Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: new Ghost Rider VS Punisher

new Ghost Rider VS Punisher

Any cc welcome. Hope to ink this sometime.

J

"Not a day without drawing" - Adolf von Menzel

Consider enlarging the frame (not the drawing) to eliminate bad cropping. Think Tic-Tac-Toe, divide in thirds horizontally and vertically and place focal points at the corners of the center square.

Punisher is wide awake and should have one eye slightly open to show he's playing possum. If he's not wide awake, relax the right hand and get the right foot (except the heel) off the ground. The left leg can only be viewed as is if the foot is below ground level. Include the lower leg.

You are your own best model. Assume the position and feel what happens.

Appreciate the feedback, Smitty- thank you.

I was going for a unconventional cropping to create a feeling of unease.
    Also to give a little bit of distance between the two adversaries.
    Below both options for cropping, maybe you guys can tell me which works best.

I tried to incorporate your excellent suggestions abt the legs and relaxed his right hand just a bit.
    Hope I haven't created some new problems in the process.
    It would be just like the Punisher to play possum

Last edited by youngatart; 02-24-2017 at 05:35 AM.

PUMMEL Mod [SUPPORTER]
    [Moderator]
    I know how hard it is to really rework a piece, but Smitty is right - the framing of it needs reworking. Personally, I'd pull it in tighter.
    My Deviant Art page
    My PUMMEL stats
    PUMMEL stats: 61 wins | 58 losses | 31 KOs
    2 Time Heavyweight Champion
    Light Heavyweight Commissioner

Both cropping options still obscure the main figure somewhat. You can create unease many ways, through composition, subject matter, lighting, color. Crop and tilt rarely works the way comic artists intend it to.

I think its option "A" for the win

My mother used to get tongue tied to the point she put a plaque on the fridge that read "I know you think you understand what you thought I said. I'm not sure you realize what you heard is not what I meant." Any time she got flustered she'd turn to the fridge and point to the sign. Eventually the gesture was reduced to a thumb motion over the shoulder. This drawing is, I'm sorry to say, one big thumb over the shoulder; It doesn't mean what you're saying, or you're not saying what you mean.

First you need to determine if the punisher is dead or alive. If he's alive, relax the figure. The death claw is going to shake if he's alive. GR will see it a mile away and know it's a trap. If he's dead, say so. Blow his head off, riddle him with bullets, drench him in blood. Either way is fine but, pick one.

The Punisher is not the Vision. His leg cannot go through the ground. If his left leg is true then the horizon runs through his leg and the alley is on a steep hill. This is fine as long as the rest of the drawing goes along.

If the alley is level, the horizon is at the top of the panel.

In either case you've given no thought to scale. GR is tiny, the dumpster wafer thin. Avoid unbalanced cropping that decreases understanding and adds confusion.

Last edited by Smitty; 02-24-2017 at 03:28 PM.

Monkey with Crayons [Moderator] Veritas71's Avatar
    I would rework the entire thing. As an artist, I know how easy it is to get married to one idea, but if it ain't working, it ain't working. Right now I don't feel any tension or drama. If GR has the upper hand then get him in a dominant position. I did a quick layout to show a possible solution. Play with it, find out what are the most important things about the story you are trying to tell. Highlight those points. In my layout, I wanted us to feel like Frank. So I put the horizon low. Two things happen. Ghost Rider is suddenly dominant, standing over his supposed defeated foe. It also gets you close to Frank and you can really see him playing possum with an eye open, waiting for GR to get closer.

OPEN FOR COMMISSIONS!
    My Blog
    My DeviantART Page
    PUMMEL Statistics: 8 Wins - 3 Losses (6-KO's) 2 Month Champ

PUMMEL Mod [SUPPORTER]
    [Moderator]
    ^^^^^^
    THAT
    is exactly what I was thinking with my post.
    Tons better.
    My Deviant Art page
    My PUMMEL stats
    PUMMEL stats: 61 wins | 58 losses | 31 KOs
    2 Time Heavyweight Champion
    Light Heavyweight Commissioner

Smitty- Your mom sounds like quite a gal. Thank you for articulating further through the drawings.
    Hence forth, I'll be more diligent in drawing out perspective lines.

Veritas71- I was thinking of doing something along those lines, one of the more famous examples
    http://13thdimension.com/wp-content/...AN244FRONT.jpg
    But not being able to see Punishers iconic chest skull made me try something else.

Option C Below -
    Last edited by youngatart; 02-25-2017 at 11:41 AM.