Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Spider-Man: Homecoming

Quote Originally Posted by dmario View Post
    you know that awful Ultimate Spider-man cartoon that everyone hates except 6 yr olds?

This is pretty much that exact same thing, in live action.

Young HS Peter
    Young Aunt May
    Multiracial cast
    SHIELD/STARK augmentations to costume
    FP narration
    That's the movie in a nutshell.

It's clearly for a more younger audience but they deserve better writing and characterizations. If you compare it to Raimi and Webb's movies it wasn't exceptional with anything.

Finally! A Spider-man movie that fixes everything that was wrong with the previous Spider-man movies. If I had to hear "with great power comes great responsibility" in a Spider-man movie one more time, I would've just gotten up and left the theater.

This movie is like a breath of fresh air for the Spider-man series of movies. No more nonsensical, over-the-top villains with stupid voices that just want to destroy the city as a means to get to the hero. Keaton is awesome here as the villain and he almost had me believing in his reasons for being a villain.

Spidey's life isn't so shitty and miserable that it's downright depressing like in the previous films. And there's just the right amount of humor, and the timing and delivery are perfect.

Of course, comicbook purists are probably gonna hate this version of Spidey, but I'm so far removed from the comicbooks now that I don't even mind the movie being such a huge departure from the original.

Plus, I'm really digging Marisa Tomei as the hot Aunt May. Anyways, just my take on the movie and why it works for me. I was thoroughly entertained from start to finish. Oh, and best end credit scene ever! Haha
    Last edited by Digital Klown; 07-08-2017 at 12:26 PM.

Lifetime Spider-man fan and loved this. Not perfect by any means, but fun, some clever stuff and a great tone.

And thank god they skipped the origin stuff this time. Some really clever twists/takes on things that updated certain aspects of the character without being done just for the sake of it.

As often with Spider-man, villains a bit weak (even though Keaton does what he can with Vulture), but they really nailed Spider-man for me as a modern teenager.

After the drivel and mess that was the Amazing Spider-Man couple of films and the cluster**** of Spider-man 3, it's good to be back on track.

Quote Originally Posted by Digital Klown View Post
    Finally! A Spider-man movie that fixes everything that was wrong with the previous Spider-man movies. If I had to hear "with great power comes great responsibility" in a Spider-man movie one more time, I would've just gotten up and left the theater.

This movie is like a breath of fresh air for the Spider-man series of movies. No more nonsensical, over-the-top villains with stupid voices that just want to destroy the city as a means to get to the hero. Keaton is awesome here as the villain and he almost had me believing in his reasons for being a villain.

Spidey's life isn't so shitty and miserable that it's downright depressing like in the previous films. And there's just the right amount of humor, and the timing and delivery are perfect.

Of course, comicbook purists are probably gonna hate this version of Spidey, but I'm so far removed from the comicbooks now that I don't even mind the movie being such a huge departure from the original.

Plus, I'm really digging Marisa Tomei as the hot Aunt May. Anyways, just my take on the movie and why it works for me. I was thoroughly entertained from start to finish. Oh, and best end credit scene ever! Haha
    End credit scene was brilliant.

I decided to say **** it and saw it again yesterday. I don't usually go see something twice within three days but I needed a redo with a better crowd. I also saw it in 2d on a big screen this time and it made a huge difference.

It's my favorite portrayal of Spider-man and Peter Parker yet. They really nailed the struggle between school life and superheroics this time. I just wish we got more of it. There wasn't enough time to develop any of his classmates besides Ned. I still think a tv show would suit the character better for that reason. This felt like a pilot to a tv show but we'll have to make do with what they give us in two hour chunks every couple of years.

I think my biggest criticism is that the superhero plot just felt very rote to me. I liked the villains. Keaton and the gang were great. It's nice to see spidey fight people who aren't complete cartoon villains. I hope they keep that up. But none of the action set pieces gripped me or felt refreshing. I think part of that is by design (I read that they didn't want any swinging scenes like the other movies) and it's tough to do something new by movie 6. Bur it still felt very unexciting.

One other thing I liked. I usually don't like a high tech spidey, but it surprisingly worked for me in this film. I can do without all the different modes of the suit in sequels. But I thought Karen was a clever device to have his usual inner monologue be conveyed through banter. It beats Tobey's mumbly voice overs. (plus I feel it's earned with the introduction of Jarvis all the way back in Iron Man).

I'll probably see it again.

Quote Originally Posted by jharker View Post
    But none of the action set pieces gripped me or felt refreshing. I think part of that is by design (I read that they didn't want any swinging scenes like the other movies) and it's tough to do something new by movie 6. Bur it still felt very unexciting.
    I felt the complete opposite about the action. It felt new and refreshing. I'm so sick of buildings exploding and crumbling in every superhero movie. It's so overdone. Instead we get a scene at the Washington Monument that created so much tension because Spidey is still learning the ropes, and he had to figure out how to make a rescue in such a small amount of time.

Even the ferry scene showed how imperfect he still is as a superhero. It's a nice change, and shows how a hero who is just starting out would struggle a little.

And loved seeing Spidey being put in a situation where there were no skyscrapers to swing on. That too, felt refreshing, and realistic. Since we actually see Spidey needing other modes of transportation to get to where he wants to go.
    Last edited by Digital Klown; 07-08-2017 at 05:53 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Digital Klown View Post
    I felt the complete opposite about the action. It felt new and refreshing. I'm so sick of buildings exploding and crumbling in every superhero movie. It's so overdone. Instead we get a scene at the Washington Monument that created so much tension because Spidey is still learning the ropes, and he had to figure out how to make a rescue in such a small amount of time.

Even the ferry scene showed how imperfect he still is as a superhero. It's a nice change, and shows how a hero who is just starting out would struggle a little.

And loved seeing Spidey being put in a situation where there were no skyscrapers to swing on. That too, felt refreshing, and realistic. Since we actually see Spidey needing other modes of transportation to get to where he wants to go.
    Agree... (SPOILER ALERT)....

....the scenes of him trashing the neighbourhood as he tries to get to the place he wants to go and hasn't yet figured out his balance/power/weight issues, etc.....or having to simply run across the park...was refreshing.

Angry Black Guy [SUPPORTER] dmario's Avatar
    As much as I hate that Ultimate cartoon, this movie was pretty fun.
    dmario.org - business up front!

dEVIANTart - party in the back!

This movie was absolutely amazing. The entire suburbs scene is straight out of my favorite comic book issue of all time, Amazing Spider-Man 267 ("When Commeth the Commuter" - written by Peter David, art by Bob McLeod) - the webline into the air is one of the best panels in the whole book. I nearly lost my mind at the fact that they pulled from that particular comic book. Then they just continued with great story and action, made a case for a future J. Jonah jameson to call Spider-Man a "menace", intro the Scorpion and the Prowler with the possibility of a Miles Morales tie-in and give us the most iconic Spider-Man willpower comic scene of all time as he gets buried in rubble.

I was in shock leaving the theater. I nearly cried because it gave me everything I ever wanted from a Spider-Man movie.
    Cheers, Alex

Ma-Ma's not the law... I'm the LAW! [SUPPORTER] 50%grey's Avatar
    Loved the movie.

When they were fighting on the plane, I thought for sure they were going to break into the Spider Man theme song when Parker started winning, but it never happened.
    “Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art.” ― Andy Warhol