Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 789101112 LastLast

Thread: Dracula the Unconquered #4 pencils

I like your latest pages, don't see the purple a problem given that you're going to color them, you're anticipating the final results, so no one knows better than you the reason for the purple.

In page 9, I think that you could expand the first two panels a bit, maybe Dracula is a bit lost in the first one so getting bigger would help see him, and you could make the reader see better the details of panel 2 by doing the same.

Great work!

Thanks, Almayer. I'll tinker more with that page if I've got time.

Here's Page 12! Halfway through inks.

Great stuff. Nice smooth feel. Clean, but not overworked either.
    Earlier in the thread you were talking about how you "cheated" on your environment a bit. I think you almost have to when dealing with really complex architectural geometry. Otherwise you can't make it worth the time for what it is. I mean, I guess it depends on the priority. Is it to make the story work, or is it to make artistic masterpieces that just happen to be stories as well. There are some European comics that have unbelievably complex, made-from-scratch, architectural geometry, but these same guys would sometimes only produce maybe 50 pages a year on a really good year (like Schuiten), and that's going at full time. As for most us, we probably just do what we have to do.

Here is a Dracula poster I did where the background has a lot of cheating going on, meshed together from a couple of relatively well known pieces of architecture. It could have used more work, but I had one month to do five posters.
    (sorry, not trying to hijack the thread here, but where it is Dracula...)

Nexus, thanks for the thoughts! It seems like there's a good middle ground between taking the time to draw it *right*- accurate perspective, thorough research, correct lighting and shadow- and just *getting it done* that makes for the best comics. I think I'm in a stage of my development right now where I'm getting the most value from learning how to get it technically right. Once that ability is rock-solid, I figure I can scale how much I apply that or balance it with the needs of drama or speed and cheat with a clear conscience.

Cant' believe it's been almost two months since I finished some pages though- sheesh! Freelance art took priority. Here are more pages! 13-15:

And another batch, pages 16-18:

Quote Originally Posted by sdowner View Post
    Thanks, Almayer. I'll tinker more with that page if I've got time.

Here's Page 12! Halfway through inks.
    Hey sdowner, great pages so far, love the inks, but page 12 falls out a bit, I dont know if this will be adressed in the colors, anyway panel three shows no background but a shadow arch, but panel 4 has a fully fleshed out bg, even though we still look at the vampire girl from behind her conversary in paneφ 3. This really took me out. Mainly because even without the detail, the bg in panel 4 would be a vertical black shape. Hope it helps you, this should be an easy fix
    "Censorship is legal vandalization of art" - Urban Dictionary
    |LHW Bottomfeeder|
    PJ Sketchblog
    petethacreepofficial

Thanks, Pete! That's a great point.

Pages 19, 20 and 21!

Love the art! Would love to see it when finished.