Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 67891011 LastLast

Thread: Dracula the Unconquered #4 pencils

Steve, (as usual) your work is fantastic! So many people are in awe of your coloring work, but here you put on full display the time and study that you have put into great storytelling, fun character models, terrific expressions and dynamic layouts. Bravo, my friend. Bravo!

Thanks so much, Eric! It's been a long road of learning to do this well, but I'm glad to be at this level and I look forward to getting much, much better as a storyteller. Drac's one of the ways I want to do that.

Here's Page 7!

Inks for Page 9. Getting my skeleton on. Trying not to just do a poor man's Mike Mignola with these shadows n' skeletons.

The purple panels look out of place, and the detail above the door is too detailed and jars a bit with the rest of the page which is done in a more Mignola style with bold big stylized shapes, but other than those small details, I think it is a beautiful page! I love Mignola's work and love this page too because it has the same quality.

Nice work!

Redmond, Oregon/ also known as Central Oregon
    Love the Skeleton work ..Not crazy about the purple...
    Keep that Pencil Busy!

Thanks for the notes about the purple, guys! It's a placeholder for now to help separate the panels until I lay out the color scheme for this environment. Ayalpinkus, you're right about that second panel. It's way too busy. I'm finding that the key to having lots of shadows is to simplify a TON of detail and not get too busy.

Here's Page 10! Same purple placeholders, a little better organized.

Redmond, Oregon/ also known as Central Oregon
    Care in the color...it stands well as is...
    Keep that Pencil Busy!

Wow, that's a really great page.

I especially love how you manage to put a lot of detail in there while maintainng readability.

First panel, the guy walks in, his suit is dark against the light stairs behind him and he is light against the dark shadow behind hi. Also great depth with the skeleton at the front, looming large relative to his small size. The wall left and the wall and skeletons to the right enclose him, he is trapped visually also. I may be seeing things, but the windows in the buildings left and right of him make me think of spooky ghost eyes.

Fourth panel is great depth and staging again as the skeleton in the front encompasses him visually, his hand looming over him, as if to pluck this little man off the ground.

I like the line variation, it's like you're combining Gabriel Ba's and Fabio Moon's styles, stark black areas, but lines drawn with brush in stead of marker.

Where do the word balloons go? Do you design that in also?

Very nice page!

ayalpinkus-- thanks for the breakdown! I'm a big fan of the Brothers Moon, so being compared to them is an honor.
    I did plan for word balloons in my thumbnail layouts, yes.

Here's Page 11.