Thread: MLaw's House of Pain (NSFW Art Blog)

Sick MLaw's House of Pain (NSFW Art Blog)

This is the initial entry in my brand new Sketchbook, which I totally plan on using more than the old one!

First up, I'm getting back in the habit of studies since I'm doing a lot more illustration work lately.
    Here's the first session of a Frazetta study.
    I am always doing that which I cannot do, in order that I may learn how to do it. ~Pablo Picasso

my deviantart
    my sketchbook

I had mentioned in another thread that I've been on a fairly intensive study track. Below is an explanation along with the progress after about a week and a half. Note: These are worked on in stages and passes as the pertinent topic comes back into rotation. Most of these have at most 2-3 hours work each.

This is the schedule.

Since starting it, I've seen huge improvements and really started improving my speed for client work. This is a big deal since time is money for freelance.. but also I'm finding new ways to see and do things.

I usually start my day with some figure studies. For this I've been using a website (was pixel lovely.. it's something else now.. line of action or something).
    Here's the highlights from the first week or so.

That usually spans into anatomy study but sometimes I find myself with a little free time so I'll do an exercise that is about visualization, like this.

A lot of time it is drawing what I see but sometimes I do find that onion skinning over and tracing off anatomy helps to really see muscles that we might not normally be aware of.

Working from photos often times can lead to seeing things flat or not being able to portray something as we see it outside of a photo. Still life helps with this and we develop an understanding of depth.

Taking that knowledge and trying to combine it with an understanding of how artists that inspire us have worked can really lead to some breakthroughs on our personal style and individual goals. I like to do master studies to try to gain insight into their processes or maybe even just how they would lay things out or think about colors or shapes.

This is after 3 sessions and I still have a bit to learn I think as well as finishing the image. Some of these studies can span a few sessions.

Combining these techniques with more dramatic lighting that has evolved with cinema and pop culture can also help inform our art.

I have no idea where the photo is from but the lighting is really dramatic. I have done a fast painting on the left to try to get the shapes and a general idea of the colors. Then I have gone in with a low opacity solid white layer and started doing linework to help me tighten up the shapes. I'll eventually go back over this with brushwork to bring it to a final image.

Sometimes studying values also helps with this.

Here I'm taking a color photo and doing a value painting on the side. I usually don't introduce the more extreme values until I'm happy with the shapes, so this one has a little way to go. I have learned a lot so far though, like how to make that grid for the floor. A regular square grid was not scaling properly so I made a custom pattern that would distort into the proper shape once the perspective tool was applied.

Sometimes, learning those tools requires some exercises that move away from drawing and more into visualization.

This is a photobash I did of 19 images to create an imaginary city. It's not really that great but the point was for me to learn how to use layer masks and how to unify elements. I'll use this technique in the future to help illustrations that need to have elements adjusted individually without having to alter the original image.

I like to spend the free time left in the evenings for sketches and doodles or to wrap up loose ends on client work.

Sometimes I still try to use the sketches as opportunities to learn or apply what I have learned. These were drawn in sequence last night to see if I could draw robots in 3 different scales and effectively control the shapes and have the overall designs reflect the size.
    I am always doing that which I cannot do, in order that I may learn how to do it. ~Pablo Picasso

my deviantart
    my sketchbook

More studies. Health problems are keeping me from hitting my schedule but this is what I got over the past week or so.

Enviro Studies 30min each

Gesture Highlights

Perspective Exercises

Photo Study

Robot Study

Still Life

Thanks for looking

my deviantart
    my sketchbook

Won't be studies this week. Too much going on. Here's a piece from PUMMEL though

my deviantart
    my sketchbook

March 2017 PUMMEL. East of West

my deviantart
    my sketchbook

Great thread, motivation for study and schedule.