contrast to the building and the person on the ship.

Thanks for the positive feedback guys, it means a lot to me I drew a full grid for it, I always do it to spare myself having to think about it later on and freehanding a grid is also a great way to warm up your hand, especially on a B3 format (35x50cm). Try it, once you have it it's just labour after that.

And regarding what Smitty said about the 3 point - I think you don't always need a 4th VP when 3 point has a visible horizon (at least not when the horizon is pretty high) like on this photo:

The windows don't go to another VP above the horizon, they continue to flare out rather than start converging. I think that if the HL is relatively low, the distortion would be too extreme and a 4 point perspective would be necessary.

The idea that a camera never lies may well be the biggest lie ever told. Cameras lie like a shivering junkie dying for a spike. The photo provided is our proof. I can smell the sweat from here.

Avoid the rules of perspective, get your VPs too close to the frame and distortion is guaranteed. The question is how much, and how grotesque, the distortion you're willing to accept.

These perspective threads are incredible. I've learnt so much from them and can understand now where I have improved too. On the topic of Photo's telling lies and messing perspective, I'll paste this from a thread I posted 12 years back where I didn't understand how dodgy modern photos are.

Quote Originally Posted by Super Rats View Post
    Cameras distort.

Large format cameras, you know the big old still cameras on rails and looked like there was an accordion in front, are able to make warp correction as well by tilting the film plane, they are able to correct the warp from the lens being tilted and acheive a look that is less distorted. Large format cameras are like a hundred years old. Warp correction is an old process, but now that large format cameras have fallen out of favor by all but die hards and some studio work, warp correction often occurs on the computer instead of in the field before the shutter gets tripped.

Warp correction was one of the things that kept large format cameras in use for so long for architectural and landscapape work. It could correct these things whereas a fixed plane camera like the typical SLR people carry around couldn't (fixed plane cameras have a tendancy to emphasize distortions due to looking up and down, etc). So it was worth the time and effort it took to setup the photo.

Moving the rails and accordion can also create pleasant distortion effects.

All this is to say is that the more things change, the more things stay the same.

While it might not be classically correct, it looks wonderful to me. I'm more of a "if it looks good, its right" kind of guy and this looks good.

Following the rules doesn't necessarily mean you will get a better image, as artists we are inherently going to try and avoid "rules" as its not a science (for most of us).

But then again, I dont want to see this turn into a 4 pages mud slinging match so....*slinks off to a dark corner*
    Disneyfied T&A
    My deviantart