Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Spider-Man: Homecoming

Quote Originally Posted by Pencilero View Post

Am I the only person who thinks this kid looks very mature? It's like a 30 year old head on a 17 year old body.
    Yes, you are the only one.
    Cheers, Alex

Quote Originally Posted by Pencilero View Post
    Am I the only person who thinks this kid looks very mature? It's like a 30 year old head on a 17 year old body.
    You must be, he enrolled in and attended a NYC High School in order to prepare for the role.. Nobody knew or suspected a thing.
    FWIW, my 13 year old almost has a full mustache.
    I am always doing that which I cannot do, in order that I may learn how to do it. ~Pablo Picasso

my deviantart
    my sketchbook

Testing... for Science. [SUPPORTER]
    [Moderator]
    Well, he attended a high school in NYC for three days. But yeah, in secret, and I reckon he got the observational experience he was looking for.

He also turned 20 earlier this year, so at least he's properly close to the age of the character. Tobey Maguire was 25 or 26 when he played the role, and Andrew Garfield was 26 0r 27.

Most men don't gain their full growth until their early 20's, so Holland manages to encapsulate the slightly gawky, still-growing physicality of an actual teenage boy. I agree, he's got a face that can play older (he probably won't have a career playing teenagers and young men like some actors have done well into their 30's) but when he's performing, he's reasonably believable as a teenager.

Though I read they're casting Parker as 15 in the movie, so that feels a bit extreme. I would have expected 17.
    ONLINE PORTFOLIO
    DevArt

"If something's getting made, then someone's getting paid."

Quote Originally Posted by Inkthinker View Post
    Well, he attended a high school in NYC for three days. But yeah, in secret, and I reckon he got the observational experience he was looking for.

He also turned 20 earlier this year, so at least he's properly close to the age of the character. Tobey Maguire was 25 or 26 when he played the role, and Andrew Garfield was 26 0r 27.

Most men don't gain their full growth until their early 20's, so Holland manages to encapsulate the slightly gawky, still-growing physicality of an actual teenage boy. I agree, he's got a face that can play older (he probably won't have a career playing teenagers and young men like some actors have done well into their 30's) but when he's performing, he's reasonably believable as a teenager.

Though I read they're casting Parker as 15 in the movie, so that feels a bit extreme. I would have expected 17.
    I think the move to cast him as 15 is probably to keep the writing flexible. They could set the next film(s) in college.. or.. if they get them out fast, they can set them in HS.. I would guess, probably 2 HS 1 college if they do a trilogy.

I wonder how Venom will fit into all of this... or if he will stay trapped in development hell forever :/
    I am always doing that which I cannot do, in order that I may learn how to do it. ~Pablo Picasso

my deviantart
    my sketchbook

Angry Black Guy [SUPPORTER] dmario's Avatar
    you know that awful Ultimate Spider-man cartoon that everyone hates except 6 yr olds?

This is pretty much that exact same thing, in live action.

Young HS Peter
    Young Aunt May
    Multiracial cast
    SHIELD/STARK augmentations to costume
    FP narration
    dmario.org - business up front!

dEVIANTart - party in the back!

There are some interesting tidbits people have noticed in the trailer that make me wonder about the timeline.

-Parker is wearing a homemade costume in the trailer (while fighting shocker in the car park)

-The teaser thingie shows him getting picked up by Happy Hogan for something, who asks him why he isn't wearing the suit Stark made him. (It seems like he hasn't worn the suit before, so I don't think he loses the Civil War one at some point).

-In the car, Stark still has the bruise on his face that he got at the airport fight. He doesn't have it in the other moment in the trailer.

Most Marvel films take place in "real time", so roughly a year after the last one happened. This one however seems to weave in that civil war moment into the story if all of those details add up

I wonder if we are going to see a "year in the life" kind of thing. So Peter is dealing with the Vulture problem and not doing it well, which gets him on Tony's radar. Then the fallout of that allows him to take on the Vulture and his goons in earnest, but with repercussions of their own. Looks like he'll go against Tony's wishes, and maybe that's why the police is chasing him?

That would be an interesting way of giving him that outsider status and branding him a menace.

I'm really excited to see how it all will turn out

Quote Originally Posted by dmario View Post
    you know that awful Ultimate Spider-man cartoon that everyone hates except 6 yr olds?

This is pretty much that exact same thing, in live action.

Young HS Peter
    Young Aunt May
    Multiracial cast
    SHIELD/STARK augmentations to costume
    FP narration

I like that show, and I'm 30... :P

I'm pretty sure a High School kid is not going to want to register under the Sarkovia Accords.. Really in hindsight, I think calling Civil War .. Civil War was premature. Maybe Disassembled or something would have made more sense. Now you have this young guy who was conscripted by a billionaire to fight against insanely powerful people on foreign soil (pretty sure they trashed a German airport and numerous aircraft and vehicles).. to promote a pro-registration standpoint that forces them to require government oversight.. while.. on an op without any government oversight..

Now that I think about it that was really stupid.. but hey, it was an excuse to get Spidey in
    (that was a tangent.. back to the original thought)

So.. now that all of that is out of the way and Tony is seemingly still pro-registration, is he going to force his new protege.. a minor.. whose legal guardian doesn't know about his superhero identity to register? In fact, did he even get clearance from Ross (or whoever they now answer to) to recruit, train, and equip this HS student? IMO this is exactly why you don't go too far with the "hyper realistic" take on Superhero films. You go to far and actual reality has to start coming into play. It's one of the very very few things I liked about Blade 3.. A badass running around killing vampires is cool until someone actually finds out and then he's a psychopath.

my deviantart
    my sketchbook

I do hope they clear up all those things that you mention. As of now it doesn't really make sense for Stark to bring this kid into that airport fight, and then tell him off.
    It's possible that he changed his mind after seeing how unprepared he was at the airport fight. Or maybe the plan was always to have him sign the dotted line, have some sanctioned back up for that one fight, and then have control over the guy's superhero activities.

In the Ultimate comics Peter wasn't allowed to be a superhero by Nick Fury as Shield they had ownership of him in a convoluted way. I think they're going transpose that storyline to a degree, with the Sokovia Accords being the reason for that.

I think I liked it.

I can't say for certain, because I wasn't able to focus on large parts of the movie because of some douchebags behind me. I'm almost certain they were even blazing at some point (in the theatre!) before they suddenly left during the climax, never to be seen again.

So yeah, that was fun...

But overall I got the impression that it's a pretty good Spider-man film, but I also get the sense it's doesn't really feel super special?
    Part of that's deliberate because it's the most grounded spider-man film yet, but maybe it's also because this is the sixth Spidey film?
    It really does feel like a high school movie that just happens to have superhero action in it. Which is perfect for the character, but it's so weird to see a huge superhero tentpole movie where the action is the least interesting part about it. The setpieces almost feel deliberately mundane. Either way it feels very different from any of the other Spidey films.

I'll have to see again to really make up my mind about it.