Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Frazetta Study

Frazetta Study

Here's the first hour or two of a Frazetta study. I still have a long way to go but thought I would throw it up here.
    I am always doing that which I cannot do, in order that I may learn how to do it. ~Pablo Picasso

my deviantart
    my sketchbook

Hey Mlaw,

what are you trying to do with this study? The proportions are off in a couple places, did you do an underdrawing or go straight to painting? This looks like a digital piece, so tweaking the proportions with a few cut and pastes should do the trick. Be careful to have the tiger look in the right direction, right now he's tripping balls, not getting ready to strike

I think after that you should break out some hard brushes and get some detail and hard shadows/lights going. These decisions will also help you get your values right. I think you did a good job on the chick, the rest has pretty harsh contrasts both in saturation and brightness.

Lastly, and this is most obvious on the tiger:
    If you go from shapes, do the whole shape and not only light and dark. Do a hearty stroke to rough out the whole arm and then go back an add shadows and light areas on top of your own shape and compare to reference and the original piece.
    The lesson should not be to trying to recreate a painting but to try and apply the techniques used to your own art. I would like to see you do the same scene from a different angle

Keep it up!
    "Censorship is legal vandalization of art" - Urban Dictionary
    |LHW Bottomfeeder|
    PJ Sketchblog
    petethacreepofficial

Pete - Thanks for the crit!
    Yeah, the details are really just place holders. There's no under drawing so I'm just laying in my shapes to get the page set up right. Once I'm satisfied that things are in the right positions I'll have a look at anatomy and cats with substance abuse problems This study might not get looked at until it comes back into my rotation but I'll keep your crits in mind.

In this particular instance, the point IS to recreate the original. I am getting back on an old schedule I used to do and there is a slot for imagination work (where I can apply this).. but the point of this specific study is to learn the colors and brushwork and emulate as close to possible THEN.. take that to my personal work. I've got a client piece coming up that's thematically similar and I hope to do this one and probably a cinematic study of Luke on Tatooine before I get to it. I also hope to pick up some of the Frazetta colors and brushwork for my PUMMEL piece.. so it's kinda double whammy

The tiger thing was hilarious btw
    edit: lol I scrolled back up and imagined the tiger being in Harold and Kumar.. and can't stop laughing..

EDIT2:
    To elaborate.. the reason this is supposed to copy the original instead of re-imagine, is so the learner can focus on the color and brush etc.. If you're trying to re-imagine, it puts more burden on the learner and can distract from the lesson at hand. Kind of like desaturating a photo to study values.. the color info can confuse the purpose of the study.. If I had to re-imagine this an hour or two of work would still see me doing line art or planning the scene or whatever
    Last edited by MLaw; 01-04-2017 at 07:08 PM.
    I am always doing that which I cannot do, in order that I may learn how to do it. ~Pablo Picasso

my deviantart
    my sketchbook

I realized people might not be familiar with master studies...
    https://cgcookie.com/exercise/exerci...aster-studies/

my deviantart
    my sketchbook

Not sure you did it on purpose, but man, i'm loving that cat expression, best laugh i had today.
    Middlweight | W:6 L:0 KOs:4 | Streetfights: W:2 L:0 kOs:1
    LightHeavies | W:7| L :3 KOs: ​6
    http://nabisga.deviantart.com/gallery/

Quote Originally Posted by Josem View Post
    Not sure you did it on purpose, but man, i'm loving that cat expression, best laugh i had today.
    lol, yeah I was just trying to get the basic forms in.. got it close enough to be able to pick it up next time and it just so happened that he looks high AF..

my deviantart
    my sketchbook

Okay, I took the tiger to rehab and tried to reel the proportions in. I won't go in on the forms and edges until I'm a bit more satisfied with the proportions.

my deviantart
    my sketchbook

Really dig it!
    Proportions look good to me.
    You said your main goal is to study his color and brushwork?

Have you tried doing any B/W value studies? It would inform your color choices quite a bit, I bet.

Quote Originally Posted by sdowner View Post
    Really dig it!
    Proportions look good to me.
    You said your main goal is to study his color and brushwork?

Have you tried doing any B/W value studies? It would inform your color choices quite a bit, I bet.
    Yes and yes. Right now I'm trying to understand his decisions with blending and how he selected the colors.. which might seem like a fool's errand.. What I'm going to do in the next session is try to lock down some of the shapes a bit more.. Then I'll onion skin and do a line drawing.. at which point I'll be really particular about the colors since the forms and everything will already be done.
    I know that seems like overkill but I'm trying to approach it like a meditation. To internalize it and not just crank it out but to really chew on as much of it as possible.
    This study is actually in tandem with the other studies in my schedule.. so as I go the different things are leeching over.

Here's my current schedule

Later in the week I'll be doing a blast of a few of the studies and explain a bit more in my new and improved sketchbook. The short version is, this is a program a lot of people have been using that focuses on atelier style learning. Most of it is basically a really focused sketchbook development type thing where none of it is really intended as display pieces or anything. When I went from studying more illustration focused to sequential I really fell off with this and now that I'm getting more paid work, it's actually in illustration so I am pushing myself to get back to this.

The values thing is very valid and I get blind to it a little. Right now my client work is grayscale.. so going from that back to color is challenging me in new and exciting ways

my deviantart
    my sketchbook