Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Spider-Man Pages

Oh, sorry for posting the pages again! I think an admin may have moved the thread to this forum, and I got confused. O_o
    Never without passion.

Looking good! May I ask where you guys are getting this script?
    I am always doing that which I cannot do, in order that I may learn how to do it. ~Pablo Picasso

my deviantart
    my sketchbook

I got it off a Marvel editor. I think they've been throwing this out for a few years, I saw someone take it on in 2015 I think.
    Never without passion.

If the horizon is in the shot( and it is) then there is no third point.

The closer the VP to the frame, the more distortion you get. You've given no consideration to scale or the illusion of shrinkage over distance which an establishing shot such as this requires.

The left leg ends in the left foot. The right foot belongs on the right leg.

Using POV as a barrier to reading is, in most cases, bad juju. If you want Spidey on the ceiling, put him on the ceiling above our heads. If you want him on the floor... STOP! Just stop, that's not where Spidey belongs

Grumpy Old Man Alert- Run Away!

His name is Spider-Man, not Moron the Bug-eyed Boy. Spiders have tiny eyes, they do not bulge out of the head. Give him Spider-Mans eyes to avoid the brain-dead, idiot look. Save that for when he gets punched by the Hulk.

If the horizon is in the shot( and it is) then there is no third point. - THANK YOU for this! I sometimes add a third vanishing point "just to make it more dynamic" in my head. Which sometimes makes things worse, as in this page.

Using POV as a barrier to reading is, in most cases, bad juju. If you want Spidey on the ceiling, put him on the ceiling above our heads. - again, thanks! I was just trying to get all fancy with the shot (but, in my weak defense, only because it's Spidey!), maybe it's better to keep things

(I kind of like grumpy old man Smitty)
    Never without passion.

Hey I really like this stuff.
    Page 1 I feel is very strong, Spidey's right hand is great!
    Page 2 is my least favorite- kinda has a Mark Bagely vibe, so it feels "older" style to me.
    Page 4 really good, Peters face is nice- modern style

May I ask why page 2 feels older? Page 3 to me is the one that feels off, I want to tweak Spidey on that page to align him with the other pages.

Thanks man!
    Never without passion.

I think Page 2 feels older to me only because of Panel 1- Spidey's nose, chin and skull are very pronounced. Pointy? Also you've clearly defined his neck muscles. I associate this with early 90's pencilers. These are just "style" opinions. I feel like modern Spidey has smoother lines, more fluid- willing to take risks- I'm thinking of Humberto Ramos, all the way back to Steve Skroce.

As for page 3- try giving Spidey a hint of naturalism, not strict uptight Realism. (More like page 1, just a bit exaggerated)
    Take some liberties man, as a reader that's what I look for. I avoid stuffy old guy style

As far as how big his eyes should be- it's a cyclical debate. Big eyes don't look "moronic" to me, and small eyes suit when he gets punched or is angry. Personal taste i guess.

Thank you! I'll try removing some of those definitions, sees if that works!

I blame McFarlane and Larsen for the big eyes I draw. Although some people can pull off the classic eyes well!
    Never without passion.

Virtuabutch- if you're wanting these pages to be in a submission for Marvel, I'd consider making both Spider-Men's costumes consistent with the latest versions, which have a few differences from the classic versions (especially Spidey 2099). It's totally not the most important thing (your storytelling is damn good on all these!) but it could show an editor that you're paying attention to the smaller details of where their characters are at right now, which could make a better impression. I'm sure it's no dealbreaker, just a sugestion. :-)