Thread: WSG 498: Big Shoes To Fill

Super Saiyan level: Batman Jeloschi's Avatar

WSG 498: Big Shoes To Fill

There's a long history of characters passing down their mantle to a successor, or in some cases, maybe a void is left by the loss of a hero and filled by a new one. Here are a very select few of the most modern versions of those legacies.

Robin (Damien Wayne) and Superboy (Jon White/Kent)

Wolverine (Laura Kinney)

Ms Marvel (Kamala Khan)

Iron Man/Heart (Tori Williams)

BONUS! CHARACTER REDESIGN!

An OG legacy character in dire need of a 21st century make over, each iteration of The Phantom is a descendant of the previous. Give him or her a new look worthy of today's heroes.

GO ROYALS !!!
    DeviantArt

Not Spoiling for a Fight Pencilero's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeloschi View Post
    BONUS! CHARACTER REDESIGN!

An OG legacy character in dire need of a 21st century make over, each iteration of The Phantom is a descendant of the previous. Give him or her a new look worthy of today's heroes.

You do realize he's called "The Ghost Who Walks" is because his appearance is always the same.

It's integral to the character.
    New and improved for 1996!
    Instagram: Pencilero

Super Saiyan level: Batman Jeloschi's Avatar
    Sooo, the first Phantom, twenty generations ago wore the same purple spandex and a couple of 45s? Besides, this character was created in the '30s, you don't think if he'd been made today he'd be sporting some leather or armor or something?
    GO ROYALS !!!
    DeviantArt

Quick and dirty Phantom...a new generation. Not happy with the eyes but I wanted to get a WSG in no matter what.

Neophyte

This one might get finished

Neophyte
    I'm down for a phantom redesign

Quote Originally Posted by Jeloschi View Post
    Sooo, the first Phantom, twenty generations ago wore the same purple spandex and a couple of 45s? Besides, this character was created in the '30s, you don't think if he'd been made today he'd be sporting some leather or armor or something?
    The Phantom never wore spandex. Egyptian cotton, the finest in the world, is available just over the mountains. 400 years ago he was sporting hand cannons and flintlocks. If you want to upgrade his 1911's with Uzi's, I can get behind that. Leather and armor... in the jungle? nah.

GRUMPY OLD MAN ALERT! RUN AWAY!

As a younger artist I used to cover everything in clutter, insane detail and line work to hide the fact that I couldn't draw well. The more I improved, the less clutter I employed. Look to Alex Raymond/Al Williamson on Flash Gordon, David Mazzuchelli on Batman, Alex Toth's animation designs and you'll see that detail isn't required if the drawing is fundamentally sound.

The Phantom is the archetype for all costumed heroes. Rather than "modernize" the character, emphasize the "fish out of water" aspect: Tarzan's New York Adventure, Crocodile Dundee, E.T.

Oops, I imagine ole Walker is looking on his twins redesign with curmudgeonly paternity...