Page 1 of 11 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Dracula the Unconquered #4 pencils

Dracula the Unconquered #4 pencils (On to inks!)

Hey! I've started on the fourth issue of my comic series Dracula the Unconquered.

I've got pencils for the first 5 pages here. Would love any thoughts on how to bring the most drama and visual punch while telling a clear story. Especially on these talky pages.

Thanks!

Last edited by sdowner; 04-07-2017 at 09:34 PM.

Looks great to me man.
    Middlweight | W:6 L:0 KOs:4 | Streetfights: W:2 L:0 kOs:1
    LightHeavies | W:7| L :3 KOs: ​6
    http://nabisga.deviantart.com/gallery/

Monkey with Crayons [Moderator] Veritas71's Avatar
    Really cool stuff! Great flow and very easy to read without words.

Just a couple of things I might suggest.
    Page 3, p3 - A hint of the candelabra on the table maybe.
    Last page, p3 - don't forget the hat on the chair.
    OPEN FOR COMMISSIONS!
    My Blog
    My DeviantART Page
    PUMMEL Statistics: 8 Wins - 3 Losses (6-KO's) 2 Month Champ

Thanks, guys! Veritas- The candelabra's there, just gets lost a bit in the lines of the fireplace behind. It'll be clearer in the final lines. And thanks! I totally forgot the hat there. :-D

Page 6 is penciled. I'm finding that drawing castle interiors (even with my references and plans) is a big ol' pain in the neck. I've been cheating quite a bit with this environment, I'm sorry to say.

Well, if there's a cheat I don't care. Love the horizontal panels on this one, especially the details of both waitresses serving and the sense of the little passage of time between the first two!

love it! the storytelling, the characters and especially the interiors

I really love this; especially the establishing shot of the castle on page one. Awesome.

The storytelling is clear and the characters are charming. Page 3 you've got a weird 180 rule transition.. that's the only thing jumping out. I do wonder if you've left enough space for dialog in some of the panels though (no clue how much there is).
    The aforementioned candelabra on the table seems to disappear reappear and slide around.
    It seems like maybe the width of the table jumps around a little though I don't know if it's enough to be a big deal.
    The length of the candles definitely change.
    The width of the chair backs seems to change ever so slightly. Especially in relation to the female.
    The coat of arms to the right of the fireplace seems to change a bit in size and there's a panel where it feels out of perspective/depth with the room.
    The visual style of the candelabra feels inconsistent. In one panel it's ornate and wrapping and in another it's just stems.

^All of that is nitpicking because if I didn't I would just be posting even more compliments because .. seriously, damn. I've had to draw panels with that type of architecture and yours looks fantastic.. and it tracks well from panel to panel. It looks more like storyboards for a feature animation or animatics. Great work!
    I am always doing that which I cannot do, in order that I may learn how to do it. ~Pablo Picasso

my deviantart
    my sketchbook

Ah.. one more thought. The pacing might be too "slow".. meaning the dinner conversation spread out over that many panels.. I had editors from Dark Horse and some indies tell me I broke my conversations down too far and to combine the panels if possible. I think it's going to depend on the book as I have read Sean Murphy books with panels like yours but a lot of big 2 books right now are going lighter on panel count.. I dunno.. not a critique so much as food for thought. I kinda wish there were editors floating about to ask about stuff like that.. I could ask some of the big 2 artists that sometimes reply for their thoughts on it if you are interested..
    I am always doing that which I cannot do, in order that I may learn how to do it. ~Pablo Picasso

my deviantart
    my sketchbook