Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Batman sample

Really nice work, man!

Great work! Especially the new page 2!

The only crits i have is Alfred's eyebrows make him look especially snarky or outright pissed at Bruce. Is that what's happening in the script?

Oh, and Harley's poses seem weird to me in a few panels.

But, daaaaamn, some nice pages!

I don't think there's word for how much respect for you I have for taking Smitty's suggestions, going back to the drawing board and coming back with an incredible page. That's what this journey is all about man, keep the good work up!

I agree, the new page is really nice. I hope you're going to fix the perspective issues in page 1. It would be a big letdown to have such an awesome submission get hamstrung because a panel or two need a little work on the perspective.
    I am always doing that which I cannot do, in order that I may learn how to do it. ~Pablo Picasso

my deviantart
    my sketchbook

Great pieces. Enjoying them very much!

I have a question about

Quote Originally Posted by Smitty View Post
    Your VP is Superman, the frame of the drawing is Kryptonite. Get Superman to close to Kryptonite and he dies. To protect Superman, keep him as far from the Kryptonite as possible. The closer the VP gets to the frame, the more distortion you get.
    Is this referring to that giant guy walking over the roads ? Because I see Smitty's blue VP is still the same as the original VP ?

Quote Originally Posted by humble-tomato View Post
    Great pieces. Enjoying them very much!

I have a question about ...

Is this referring to that giant guy walking over the roads ? Because I see Smitty's blue VP is still the same as the original VP ?
    The example using the blue VP is to maintain his perspective while showing how his facades are overly stretched out.

Anytime the VP approaches the frame, distortion becomes a problem. Perspective is a child's jack. Anytime you move one arm you MUST move all 6 or you break the jack, break the perspective and break the drawing. By moving the forward point X to the left, the VP at right MUST move X) to the right as well or the drawing is broken. Butch stays largely out of trouble because of close cropping and he's used a portrait rather than landscape orientation.

Read more here at post #48 to see how VPs near the frame kill the drawing and how cropping can... sometimes... save you.
    Last edited by Smitty; 01-25-2017 at 11:43 PM.

Yep, I was one of the people who were really into that thread. I just wanted to make sure I was looking at the right panel for that comment. But I do have some questions that bug me about 1 pt VP being close to frames.. I will shoot the question when my thoughts are more organized and make sense Thanks Smitty

Crud, I stopped getting notifications, didn't see the input you guys were giving!

Domo - Mr. Smitty is a goddamn treasure If you don't try to consider his suggestions, you're doing it wrong.

Dredd - yeah, he's being a bit of an ass in the script. Will address some of Harley's poses though, thanks!

MLaw - thanks, I'll give it a go!

Everyone else-- thanks for the input and positivity I've got a Spidey sample cooking in the WIP section, just started though. Will move it here when the pages are halfway decent
    Never without passion.

Quote Originally Posted by humble-tomato View Post
    But I do have some questions that bug me about 1 pt VP being close to frames..
    And the answer is VP+Frame=DEATH! Put the two together and you will get distortion. This is not a theory or a concept or a thought, it's the fact. Keep the VP where the VP belongs and your troubles disappear.

WOW, that is a brilliant splash! Well done!